The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mint NSX totalled at Japfest.

b_have

Yeah I saw that, he came round the bend and fish tailed slight, but looked like he let off and then it spun, he tried to correct and hit the tyre wall, flipped onto its side then rolled over. Feel for the bloke, he was ok, but had no track day insurance and took the train home. He was just about to move house and was looking to sell it. Not good.

Also saw whifbits RX7, Paul wasnt driving it but his mate and another guy, the whole cabin was engulfed in flames and they used the emergency extinguisher button and then some fire extinguishers, both guys had singed eyebrows and their coats were all melted and burned. Lucky esacape really. Car wasnt too badly damaged. Loved the whifbits drifting was mint guys well done.

Didnt see what happened to the blue scooby but did see it smouldering away after its engine fire. Wasnt looking pretty.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would NEVER take my car on the track at one of the Japfest days. The track itself is a car killer, no room for error, and the guys on the track have very little respect for the other cars out there. The times I have been there have been at least 4 write offs each time.

Its a shame to see Pauls RX7 go out like that. Wonder if its rebuildable.

JB

im suprised your still awake mate.

or did you get gaz to do all the driving

No I got Kevin to do it all :innocent:

I really feel for Paul and crew that car is toasted sounds like a lucky escape for the driver/passenger. So glad they had all the proper safety gear or that could have ended up much worse.

Also bad news for Zen, that is a quick car as we've been up against it at Pod :(

Shame about the NSX, they put on a good show at the event.

Gaz.

Seriously, its not that bad at all. Just a bit of paintwork at the back, a few crispy wires, seats need a retrim and a good clean now its caked in extinguisher dust! That stuff is evil shit, its everywhere and horrible to remove. Annoying thing is Tony managed to put the fire out before the marshalls had arrived, they turned up and sprayed there shit all over the interior, and I mean everywhere, useless.

The cause, on the first run of the day the passenger side rear tyre delaminated and cut straight through the fuel filler pipe unseen to us at the time. The car was brimmed with fuel so the fuel was sloshing out of the pipe, all we can think of is that the tyre heat caused it to ignite.

Everyone's ok though which is the main thing, Tony's eyebrows are singed and a Whifbitz jacket which was in the back is toast as well! We had a camera underneath the fuel filler so got it all on film! The camera is brown bread. On the flip side the car was going great and should be a winner with latest raft of mods.

Your Rex 7 was brilliant! I couldn't believe it when it caught fire at more or less the same place as the light blue zen Scooby only the session before yours. The marshalling was diabolical! The Scooby driver had to stand there and watch it go up. Where were standing we could see two extinguishers in the marshals pit just opposite us. So when your Rex pulled up at the same spot, one of the spectators ran out across the track to get the extinguisher.

Seriously, its not that bad at all. Just a bit of paintwork at the back, a few crispy wires, seats need a retrim and a good clean now its caked in extinguisher dust! That stuff is evil shit, its everywhere and horrible to remove. Annoying thing is Tony managed to put the fire out before the marshalls had arrived, they turned up and sprayed there shit all over the interior, and I mean everywhere, useless.

The cause, on the first run of the day the passenger side rear tyre delaminated and cut straight through the fuel filler pipe unseen to us at the time. The car was brimmed with fuel so the fuel was sloshing out of the pipe, all we can think of is that the tyre heat caused it to ignite.

Everyone's ok though which is the main thing, Tony's eyebrows are singed and a Whifbitz jacket which was in the back is toast as well! We had a camera underneath the fuel filler so got it all on film! The camera is brown bread. On the flip side the car was going great and should be a winner with latest raft of mods.

That would this then Paul. Glad everyone was ok.

IMG_1094 (Large).JPG

I would NEVER take my car on the track at one of the Japfest days. The track itself is a car killer, no room for error, and the guys on the track have very little respect for the other cars out there. The times I have been there have been at least 4 write offs each time.

Its a shame to see Pauls RX7 go out like that. Wonder if its rebuildable.

JB

The track itself is fine - I've done three full track days there, must have covered more than 350 miles on the circuit now. The only problems have been with poorly built/maintained cars.

Japfest type days, now that's a different matter. There can't be any instruction, and judging by the drivers behaviour there was no real circuit briefing. Combined with cold cars, lack of track prepping for the cars, lack of driver experience and people showing off to the crowd and trying to make the most of their short sessions, that's what turns it into a demolition derby.

I was personally shocked by how poor the TOTB drivers were - these guys are supposed to be quite good, but they were all over the place - rubbish lines, power going down really late out of corners - just goes to show because TOTB is all drag racing and power, no actual driving talent required.

Looks like the same pictures of the NSX - they capture the moment though. Everyone in the crowd where I was standing was going "No no no no no no..." just watching it going, hoping the guy would catch it, but knowing it was gone.