fed up

paul_y3k

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry S
Does anyone have a single car that does'nt need attention week to week??

No I sold it.

If they are built properly they run just as well as a stock car.

No I sold it.

If they are built properly they run just as well as a stock car.

my thoughts exactly Terry, its just a lot of poor folk on here of late seem to be having rather a few issues, by properly I take it you mean, a big investment in the fuelling/management side of things, I cant see how a turbo system can be setup badly, unless the wrong turbo/housing and el cheapo parts are used, ive always though a healthy investment for a single conversion would be a minimum of 10k

Guest Terry S

Not necessarily huge investment at all, but they do need a bit of thought. Anyone can just bolt a kit on.

I will give you a few examples, Dave, (second jump). His is a pretty good example of what can be achieved without huge money, just the right parts, right know how. Dave has been using his car everyday for probably 2 years + now.

Clarkey, Vortex T61 budget kit installed by Phoenix. 550cc injectors, set up intially with a SAFC by me, later, an e-manage by Ian C. Used everyday for 18 Months before he sold it, zero issues.

And of course Ian C's own car. They all have stock bottom ends & piggy backs. You dont need to have huge amounts of money, but you do need the right help.

Great post Terry :)

You dont need to have huge amounts of money, but you do need the right help.

Agree 100% with this. Its where I went wrong - should have got someone who knew what they were doing to install and set it up. It would have worked out cheaper too.

Not necessarily huge investment at all, but they do need a bit of thought. Anyone can just bolt a kit on.

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but this thread seems to blow apart the whole "why go for hybrids when you can go single for a little bit more".

Forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick, but this thread seems to blow apart the whole "why go for hybrids when you can go single for a little bit more".

Can of worms there ;)

Personal choice, simple as that i guess, either can be made really well, and either can be bodged, its a massive discussion thats been done to death.

Guest Terry S

They simply aren't comparable. You are talking a few remanufactured parts in a turbo/s as opposed to a manifold, wastegate, downpipe, midpipe, intake filter, IC pipe, oh and a new turbo.

IF hybrids were worth having (Power wise) they would need the same supporting mods as a small single.

IMHO hybrids have their place, for people who dont want to tell their insurance company.

Unfortunately singles seem to be getting a bad name recently.

Does anyone have a single car that does'nt need attention week to week??

Mine didn't.

When I went single - I just sussed out who was in the know-how. When I first picked the car up from Phoenix, in August 2005 - there was no issues at all. It drove perfectly.

I reckon the key to going the single route, if you don't know yourself ... then do some networking with techie guys here.

They simply aren't comparable. You are talking a few remanufactured parts in a turbo/s as opposed to a manifold, wastegate, downpipe, midpipe, intake filter, IC pipe, oh and a new turbo.

IF hybrids were worth having (Power wise) they would need the same supporting mods as a small single.

IMHO hybrids have their place, for people who dont want to tell their insurance company.

Unfortunately singles seem to be getting a bad name recently.

:yeahthat: I just couldnt be arsed to type it all out :p

If you believe singles to be overhyped and want hybrids then ill see you when you eventually arrive ;)

:yeahthat: I just couldnt be arsed to type it all out :p

If you believe singles to be overhyped and want hybrids then ill see you when you eventually arrive ;)

Not at all. I think the £2.5k single is overhyped. A full house job like Terry's black car is awesome, I'm sure Jamie's is mindblowing (I haven't been in it yet) but they aren't alternatives to hybrids, for the reasons Terry just mentioned, thus killing the whole arguement of the (budget) single fanboys who hi-jack a thread about hybrids with old "for £500 more you can go single" speech.

If i had the money and know how i would go single, having the know how appears to be key, after speaking to Steve Sherwood he has spent some £20000 on parts alone and done all the work between himself and the co owner, i think you do need to have at least very good disposable income to keep on top of it all, second decat will have to be max for me now!!!

If i had the money and know how i would go single, having the know how appears to be key, after speaking to Steve Sherwood he has spent some £20000 on parts alone and done all the work between himself and the co owner, i think you do need to have at least very good disposable income to keep on top of it all, second decat will have to be max for me now!!!

Steve is running silly power though isn't he, therefore the price tag will justify that?? What Terry is saying would be for a moderatly powered car

I agree with a lot of what's been said. Going single is going to cost. A lot. But you have to accept what you're trying to do here. You're taking a car that cost £40k new, and trying to double the horsepower. You're never going to be able to do it for peanuts.

Don't get me wrong though, there are bargains to be had, and it is, in some cases, possible to cut a couple of corners. But, and this is a BIG BUT, you need to know where you can and can't do that. I think a lot of people get this wrong.

The other thing is what's considered a big issue for some people, like for example the warning light being on, isn't an issue for others.

As for hybrids, I think they've definitely got a place in the market. I'm surprised at all this snobbery, and hypocritcal comments. On one hand you're saying you can't go single cheap, then on the other hand saying don't go for hybrids you can spend a couple of hundred more and get a single. :rolleyes: If they're done properly then you WILL see a performance gain. OK not as much as a single, but then you're spending half as much money. You pay for what you get. If some people can't afford to go the whole hog, but can make a good job of taking a half step, then I see nothing wrong with that. If that wasn't the case, then we'd all either have stock TT's or 1000bhp monsters.

Just to add to that, I've just had a look at a few sums, I recon that the cheapest you could take a stock manual TT to single in the region of T61 size, is going to be about £6.5K plus labour for a UK or £7.5k plus labour for a J-spec (my personal opinion is that ugraded brakes is an absolute must hence the extra grand or so)

For an auto, you should add just under £2k for a built autobox on top of that.

I've spent ages trying to find ways to get the cost down from that, but I just can't see how you could reliably do it for less.

Not at all. I think the £2.5k single is overhyped. A full house job like Terry's black car is awesome, I'm sure Jamie's is mindblowing (I haven't been in it yet) but they aren't alternatives to hybrids, for the reasons Terry just mentioned, thus killing the whole arguement of the (budget) single fanboys who hi-jack a thread about hybrids with old "for £500 more you can go single" speech.

Absolutely, however, please do not confuse me with a budget fanboi, nothing could be further from the truth ;)