The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best wet weather tyres

TRD-Rob

You are saying I've just been suckered in simply by a big brand name?! I actually take that quite personally as an insult!

Me too. I spend a lot of time researching parts, i've learnt the hard way that it pays dividends in the end. To have that laughed at and thrown back at me as jumping on the brandname bandwagon is quite an insult!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right to settle an argument, does no one have a test of two tyres, one cheapo, the other a performance tyre, in a supra, with emergency braking at 30mph?

Or any rear wheel drive car? I'd be surprised if the differences where over 10 or so feet

That could be the difference between missing a child or hitting it.

I would rather not lose traction at all in the first place. As I'm sure most others would also.

Whoa, steady on! I agree!

But the only way you'll be sure of that is to go nowhere near the limit.

In fact my comment was more about hard vs soft compound than cheap vs expensive.

Guest Chumpalot
Whoa, steady on! I agree!

But the only way you'll be sure of that is to go nowhere near the limit.

In fact my comment was more about hard vs soft compound than cheap vs expensive.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way mate, i was actually agreeing with you :)

Another thing that can make a huge difference is tyre pressure (something you can't be suckered into buying, Ian :D)

As a perfect example, my ITR's tyres were all at 30-32 psi and it was handling awfully. Was very slidy and didn't instil confidence in me at all!

So, today i checked the stock pressures (35fr and 33rr) and adjusted accordingly. What a difference!!

So in short, i'll be sticking to top class tyres at the correct pressures and will be checking them weekly from now on! (i'm ashamed to say it was likely to be monthly before now)

Ian

Guest Chumpalot

Interesting Ian, where can you find out info on what stock pressures to use for certain tyres?

I'm using 32psi all round on my 19s. That was from searching on here and it seemed to be what most used. Would be interested if I could get some concrete figures though.

Next up, using red diesel so that you aren't tempted to go past 4000rpm and wear your engine out. Discuss.

lol:d

Well luckily I dont drive my car in the wet, anymore, as I dont feel the need, (no I dont just get out my car in the middle of the M8 at the first sign of drizzle).

But how anyone can think that the supra is good handling in the wet is beyond me, unless truely set up its miles apart from any 4wheel drive I have experienced, but thats the small sacrifice I'm prepared to make

Interesting Ian, where can you find out info on what stock pressures to use for certain tyres?

I'm using 32psi all round on my 19s. That was from searching on here and it seemed to be what most used. Would be interested if I could get some concrete figures though.

Stock pressures for the supra are higher than that mate (36psi all round iirc).

That said, you're not running stock wheels or tyres but i'd when i had my supra i had mine at 34psi all round.

(my Integra has stock wheels/tyres btw)

How do you find the P0's wear Ian?

Seems like a lot of talk about things other than what tire to chose in the wet going on.

I'm not Ian, but I'm about to replace my Pzero Nero M+S's and I have to say it's been the best tire in the wet by far. I've tried 6 different tires over the course of 6 years in very wet conditions, both in Okinawa (sub-tropical) and here in NW Germany where it rains all the damn time. My Pzeros lasted over a year and that's with three trips to the Nurburgring. Supra's suck in the rain compared to a car that's good in the rain. I'll leave that open to interuptation, but suffice to say, it's been one of the worse in the wet I've owned.

That being said, I'm changing to Bridgestone Potenza 960 Pole Positions on both my Supra and BMW because they were rated even better than the Pzero's (tirerack). As soon as I do a thousand miles or so, I'll post an update on performance.

Just my two cents.

Guest Chumpalot

But surely comparing RWD cars to 4WD cars is pointless. Apples and oranges and all that.

Everyone knows the Supra can be a bit twitchy at times. As mentioned before you just need a sensible head on you.

Guest Chumpalot
Stock pressures for the supra are higher than that mate (36psi all round iirc).

That said, you're not running stock wheels or tyres but i'd when i had my supra i had mine at 34psi all round.

(my Integra has stock wheels/tyres btw)

What size wheels were you running when you were using 34psi out of interest? 32 was the figure that came up the most when I searched. I took a quick glance at the car today when I locked it and the front seemed to look slightly flat... ? Perhaps I'll put some more in there.

What size wheels were you running when you were using 34psi out of interest? 32 was the figure that came up the most when I searched. I took a quick glance at the car today when I locked it and the front seemed to look slightly flat... ? Perhaps I'll put some more in there.

they were on 18s with 235fr and 255rr (not that makes any difference really)

as said, i'd definitely put more in than 32 mate. try 36psi (stock) and experiment a bit...like i said i found 34psi to suit mine quite well.

Guest Chumpalot
they were on 18s with 235fr and 255rr (not that makes any difference really)

as said, i'd definitely put more in than 32 mate. try 36psi (stock) and experiment a bit...like i said i found 34psi to suit mine quite well.

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated

I think that cheap/average tyres can assist in letting you know how the car reacts at the limit whilst still going at a modest speed.

I agree that it is regardless of being wet or dry, summer or winter, however if you want to experience the car breaking away to see how it reacts and to learn how you should react then there is some sense in doing this, in the wet, and with tyres that allow it at lower speeds.

when i got the car i had avons on the rear and goodyear f1s on the front. the avons lasted about 3 months and then when i had it mot'd they were fucked, i was a bit... wtf already?

i have some hancook on atm. they seem quite good in the wet.

3 months bloody hell they mush have been really soft that or you love to spin the wheels :D