gaz1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Terry S

Having owned a 690bhp ( engine dyno) & a 550 bhp ( dyno dynamics)supra both on road fuel, I can honestly say the lower BHP car would be quicker 90% of the time (everywhere except Motorways and fast A roads).

People just love big BHP figures, whereas all they SHOULD be looking at for a road car is area under the torque curve. My take on yanks is well known, but it should be compulsory for every petrol head to drive a big capacity, high compression Yank N/A V8 in a fairly light car at least once in their lives. A big V8 in a very light (read race car) chassis, is just awesome. You need to have seen John Foulston in his Can Am Lola T-530 in the eighties, coming down the back straight into Lodge at Oulton to know what I mean, the sheer grunt of the thing made you tingle all over. Terry is totally correct, a fast spooling turbo making a genuine 500 and a bit BHP is enough to make a MKIV totally wild to drive. I use Wez's as a benchmark, never having had the pleasure of seeing Terrys yet. His is enough to show just how much compliance is in the stock suspension, and just how much all those bushes flex when a load more torque than Toyota intended is put through them.

530vdspd.jpg

My personal take on the subject is that if you are going to go for big power, then you just need to go for higher revs as well, to keep your car moving on the street.

The unfortunate thing though is once the Supra get's up to about 7500 RPM under boost, it does sound like you're kicking it's arse.

Before I went BTT, I was going to go for a stupidly large single, but a 9K RPM limit, combined with the auto diff ratio, and 6 speed box. My intention was to try to go for a motor that, OK would be laggy, but it wouldn't really matter, as I would be screaming the tits off it up at over 6K for most of it's life.

That way the area under the torque curve between 3000-5500 RPM isn't quite so important, as you'll only be there for 1st gear.