The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gregsupra's Twin GT45 install

gregsupra4

OK the car is now totaly stripped and ready for the paint shop.

On doing some calculations today it looks like we are going to have to lose most of the firewall to accomadate the new box.

As I want to use a single piece molly chrome prop most of the tunnel will have to go also.

As time allows I will be making a new loom for the engine bay, this will consist of one multi plug that will plug into a socket in a place yet to be determined.

We are also going to lose the power steering as I am going to be running 95x45x18s on the front.

The rear arches are going to be cut to enable me to run 355x26x16 slicks.

The fuel system is also going to re re-vamped with 25 lt fuel cell 2 x holley race pumps and swirl pot, so I will have a triple pump FSE fuel system for sale ( All ally hanger with 3 x waldro 255 pumps including 8an fittings and all relays and loom)

I have been in talks with a couple of people for the adaptor plate I need to join the TH400 to the 2JZGTE block, so with luck that will be sorted before the end of the week.

Oh and Jezzeybabes has bet me £50 today that his new setup will beat me by at leat half a second:) cant wait for that:p

That's it for now more about whats going on and pictures soon.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Been a while since I updated this thread so here goes:

Due to time or lack of it we have had to make a few changes to the way we were going to put the car together, some better some not so good but still slightly trick.

The car has now been reduced to nothing just about everything that could be removed has been in order to both lose weight and allow the turbo set-up to be installed.

Gone is the wiring loom both in the car and engine bay, I have started to make the new loom that will run just the engine, fuel system and guages plus the tach and speedo.

We have removed the power steering and modded the rack ( Not a great secret just pressure fed the rack then capped off the in and out banjos)

A dummy engine (empty block and head) has been dropped into the engine bay to allow Stuart and Ian to start fabricating the new turbo manifolds which will be a try it and see affair as you will see in the pictures attached ( Please no this will not work comments as I have said this is a TRY IT AND SEE)

Thanks to Dusty at MPV we now have (In Transit) the adaptor plate to mate the TH400 to the 2JZGTE block and the gearbox mounting adaptor and prop to diff adaptor, on marking up it now seems that we will only have to lose about 90 mm around the tunnel which will make things much less complicated.

The whole drive train will be solid mounted using carbon bushes and nylon.

For now the back axle will have to stay as a stock unit with just the 4.11 ring gear installed (shame but not enough time to get a ten bolt and have it cut and shut to fit) so any offers of spare diffs and drive shafts will be greatky recivied.

The new fuel system is going to be a bit of a headache as we plan to use the fuel cell with 1 lift pump and 3 feed pumps, the fuel rail will have 2 feeds and 2 returns, feeds will be 10an and returns 8an, just got yesterday the swirl pot so we are on the way.

The engine should be back with us this weekend which is great and I cannot thank the Boy's at Headline enough for completing the work so quickly (Not in haste and not badly done either)

This now gives me and Pete plenty of time to put in together.

Big problem area is the rear arches as we will be trying to run some rather wide slicks, cant afford to buy an aftermarket rear so thinking of getting the body shop to use ally and make some overcovers.

Well that's about it for now will post another update soon.

Thanks for reading also I welcome any comments or suggestions (BOY AM I LEAVING MY SELF OPEN HERE):)

1st mock up.JPG

2nd go.JPG

IANS HANDIWORKK.JPG

MANIFOLD START.JPG

NOBS.JPG

STUART AT WORK.JPG

TWAT.JPG

WHAT HAPPENED IN HERE.JPG

WRECK ANYONE.JPG

Well the two turbo manifolds are now made and been bolted onto the dummy engine with the turbos and I must say the biggest surprise was that the new bonnet shut:) apart from that though it was even more of a surprise that we will have enough space to run two 50mm wastegates within 1 inch of each collector.

Pictures will be up Monday as I forgot to bring the mem stick home with me.

The B&M Pro shifter came Friday and wow it looks good (only hope it works as well as it looks) mind you it is going to look odd in a right hand drive car:)

Bit of a blow have finally remembered that I need to source some 1600cc injectors as we intend to at least try for the 1100hp mark ,looking around the last couple of day's has been a bit of an eye opener with regard to price on these large injectors, the cheapest I can find work out at £169 per injector and they are not even a branded make:(

So it looks like the budget will have to increase in order for me to upgrade the 1000s.

Really looking forward to Monday as the Engine should be back from the engineers and we can start to fine tune the build.(pictures and text will be done)

The vielside type inlet manifold I used last year is going to be played with a bit to enable us to mount the injectors in a more positive way, some of you may remember the hassle we had last season with injectors leaking we hope the mods will make this a thing of the past.

Oh hum what a lot of mucking about to try and source a set of front runners, I want 95x70x16 tyre's, it seems that this size tyre in a high speed rating is no where to be seen so my choice is take a chance on the low rated ones or alter the whole front of the car and geometry to use a different front runner set-up:( I suppose we can try them it is not as if we are going to be above 100 mph for long)

The roll cage we used last year will remain but with some mods, we are going to run some new tubes through the front of the car to tie in both strut towers and then again down through the back of the car to tie in the rear axle mounts, if we have time we will also tie the front and rear subframes together.

OK time to go will post up more as we do it.

Hi all,

Sorry lost the Mem stick so will post pictures up in the morning.

Fuel cell is on the way, had it custom made and they charge a very low price £95.

Chrome molly prop has now been cut and shut so should go on quite easy ( We hope)

Real shit bit of news seems that we can only run 3 and a half inch down pipes as even with part of the firwall removed the back turbos downpie would intrude into the pedal area by 35mm (just two much of a burn hazzard:( )

Other than that all things are go apart from the engine still not being back yet, the work on the head has revealed a number of faults that will take longer than planned to put right.

Ok that's it for now.