The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im gutted - had an accident this morning

Vicky

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get it, how people with manual gearbox would loose control over their car (unless it is really diesel or other oil on road). I'm always amazed, that when there is first sign of rain, all leaving Supras in garages/driveways, do not matter if it is TT or NA (LOL) and using another car. I for instance, found out, that Supra is one of the safest cars I drove - reasonable size tires, pretty hard suspesions and very very easy to control, even when sliding.

And there is my question - how many of you guys had weather training in your car? Those are powerfull cars, yes, and in unexperienced hands can be very dangerous for driver, especially backstabbing autoboxes.

I have over 13 years of experience of driving in very icy conditions for over 3 months every year, last 2 years I'm driving 8-9 hours/day. I find driving Supra very safe and easy in any kind of road conditions, just use common sense... You do not really have to crawl 20 miles/hours when it is wet, just do not make any sudden turns and keep easy on corners.

I've been in auto supes since I started. I rapidly learned to predict its drop downs as I hardly ever don't give it some. Weather regardless I push the car as hard as it will go. I was chuffed with the instructors comments at castle donington when he said to me that he was very surprised that my luxo barge handled so well and that I fed the rear wheel power with no TC at all in a very good and controlled manner in extremely heavy rain.

I've been in auto supes since I started. I rapidly learned to predict its drop downs as I hardly ever don't give it some. Weather regardless I push the car as hard as it will go. I was chuffed with the instructors comments at castle donington when he said to me that he was very surprised that my luxo barge handled so well and that I fed the rear wheel power with no TC at all in a very good and controlled manner in extremely heavy rain.

...but did you get a blue peter badge brian?:)

sorry to hear about ur car mate, same happend to me 6 month's ago, back end just went from me, insurance guy just came to house and wrote it off,there and then ! passenger wheels all buckled and four tyres came off car, i disagreed and sent it to be checked over by a third party, who told me there was no damage underneath, just needed, new wheels and tyres and a full geo set up. back on road, but had to av insurance guy to drive car and put a brand new mot on car ! hope ev thing goes ok

I was pulling away from some lights just going round a slight bend and the back just went, i was probably only doing 10 mph. Wasnt pushing the car or accelarating fiercly, just driving normally, cant believe it!

I ended up facing the wrong way but my car went up an embankment, the rear off side wheel has buckled in, i hate to think what damage has been done underneath :(. The bodywork itself has not been marked which is lucky. Just waiting for the insurance company to ring me back as it needs a recovery truck to take it away. Im gutted, hope it hasnt written it off.

Sorry to here that Vicky, main thing is your okay, you might want to check out the neck if you still have any pain tomorrow.

Just pop down to your local A&E they will check you out and give you a certificate for insurance, which will be useful if you have to make a claim later.

Car's can be fixed more easily than people. That's what I always think about. Seams harsh but I'd rather fix the car than my leg, neck or something more serious.

It's c**p that no one stopped to help or even check you where okay. But if you managed to walk out of the car that was a good thing, people pick up on that and keep driving. They don't want to be implicated in the accident its not personal. ( I always stop to check and offer to be a witness FYI )

Also check out your tires, I had a similar problem with Eagle F1s changed them for Toyo Proxy T1S not had the same problem since, 'touch wood'.

Keep us informed, if you need a second opinion on the car's work this forum will be your best bet.

Keep well.

I'm sorry but my money is still on the unsuspected unrequired kick downs that have killed many a supra. The roads would have to be completely covered in oily substances to justify the amount of diesel spills we hear about these days.

mine is a manual n/a :)

I'm sorry - I have every sympathy and would be very pissed off if I crashed my car - but exactly how slippery is diesel supposed to be? Going round a slight bend at 10mph - I could do that on ice and I wouldn't slide off the road. I'm very sure a sports car with 4 fat tyres could manage it even if a bit of diesel was on the road.

I'm sorry - I have every sympathy and would be very pissed off if I crashed my car - but exactly how slippery is diesel supposed to be? Going round a slight bend at 10mph - I could do that on ice and I wouldn't slide off the road. I'm very sure a sports car with 4 fat tyres could manage it even if a bit of diesel was on the road.

Ive no idea how slippery diesel is as i havent said i drove over any, i think people have said it must of been that to cover up and make fun of my poor driving skills :D

Ive no idea how slippery diesel is as i havent said i drove over any, i think people have said it must of been that to cover up and make fun of my poor driving skills :D

Diesel is well slippery. Not like sheet ice, but definitely on a par with a frosty road. Way, way more slippery than a 'normal' wet road.

You're very lucky not to end up in the scenery if you hit a decent sized patch at any sort of speed.

As you say, the Diesel comments are a bit tongue in cheek.:)

I had my cars rear drift out slighty in the dry pulling out from a junction but managed to catch it and not hit the curb. Quite shocking as i was barely accelerating and only going

I dont know, i wouldnt of thought so as they have been on the car for a while but i'll soon find out when the garage ring me 2mrw, i think it was just one of those things, im happy that nobody else was hurt and it could of been worse.

These things happen, gotta smile, get it fixed then wait for the next time :D

You should be fine.

A mate of mine lost it at a round about (doing alot more then 10mph) and smashed 3 of his wheels completely. I told him to get the suspention/alignment checked but he is still driving it a few weeks on having only put new wheels on... :rolleyes:

You should be fine.

A mate of mine lost it at a round about (doing alot more then 10mph) and smashed 3 of his wheels completely. I told him to get the suspention/alignment checked but he is still driving it a few weeks on having only put new wheels on... :rolleyes:

Come on, be realistic, a new set of wheels is far cheaper than getting the alignment done :D

Come on, be realistic, a new set of wheels is far cheaper than getting the alignment done :D

The new wheels were cheaper for him as I gave them to him for free. Cheapskate has an accident and doesnt cost him a dime. He even got a lift home in a supra.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chumpalot

sorry to hear about that Vicky, hopefully the car didn't substain too much damage and it'll be an easy-fix.

Dave

I've hit diesel spills and it's not funny.

Overfilled lorry tanks are often the culprits, they allow it to overspill on sharp turns.

You can't even see it many times, it's pot luck. Just count yourself lucky you were not on a motorbike.