The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more power

gaz1

The question is gaz, do you want something streetable or something thats a damn right hooligan when you've broke boost..... Theres so many pro's and con's to everything....

Yeah smaller turbo's are soooo much more streetable and so much more easier to drive..... but when u come up against the big boys you do suffer in mid to top end power...

At the end of the day its all what your after....

I don't believe theres the best of both worlds.. ive no doubt in a challange you'd be ahead somewhat until i broke boost..... on a straight

On the twisty's you'd have me hands down....'

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The question is gaz, do you want something streetable or something thats a damn right hooligan when you've broke boost..... Theres so many pro's and con's to everything....

Yeah smaller turbo's are soooo much more streetable and so much more easier to drive..... but when u come up against the big boys you do suffer in mid to top end power...

At the end of the day its all what your after....

I don't believe theres the best of both worlds.. ive no doubt in a challange you'd be ahead somewhat until i broke boost..... on a straight

On the twisty's you'd have me hands down....'

that is the problem i was thinking build a streetable drag car but is there such a thing, i love the street driving and would probably not want to sacrifice that, but do like top end grunt too:rolleyes:

that is the problem i was thinking build a streetable drag car but is there such a thing, i love the street driving and would probably not want to sacrifice that, but do like top end grunt too:rolleyes:

So do you just need a couple of different turbos(one small one big?) and different maps available?

Sad to say, it's a big lump of cast iron, 2 valves per cylinder, pushrods, a BIG carburettor, but with 11,500 CC's you don't need high tech... I have driven a `Vette with something a tad smaller in, and I have to say that it was quite unlike any road car I have ever driven. Dangerous, but hell, do those big old motors make TORQUE :)

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/705ci_chevy_big_block/index.html

I have already considered putting the ZL1 engine in a Supra, all ally big block chevy IF you can find one. Lighter than a stock Supra block, further back in the engine bay for better weight distribution etc. But only 71 of these engines were ever made. 600hp without trying hard, and plenty more if you want ;)

You can build seriously large big block Chevys on alloy blocks now, there are quite a few half sensibly priced options around. Finding a manual box and a diff to handle a beast like that is another problem though. Assuming you made suitable mods to run enough rubber to a bit of traction a thing like that would annihilate the stock drivetrain.

I built a 7 litre all alloy small block a while ago, and put it in a customers TVR Tuscan. That went quite well. It made 680 BHP on Swindons dyno at about 6000 RPM, and should have been safe revved harder, but with 45 thou inch between the rod bolts and the cam it seemed unwise to get too cocky.

You wont notice that much difference between 500 and 700 in the low gears it is as you go into the higher gears the car just pulls harder and harder as there is more resistance the more the turbo works. The power starts to come in at 5000 about 300hp by 6000 its making 750hp it flys between 6000 and 8000 up to 850hp.

You need a high rev limit for it to work rev limiter is at 8500 but could go to 9000. with a six speed manual the fact that the power comes in at 5000 only matters in 1st once its in its power band there is no lag you need to learn to drive it so that you know what gear you need to be in at the road speed.

I always amazed at how much power a supra can put down on a dry road once its into second. The rate of acceleration is mind blowing at high speed. The car is capable of phenominal speed you can hit 160 down B roads 180 on an A road.

The temptation is to use the power on the road its hard not to so for that reason you cant enjoy the car on the road it really is too fast you will kill your self or end up with no licence or locked up.

People say that big turbo supras are not fast on the road due to lag. Try driving one with 7000hp big brakes sorted transmission and suspension and then tell me its not fast 1460 kg and 700hp gives you the same power to weight ratio as a veyron.

You wont notice that much difference between 500 and 700 in the low gears it is as you go into the higher gears the car just pulls harder and harder as there is more resistance the more the turbo works. The power starts to come in at 5000 about 300hp by 6000 its making 750hp it flys between 6000 and 8000 up to 850hp.

You need a high rev limit for it to work rev limiter is at 8500 but could go to 9000. with a six speed manual the fact that the power comes in at 5000 only matters in 1st once its in its power band there is no lag you need to learn to drive it so that you know what gear you need to be in at the road speed.

I always amazed at how much power a supra can put down on a dry road once its into second. The rate of acceleration is mind blowing at high speed. The car is capable of phenominal speed you can hit 160 down B roads 180 on an A road.

The temptation is to use the power on the road its hard not to so for that reason you cant enjoy the car on the road it really is too fast you will kill your self or end up with no licence or locked up.

People say that big turbo supras are not fast on the road due to lag. Try driving one with 7000hp big brakes sorted transmission and suspension and then tell me its not fast 1460 kg and 700hp gives you the same power to weight ratio as a veyron.

Wise words Mr Sherwood... Can we have a 700 plus club on here :-)

I built a 7 litre all alloy small block a while ago, and put it in a customers TVR Tuscan. That went quite well. It made 680 BHP on Swindons dyno at about 6000 RPM, and should have been safe revved harder, but with 45 thou inch between the rod bolts and the cam it seemed unwise to get too cocky.

I presume this is the road legal Tuscan Race Car? There's a 383ci iron block Tuscan mk1 around too. Even that only weighed about 7kg's more than the all alloy speed six engined car.

Lingenfelter sell shortblock LS7's for $9999, fully dressed heads are $2000, exhaust system is $1500 for 2 four branch manifolds two cats and a mid section, EMS $2500, injectors $400, it goes on and on, I got bored and checked out having spent $22,000, have another $4000 for things I forgot and ta da, £14,000 for a 600bhp 600lbs.ft lightweight V8, the labour & taxes would need more thorough workings out.