The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disappointed!!! Is that all my car is worth?

Bill Prawn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect you to get more than that for it - unfortunately, I think the prices of Supra's are dropping at a fairly alarming rate. I bought my NA in October and thought I got a pretty good deal. However - just 4 months later, looking at some of the cars for sale, mine no longer looks like a bargain.

Yep, I think the Supra Stock market has collapsed. I'm just in it for the fun of ownership as the value is nothing to write home about these days!

I sold this on eBay after 6 weeks for a grand more than I bought it, so it is possible.

http://www.pbarfield.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Ext%20Street%202.JPG

Yes it's full of scammers, car dealers (same thing? :innocent:) and bargain hunters...but it's also full of people looking for rarities.

But surely we do not buy these cars for the thought of selling them. We buy them for the enjoyment of owning one.

If you are thinking of the car in the way that you will never get your money back then I would not buy this kind of car in the first place.

Would be great if we could have the best of both worlds and buy a car we love and then sell it for what we bought it for :)

Bill Prawn I feel for you bud, I really do.

I was supposed to be leaving for Canada for six months mid Jan but my Visa never came through in time. I'm still here!! :(

I had to sell my BPU Sup over the Xmas period and got nowhere near what I wanted. I let it go for just £5600 and believe me it was worth at least a grand more, see my Garage - it was immaculate.

I was just panicking that I wouldn't sell it in time before I was due to leave.

IMHO bud your car is worth £6.5k. Sorry but Supras are coming down in value fast. :(

I sold this on eBay after 6 weeks for a grand more than I bought it, so it is possible.

[qimg]http://www.pbarfield.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Ext%20Street%202.JPG[/qimg]

Yes it's full of scammers, car dealers (same thing? :innocent:) and bargain hunters...but it's also full of people looking for rarities.

What did it go for it, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to ignore if this is a rude question:)

Keep your head up mate, ebay is for bargains, you will get more on autotrader and from here. Enthusiasts cars are more valuable.

Imo it just has to be keenly priced, id say 7-7.5K and you will get a sale! Cosider putting stock wheels back on and letting it go cheaper as they are worth more sold seperate!

What did it go for it, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to ignore if this is a rude question:)

£12k IIRC, auto non VVTi. It did have an after market warranty with it which probably helped a lot and full s/history.

It was a couple of years ago mind, before I'd decided whether to keep MerTOC or not. I didn't intentionally buy to sell and preferred to keep the NA.

£12k IIRC, auto non VVTi. It did have an after market warranty with it which probably helped a lot and full s/history.

It was a couple of years ago mind, before I'd decided whether to keep MerTOC or not. I didn't intentionally buy to sell and preferred to keep the NA.

Sounds like a fair price at the time. My 96N was up for 9k last April (private seller). It's probably lost a couple of grand in 12 months. C'est la vie.

I don't subscribe to this "it's a 10 year old car so it's not going to be worth all that much" rubbish.

The reason why Supra's are cheap, is because people sell them for next to nothing.

If people didn't sell them for peanuts then the only way you could buy one is to splash the cash.

It's like the opposite of the housing market. 1 person let's his go for less money, so the next person sells his for less, and the next, and the next....

What if everyone suddenly said, nope. I'm adding 10K to the price of my car. The only way you could buy one is to add 10K to your budget.

How much can you get a 10 year old porsche for?

I don't subscribe to this "it's a 10 year old car so it's not going to be worth all that much" rubbish.

The reason why Supra's are cheap, is because people sell them for next to nothing.

If people didn't sell them for peanuts then the only way you could buy one is to splash the cash.

It's like the opposite of the housing market. 1 person let's his go for less money, so the next person sells his for less, and the next, and the next....

What if everyone suddenly said, nope. I'm adding 10K to the price of my car. The only way you could buy one is to add 10K to your budget.

Some good points there, and I agree Supra owners have caused the pricing structure.

The Porsche arguement is fair in the comparison of performance but then again the fact that the Supra is still 'only' a Toyota, would be the other side of that arguement.

I think now i'll have to accept that my car is probably worth about £7.5k even with the brakes, etc.

ANY TAKERS?

You may not subscribe to it, but they are 10 year old cars (in the main) and they aren't worth that much. These are facts, so aren't really up for debate.

If Supra's had the "image" and the following by the "richer folk" of the world, then I expect you could put prices up and still expect to get that price. But the fact of the matter is, the "richer folk" prefer to drive in Merc's, Porsches, Ferrari's and the like - and I expect most of the time it is to simply say to their mates - "I own a Porsche" even if it is a Boxster!!!!

Therefore there are not rich people to sell the cars to, so in order to sell them at all they have to drop the price.

I seriously hope i haven't offended anyone in the above - nothing was meant - but I couldnt think of another way to say it or put my point across.

Actually, a lot less than you used to be able to. 996s flooded the market, and you can pick up early ones (i.e. 10 year old ones) for the low £20ks now. Maybe not the best ones - but 911s are not as depreciation proof as they once were.

Some good points there, and I agree Supra owners have caused the pricing structure.

The Porsche arguement is fair in the comparison of performance but then again the fact that the Supra is still 'only' a Toyota, would be the other side of that arguement.

I think now i'll have to accept that my car is probably worth about £7.5k even with the brakes, etc.

ANY TAKERS?

Could'nt agree more, Supra owners have caused the 'silly' pricing structure, I purchased a TT-6Spd five years ago now for £7300 and it came with all relevant paperwork, it was completly standard.

I left it standard thinking it would 'hold its value', after 3 years ownership I sold it for £8300!, not bad eh!?.

I disagree that supra owners have caused the 'silly' pricing structure. When a car won’t sell at a set price it’s probably because it’s too expensive and will have to be reduced in price to sell. That’s the nature of any market.

There are so many Supra's to choose from and this is a 93 which is actually 14 years old this year. When you look at a brand new car like a Toyota AYGO which starts at £6250 with a warranty, and look at the choose buyers have you can see why it’s not easy to get big money for Supra’s these days.

Gutting I know, I’d hate to think how much my standard NA is worth but thats why I don’t think about the value as they are still great cars to drive. No one can do anything about the value.

I disagree that supra owners have caused the 'silly' pricing structure. When a car won’t sell at a set price it’s probably because it’s too expensive and will have to be reduced in price to sell. That’s the nature of any market.

There are so many Supra's to choose from and this is a 93 which is actually 14 years old this year. When you look at a brand new car like a Toyota AYGO which starts at £6250 with a warranty, and look at the choose buyers have you can see why it’s not easy to get big money for Supra’s these days.

Gutting I know, I’d hate to think how much my standard NA is worth but thats why I don’t think about the value as they are still great cars to drive. No one can do anything about the value.

ERRRR don't really think you can compare an AYGO to a Supra:blink: even if it has a warranty!:search: