The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, engine making knocking noise!

Stonkin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah thats what worries me Chris. I havent started it since i came home in it. I didnt even hear it whilst driving, was only when i got out of it. I wish i knew what it was.

I suspect it isn't anything too serious, if a bearing had gone so badly it knocked at idle I think you would have the low oil pressure light flickering on when it is hot and idling. I think (hope) you'll find it's something fairly trivial, but best to play it safe. You could see if the noise is worse when you take the oil cap off with it idling. It may splash a tiny bit of oil mist out, don't worry about it. You are basically opening up the cam box for the intake cam, so any sounds from within will be a lot louder.

As Chris said, have a listen through the oil filler cap, and also listen all around the head & block with a long screwdriver pressed against your ear (handle end, not sharp end ;)).

If that doesn't sort it give me a shout if you want the oil looking at to determine the cause. I will be able to tell you what component it is by measuring the amount of different metals in the oil. It just needs a small quantity sending off and the results come back a few days later. :D

As Chris says, if the shells had gone you'd very likely lose enough oil pressure to bring on the oil light at idle.

It sounds just like a sticking valve to me. (When it releases and pops up to hit the cam) I've heard one that sounded just like that before. As you lift the engine speed, it tends to get less too. Have you had any work done around the top end recently?

no not had anything done mate, other than a full service of every fluid and filter about 2 weeks ago. Never noticed the sound until tonight. Plugs were not touched during service as they were done a while ago.

Hope you guys are right. Ruffly what kind of price would i be talking to replace a sticking valve?