The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lotus carlton are they quick

jayssupra

Anybody tell me what the outcome would be between my BPU supra and a lotus carlton, it's just there's a lad in a garage near me going on all the time how fast it is, i'v never heard of this car so have no idea how quick they are, i don't what to make a fool of myself.

My car made 389 bhp at turbofit and 400lbs torque

Has he asked you for a race then? :search:

if he doesn't want to make a fool of himself then it looks as if it could happen even if he hasn't directly been asked yet. ;)

Guest MattsSupra

My step dad had one for a while, it spent more time in the garage then any where else, and the car scared the living sh#t out of him each time he drove it, but he is said it is one car he would buy again, the only down side is the faults with them, he then went too the GSi3000

If its a 1989, i think you could take him. Mainly because I doubt it will be still running the original power. Remember these are very unreliable cars and will easily develope faults which will reduce its power.

Its also very heavy, and you should get a better launch off the line. The supra is also much more streamlined that that thing too.

If hes manual and your auto, then hes got to change perfectly every time, which a lot of people struggle to do in race conditions when the pressure is on.

I vote supra! but i think it will be close and very interesting to see.

I used to run one, but it was a lemon, and gave a lot of trouble, usually serious. LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious, so no surprise there. It ate clutches and the engine suffered problems, bits were hard to get and very expensive. When it went OK it was very quick, as quick or quicker than a de catted J-Spec MKIV, it was ages ago though, so hard to compare. Most are now rot boxes. The rear suspension was crude and they made a MKIV seem tame in the wet. Someone asked if it was the same engine as a Buick Grand National. No is the answer, the Buick is a V6, the Carlton a straight six based on the 32 valver is the Carlton GSi with many mods.

The BMW Alpina B10 Bi Turbo of the same era was quicker, better made and more desirable, IMO.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-19495/biturbo.htm

Wish I'd kept mine longer, it was a beast in a Saville Row suit.

Ah, those were the days :)

Building the Carlton/Omega engines was my second job when I was at Lotus as a student on my year out. The engines were all hand built at Hethel on a tiny production line. The bodies were recieved as GSi3000 rolling chassis and then stripped and reworked to widen the trans tunnel and put the Robocop bodykit on. The engine was mated to a 6 speed transmission that went into one of the Corvette's, I believe.

Apparently the original reason we put a cone chicane on our test track was to stop the Carlton test drivers from getting up to too high a speed at the end of our long straight. I think there were a few brake fade problems on early development cars that nearly ended up with a Carlton-shaped hole in the boundary fence.

Shame that GM cut the production run short. :( There are still a lot of the old project team here - mostly in upper Management positions now. Christ - was it really that long ago...?

tim websters small friend had one,dont know if it was tims car and his mate raced it as he was too busy racing skylines.

his mate could not get the power down and was fish tailing it and smoke everywhere he managed a 14 second 1/4

its one of them cars u liked along with a 3 door cossie.

they both hold good money too.

(Unless anyone else believes wkdtime's speeded up video :haha: )

Cheeky c**t,

And why would i have done that?

How about you take a look at the rate the indicator is flashing during the vid and compare it, if it was sped up then surely the indiactor flash rate will be sped up to.

More than welcome for anyone to check it out.

I know your post may have been tongue in cheek, but i don't like being made out to be someone who's lying.

Again, thank god i had the indicator going:D

Vid in question for those who are interested.