The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car wont start even after starter refurb

Mas

Guys sorry but need some serious help as I had enough of the bloody car!

The car doesnt start when you turn the ignition on! but as soon as you push jump it, it fires up easily!! thought this is due to the starter motor so went and bought some parts to refurb the starter!

Afetr about 6 hours working on the starter motor and managing to snap one of the long bolts, fitted the starter back in place (with only one long bolt) AND GUESS WHAT?

THE F**KING BA*TARD DOESNT START AGAIN

I'm really disappointed after all the hard work today and no bloody result.

Any idea whats wrong with this bloody thing ? Now have to push jump it again to make it to TurboFit tomorrow, imagine push jumping it when Im gonna take it on the RR Dyno ?!!! :(

The long bolt I snapped is the one you see in the pic that Dave(supra loopy) posted while ago

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=23807&d=1131893545

Low battery or dodgy connections to the starter?

Rob, It wont be low batter as I even tried to jump start it but ignition just didnt click! starter connections are brand new as I said just swaped them over with the old one!

if you have broken that as the solonoide is throughing the arm forward to engauge the starter it may be twisting and not letting it work propley.replase the bolt or get a new starter my friend

so could that be the long bolt I broke then mate?

but I though both of them only holding 2 part of the starter together?!

no need for this level of language in the technical section.

JB

Sorry about that mate, thanks anyway :)

Did you test the starter motor before putting it back in??

I didn't mate, wish I have though :(

thay hold the actually motor to the body, i would of thought that bolt not being there would be a problem

If Mas is turning the key and hee can't hear any noise then it starter motor problems.

I killed my starter motor when i tightened up the bolt for the power lead. Could you have done this?? Do you have a multimeter??

whats really strange : I have exactly the same problem as before I take and refurb the starter?!!

the following things happens:

Whe I turn my ignition on I all power in the dash/radio/guages/bosst controller and all lights in the dash come on but as soon as I reach the last part of the ignition when it meant to fires up it cuts all the power and all the above electric parts go off ?!!

I dont hear a thing from the starter , like its dead ?!!

Same thing happens now that I changed all the starter bits and put new parts!

This is really annoying now ! Hope the guys at TF can help tomorrow. I show you the car James and you check it out tomorrow.

What about the plug?? Does it look ok?? The wires not damaged??

They were all ok , and tbh even when changed the starter parts/connectors the stock ones looked not bad at all!!

sounds like the back of the ing switch could be buggerd, see if there is power goin to the trigger wire of the starter if its not then its not the motor

Thats could be the reason mate! never thought about that :thumbs: how could I get that tested though ?

battery?

That is the only thing to explain why everything goes off when you turn to start position

Clean up all the terminals too and check earths i would put money on the battery

TBH mate I have done that, hope you ll be at TF tomorrow so you could check it and see what you think ?

im at tbf yeah, i could bring my test light too, could check you're ign switch for u

Nice one Ric, look forward to it mate, It made me mad today! never mind the money and the time spent on it, just not knowing what the hell is going on is annoying ;)

Sounds like a dirty connection somewhere. As soon as the starter kicks in and trys to pull large amps, theres a big volts drop over the dirty connection knocking out all your electrics. Check battery terminals, ground leads etc.

Mine did exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago, I cleaned the battery terminal and it seemed fine. I must admit that I had already ordered the starter refurb kit by that time so replaced that too, but no problems in between cleaning terminals and replacing starter kit.

One thing to watch for on the starter refurbs though is making sure the copper contacts stay square inside the solenoid as you tighten the nuts (both the securing nuts and the cable clamp nuts. The contacts can turn a bit as you tighten the nuts up so that they dont make a good contact on the circular solenoid mounted contact. Still even this shouldnt knock out the rest of the electrics - just wont let the starter work.

i think you should be paying all the nice people that helped you give it a jump start :p

hope you find the problem mate

:D I should, shouldn't I ?!

Its all sorted now, was something to do with me ignition and imobiliser !! Mark had to disconnect and rewire them and that sorted the problem, atleast you guys wont be asked to push the car any more :)

Yes the fuse was ok and turned up to be the ignition itself, can't believe spent the whole day refurbing the starter motor for nothing :(

Look on the bright side mate..... At least it won't fail & need doing soon!! :D