The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why are you made to feel bad when you call in sick?

p111ddy

Management discretion. Basically we look after people we know are properly ill.

Have a lad with a weird skin problem which means he's effectively allergic to sunlight. He ended up with skin cancer (which is under control now), obviously all paid etc. We're not monsters ;)

That's fair enough then :thumbs: Our managers just do it across the board. Last thing you need when you're sick is money worries.

Good in theory but if you're legitimately ill that causes serious problems - when i was off sick with Glandular Fever (during a time when i was working 9 hours a day and having to revise at night for qualification exams), i was screwed as i made myself even worse by trying to work with it. Living on your own with bills to pay and getting paid nothing for about 3 months has put me in a lot of debt as I'd only come out of uni and had no savings - all went on the CCs.

If i'm ill the odd day then i don't care about not being paid as I know i couldn't be there anyway. With our close proximity to patients, we do have to think about spreading things to old people etc though too. When i was off for a week it cost me £500 which could really do with - there was no way I could make it so can't do much about it

A case of 'shouldn't have gone to Specsavers' then?:(

If your ill then your ill and there's nothing you can do. If they have a problem then let it be thier problem.

I always save my sick days for when im well, why waste a good day off :D

Always used to make me laugh when people called up with a really croakey voice to say they weren't coming in because of a stomach bug. I used to say that's fine, but what's wrong with your throat :D

I get fed up with people taking "sick" days.

I mean I'm not superhuman, but I've not been too ill to go to work for about 4 or 5 years now. OK I've had colds, and maybe the occasional bit of flu. But how's that stopped me getting in a car and driving to an office and sitting down at a desk?

A few people I know, have taken the piss big time with "sick" days. They're usually the people that aren't happy in their work and a few have shown this by leaving. So any excuse to not come in....

In my eyes, if you're well enough to get out of bed and sit in front of a tv all day, you're well enough to go into work and sit in front of a computer. If you're salaried and getting sick pay, anything less is stealing a day's salary from the company.

Perhaps I'll never be in charge of HR :)

Management discretion. Basically we look after people we know are properly ill.

Have a lad with a weird skin problem which means he's effectively allergic to sunlight. He ended up with skin cancer (which is under control now), obviously all paid etc. We're not monsters ;)

Dodgy ground that Pete if someone went sick and you didn't pay them then they could then claim they are not being treated consistently and fairly, They wouls have a good case as well.

Now you could go along the grounds of the type of ilness but if you are sick you are sick regardless of the type of illness it is.

I mean I'm not superhuman, but I've not been too ill to go to work for about 4 or 5 years now. OK I've had colds, and maybe the occasional bit of flu. But how's that stopped me getting in a car and driving to an office and sitting down at a desk?

A few people I know, have taken the piss big time with "sick" days. They're usually the people that aren't happy in their work and a few have shown this by leaving. So any excuse to not come in....

In my eyes, if you're well enough to get out of bed and sit in front of a tv all day, you're well enough to go into work and sit in front of a computer. If you're salaried and getting sick pay, anything less is stealing a day's salary from the company.

Agree a good policy to adopt is to pay sick pay from the 3rd day onwards this stops a lot of sporadic absence but still supports those with a serious illness

Effectively you put the rest of the team at risk of catching yor germs!

Lady at work 'soldiered on' when she had a bad head cold, ended up that we all had it...bloody dumbass!

In my eyes, if you're well enough to get out of bed and sit in front of a tv all day, you're well enough to go into work and sit in front of a computer.

There is a huge difference to being sat/laid in front of a TV doing nothing, feeling like crap and going into work where you'll be expected to work (rather than just lay there) and they'll be noise and people wanting this, that and the other done.

There have been times where I've struggled in and got sent home. That's a waste of everyone's time TBH. Maybe one day I'll be superhuman too.:rolleyes:

Lady at work 'soldiered on' when she had a bad head cold, ended up that we all had it...bloody dumbass!

That reminds me of a bug that did the rounds a few years back. Dozy woman soldiered on with it, claiming a man would have stayed at home. End result was two depts. decimated and three people trying to keep a company running.:rolleyes:

It actually winds me up big time when people who are obviously ill don't stay at home, and instead come into the office with a box of lemsip and tissues, trying to make everyone else feel sorry for them whislt infecting even more people.

That always happens to me, someone is sick at work for 3 days toughing it out. I catch their cold and take a week off.

I've started to do preemptive strikes, if a tissue person comes in, I leave the office and work from home.

OK I've had colds, and maybe the occasional bit of flu. But how's that stopped me getting in a car and driving to an office and sitting down at a desk?

That works fine if all you've got to do is sit down at a desk all day. I didn't take any sick days for about 3 years when I started my job - it wasn't because I'm immune, it's because I luckily wasn't ill!

Dodgy ground that Pete if someone went sick

I know what your saying, but we don't get any arguments about it. I'm not going to punish the hard workers and genuinely quite ill people, nor am I going to reward the ones that are taking the pi$$ (and they know when they are). That 3 days thing you mention is the general rule.

Take this morning. I have one that called in to say they're not coming in today because "she's had a huge row with her sister and needs to sort it out". I mean WTF?! :rolleyes:

Take this morning. I have one that called in to say they're not coming in today because "she's had a huge row with her sister and needs to sort it out". I mean WTF?! :rolleyes:

:badidea:

But that’s quite funny somebody could be silly enough to say that though. Lest she's honest:d

Where i work is awesome

I recently called in with a reccurence of glandular fever, the boss simply said dont even think about coming in til you are 100% right!

First day back tomorrow, so wish me luck :p

How recent is recently?? Was it October....:D Ireckon you're lazier than a Mexican village Rob...:p

I disagree! I have had 3 days of work this year and on all of them I felt like shit. I get what can only be desribed as Flu but it isn't, you get a really bad headache and feel dizzy. I would never dream of getting into car when you feel like that. Although I must admit to taking the piss a lot when I was younger!!:sly:

Don't worry about it matey,we're all allowed to be ill sometimes.I drove to work this morning,got half way there then turned round cos i didn't feel too good,phoned work to tell them and all was fine.

See you at Mascrat later then Paul???:D

H.

I can't remember the last day I had off sick, at least 5 or 6 years ago. Had the occasional cold etc, but nothing Stella & 20 fags doesn't get rid of.

Our work policy is if you have 1 day off on it's own you lose 50% of your yearly bonus, 2 seperate days and it's 75%, 3 days seperate and that's your bonus gone. Not sure how much it's effecting sick leave but if people want to throw away their bonus then that doesn't bother me.

I'm a manager at our place, but I get stuck in, sort problems out and crawl under desks etc putting cables and computers in for users and my general dealing with my 2 staff is if your ill, let me know asap and be pretty cool about it. I don't bother reading the riot act as they know not to abuse it and generally they're at work 99.9% of the time so no need to complain.

Yeah, but it's a cold. It's not the plague. Admitedly though, a lot of people need to learn a thing or two about personal hygiene (One of my bugbears) :blink:

There is a huge difference to being sat/laid in front of a TV doing nothing, feeling like crap and going into work where you'll be expected to work (rather than just lay there) and they'll be noise and people wanting this, that and the other done.

There have been times where I've struggled in and got sent home. That's a waste of everyone's time TBH. Maybe one day I'll be superhuman too.:rolleyes:

It's not about being superhuman or anything. Don't be so dramatic! :rolleyes: Why would it be a waste of everyone's time if you went to work and got on with it. Even if it's at a reduced productivity, it's still better than zero productivity.