The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Disappointed!!! Is that all my car is worth?

Bill Prawn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really shocks me is the amount new cars go for!! I'd rather have a second hand car that is stupidly fast than new anything. Or even 2 jap beasts for the price of a new golf etc...

But unfortunately for the price of Supra's etc - the vast majority wouldn't. Most new cars are pretty reliable, if they're not they are backed by manufacturers warranty, running costs are a lot less than a 14 year old fast second hand car.... to many people those things are very appealing.

I know many people who could afford the Supra and my 964 if they wished - and they like decent quick cars. But they still can't understand the amount of money I've poured into the 964 when I could have just gone out and bought a warranty covered coupe.

That was sort of my point, of course the Supra is better than the AYGO but to a huge number of people its all about the age of the car, running costs and reliability. People change cars not because there is anything wrong their old one but because they are seen to be getting too old when they get to 4 or 5 years old. It doesnt help the Supra isnt the cheapest car to run or repair either.

Jesus guys

Your not filling me happy feelings.

I bought my n/a a year ago from a dealer for £6500. It was in good nick all round. A year later i decided to spend a bit of money on it. Not a huge amount probably £2000 when completed. Major service, 2 new tyres, some minor bodywork repairs, dash refurb and calipers painted. Just getting leather put on the front seats.

Does this mean i've wasted my money?

Shouldn't worry chilly its all relative mate I bought my Supe 4 years ago for 10K so I may have lost 4k if it was standard but to put it in perspective if I had bought an Alfa brand new then:

Alfa Romeo 156 Saloon (97-06)

2.5 V6 24V Q-Sys. Lusso 4d Auto 2002/52

Average mileage 40,000 miles

Original Price £22,350

Franchised Dealer £6,825

Independent Dealer £6,095

Private Good £5,315

Private Poor £4,385

Part Exchange £4,925

on a part ex I would have lost 17.5K

Jesus guys

Your not filling me happy feelings.

I bought my n/a a year ago from a dealer for £6500. It was in good nick all round. A year later i decided to spend a bit of money on it. Not a huge amount probably £2000 when completed. Major service, 2 new tyres, some minor bodywork repairs, dash refurb and calipers painted. Just getting leather put on the front seats.

Does this mean i've wasted my money?

It depends what you mean by wasted. You rarely - if ever - get the money back that you spend on a car. But as long as you enjoy the car - and are glad you got the work done - then it wasn't wasted.

If you bought from a dealer, you probably paid more than you would be able to sell it for privately anyway - but I tend to always assume that when I sell a car it will be worth less than when I bought it.

I don't subscribe to this "it's a 10 year old car so it's not going to be worth all that much" rubbish.

The reason why Supra's are cheap, is because people sell them for next to nothing.

If people didn't sell them for peanuts then the only way you could buy one is to splash the cash.

It's like the opposite of the housing market. 1 person let's his go for less money, so the next person sells his for less, and the next, and the next....

What if everyone suddenly said, nope. I'm adding 10K to the price of my car. The only way you could buy one is to add 10K to your budget.

How much can you get a 10 year old porsche for?

About £20k for a 9 year old one (was £54k before options in 1998)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/130692.htm

You may notice on Pistonhead when someone asks for suggestions for spunking £20k on a secondhand car a Supra almost never gets a mention unless I'm plugging a members car from here- I couldn't get anyone interested in TerryS's car.

Most suggestions are these: Porsche 993's, 996's, Boxsters, F348's, E46M3's, Griffiths, Cerberas, Tuscans, Tamoras, T350C's, Mazzer 3200GT's, R33 GTR's, NSX's, Corvette C5's, Jag XKR's, Monaros, Esprits, Exiges & Elises.

Another nail for the price fixing coffin is that you have importers bringing in any old Supra for peanuts and domestic dealers selling Supras cheaply too. Who on earth would spend £18k-20k on a 1994 stock JDM Supra when you could buy most of the above for similar money? £12k would bag you a 1996 Cerbera 4.2, which makes a stock Supra look pedestrian.

I'm more than happy to go along with a price fix, but you are paddling with tennis raquets upstream in a canoe imo. The TVR SEAC owners tried this - 17 cars ever made, and they couldn't get a price fix to work so that's us stuffed.

I've only seen one model buck the trend and that's the mint 5.0 Griffiths, which are actually going up but average & dogs are going down so they aren't immune completely, even the winter/summer balance hasn't appeared outside the trackday market for the last few years.

About £20k for a 9 year old one (was £54k before options in 1998)

Another nail for the price fixing coffin is that you have importers bringing in any old Supra for peanuts and domestic dealers selling Supras cheaply too.

yep and there you have it i am sure if Mr Toyota in his infinate stupidity had not invented the NA supra our cars would still be worth a lot more

yep and there you have it i am sure if Mr Toyota in his infinate stupidity had not invented the NA supra our cars would still be worth a lot more

NA Supras were about a LONG time before Toyota ever fitted a turbocharger to one. Remember the turbo didn't make an appearance until the mk3.

If you want to accuse Toyota of anything, then accuse them of dropping the ball by not making the UK Supras Euro3 compliant (or is it Euro2?) and carry on selling them until 2002. You might also mention Toyota and others leant on the government to make private imports a bit tighter so we couldn't import post 1997 cars, leading to a fall of standards regarding the pre 1997 cars being imported.

Maybe the ultimate blame lies with us and our J-spec imports, look at the price the German cars command- didn't a 1996 targa top sell for £24k last year?