The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tyres rubbing

Branners

Thats even similar to mine, never had any problems with rubbing on a Falken 451, then changed to a Falken 452, and rubbing, serious rubbing. Car went to CW for one of his suspension setups, car still rubs a bit but no where near as bad and thats mainly cause I wanted to keep the ride height down, so now GVN are hopefully going to do what someone else above said.......

The Falken FK451 has always been a skimpy tyre in comparison to others of the same width, The FK452 is much better and on par with others of the same width, hence your rubbing issue.

There is no arch liner on the rear John, the Bridgestones have a much squarer shoulder compared to the conti's hence the rubbing.

I think if you have the arches rolled very slightly you should be OK without cracking any paint.

theres certainly a flappy bit of plastic behind the wheel which has rub marks on it. I will get it looked at when its in the bodyshop next week.

JB

my car is lowered i have 285/35/18 on the rear.the arches are cut back and have falken tyres, [more radius on the edges]for clearance .They only rub on left rear when hitting a crater, sorry pot hole, on our shit roads in bristol.:soap:

• 1 month later...

most of the tyre contact problems can be sorted very cheaply by fitting rubber spring assistors. These are tough durable rubber donuts that insert into the coil of your suspension spring and they work a treat.

They come in different sizes and its just a case of putting in the correct size to stop your spring compressing far enough to allow the tyre to make contact to wheel arch.

They only cost about £13 and can be ordered from Halfords or the internet from Greyston ---> website --> http://www.springassisters.co.uk/

I have used them on my cars and they do the job really well.

• 5 months later...

Doesn't it just mean you bang into the rubber stop (and it's really just a glorified bump stop) earlier than you would if your wheels fitted properly? Transmitting shock loads into the whole car instead of absorbing them normally?

Wouldn't it also add a lot of compliance by having an oingy boingy bit between spring and car?

Just resurrecting this thread....wanted to know more about spring assistors...is this a recommended way to solve the tyre rubbing issue?

does it make the suspension really hard?

No, it doesn't make it any harder if you have reasonably standard shocks - I put the rings on as a temporary measure until I get the lowering springs replaced by standard height ones