The mkiv Supra Owners Club

If building a Supra for TOTB, what would the spec be ?

Muffleman

the brakes would only be used for the handling circuit, which from memory isn't that long.. so why would you need such an expensive setup as already suggested?

Surely any of the 6pot conversions ( front and rear ) would be adequate? £5K seems an excessive amount - which I'd rather spend on making the car as light as possible to stay competitive in the handling circuit.

Who's that Bobbeh? Is that the one that did the one lap of America? There was another street race car in the US I have some videos of...

the fellas who did that write up on building a big power engine...there were 4 vids on you tube, two twins who keep saying check out this trick turbo, and this trick header etc etc....twas a silver one

Thats a good point Steve. If it were only for the TOTB curcuit, surely the UK spec setup (with the right pads and master cyclinder) would be more than sufficient? IMO, an aftermarket setup would only really help if it were lighter than the UK setup (unsprung mass and all that)

the fellas who did that write up on building a big power engine...there were 4 vids on you tube, two twins who keep saying check out this trick turbo, and this trick header etc etc....twas a silver one

If we're talking about the same one.... half of the stuff they said was complete cr*p :innocent: No doubt they knew what they were doing, but that was for a road car not a stripped out track beast.

Remember to use the lightest wheels you can get your hands on.

My brake set up is very good, and would easily be up to the job for totb BUT Paul Whiffins Kad brakes are a hell of a lot lighter and even better on track than UK's, and weight is the name of the game here, perhaps have £4k's worth of brakes under the 'nice to have' bracket.

GRP wings & doors would help too (oh damn you'll have to fit a TRD3k kit lol)

oh, and another - the active front spoiler, it's motor and loom. It's ridiculously heavy and most of it's in front of the wheels.

And then probably the entire stock front bumper replaced with a lightweight one like the stillen, none of that heavy GRP stuff ;)

dont think supras will ever do real well at totb.all small agile cars do best on handling.big turbo stripped out monsters for drag racing.the 2 8 second skylines sounded like the big pro v8`s running 6 and 7`s at santapod.did they only compete in drag and top speed?

the gt35r/gt4088r (like jamie`s car) seem to be good all rounders.

like the idea of a light supra.mine never came with cruise control or have active spoiler or sub/amp.would have loved to take part looked such good fun.good to see stock turbo cars doing loads better.

that fwd golf had no traction problems just seemed to go and was in 11`s

how is that?

becuase Toyota are clever chaps..the car was designed to take the wheels and the offsets, suspension initially used, I just think if the car had needed lightweight 18's from the factory they would be on there....this is my view and I know others will dissagree and say 18's were not around back then blah blah, it was designed as a sports saloon so performance wise they would have spent plenty of ££ developing the most efficient/performing setup they could

im not saying it cant be improved, but I would hate to think of the cost of improving dramatically on whats already there, its sort of a knock on effect what a lot of people overlook, if the suspension is uprated other components also need doing etc etc

becuase Toyota are clever chaps..the car was designed to take the wheels and the offsets, suspension initially used, I just think if the car had needed lightweight 18's from the factory they would be on there....this is my view and I know others will dissagree and say 18's were not around back then blah blah, it was designed as a sports saloon so performance wise they would have spent plenty of ££ developing the most efficient/performing setup they could

im not saying it cant be improved, but I would hate to think of the cost of improving dramatically on whats already there, its sort of a knock on effect what a lot of people overlook, if the suspension is uprated other components also need doing etc etc

I understand where you are coming from, its a good point.

but because toyota are making it for a profit, I dont think they would have gone for the best of everything... limits have to have been put on the build of the supra. also if you are changing suspension, brake setup, etc you have changed the geo for the car too much to not warrant new/lightweight wheels.

but that leads onto an interesting piece 16s/17s/18s??