The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini-meet, Sat 17th Feb

SteveR

I went out this morning to try out the roads I had in mind, and see how long it might take to drive them.

The roads really are a mix of every type so there will be something for everyone. A late night alteration to my planned route last night means I've stumbled across what may have just become my favorite UK road. Wide, fast, flowing, little/no traffic (I saw 1 car, which I promptly overtook), excellent visibility... I am in love! :D

Plus, there are 3~4 fantastic spots for photoshoots (my camera doesn't do them justice)! We do have to go well off the beaten track for 7~8 miles to get to one of them, but it's well worth it, and has the bonus of cutting us through to the bit of road I mentioned above.

In total it's just under 200 miles, which I did in a bit over 4 hours earlier today (so add about an hour to that for stops/photoshoots). I've varied the route out/back to minimise going over the same tarmac twice, but there are some 'cruising' bits along motorway/dual carriageway to get us into/out of the Brecons which ups the average speed and reduces the petrol bill... oh, and that takes through a tunnel, twice! ;)

Photos to give you an idea of some of the more rural roads are now attached to the first post. There is also plenty of primary A road fun, plus the motorway & dual carraigeway stuff I mentioned above. BTW clearance isn't an issue, even a lowered Supra would be fine.

Any questions, just ask. If you miss this run, don't worry, I WILL be doing it again in a few months... :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve im really going to try and make this one - any idea what the weathers going to be like? dont fancy doing 200+ miles if its rainy :(

No idea at this point in time. I think it's meant to rain all week so hopefully (fingers crossed) there won't be any rain left come the weekend.

That said, we are heading to Wales, and into the mountains (a bit) and the weather is notoriously changeable/unpredictable. When I went out yesterday it rained half a dozen times and was glorious sunshine in between. At one point I'm freezing and half being blown off my feet whilst taking photos, the next minute (literally!) I'm peeling layers off as I'm roasting, lol. :)

BBC's 5 day forecast reckons sunshine and 10DegC for Saturday at the moment, but it's so far in advance I'm not going to hold my breath just yet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0333

Same again for Brecon, 10DegC & sunshine...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2463

(please god!)

No idea at this point in time. I think it's meant to rain all week so hopefully (fingers crossed) there won't be any rain left come the weekend.

That said, we are heading to Wales, and into the mountains (a bit) and the weather is notoriously changeable/unpredictable. When I went out yesterday it rained half a dozen times and was glorious sunshine in between. At one point I'm freezing and half being blown off my feet whilst taking photos, the next minute (literally!) I'm peeling layers off as I'm roasting, lol. :)

BBC's 5 day forecast reckons sunshine and 10DegC for Saturday at the moment, but it's so far in advance I'm not going to hold my breath just yet...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0333

Same again for Brecon, 10DegC & sunshine...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2463

(please god!)

some meet this is going to be! from leicester to wales and back lol. look forward to it! hopefully will be there. please plan for plenty of food breaks as i get hungry on long journeys :D

Guest aeroandi

Hi steve ,

Thanks for the invite normally id jump at the chance of a 200m jaunt into the valleys,especially as your all meeting actually on my bloody drive!! but due to arrival of new baby daughter, something had to go my soop or power boat? (so i know what your thinking, but your wrong ),the boat is going cant let my beloved soop go only just bloody got one!! the really sickening thing is that its only bloody being collected on sat so i miss out any way!! :search:

/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_sad.gif
hopefully ill join you all next time.

1. SteveR (& Kate), Silver J-Spec TT6

2. Carl, Silver J-Spec TT

3. Mk47 & Mrs Mk47. Black Jspec TT

4. [John - motorbike]

5. [Gavin - SAAB 9000]

6. [Andy Tudge - Silver NA]

---- plus possibly...? ----

7. Pete

8. Belly (meet only)

9. aeroandi (meet only)??

Did I miss anyone?

Hi steve ,

Thanks for the invite normally id jump at the chance of a 200m jaunt into the valleys,especially as your all meeting actually on my bloody drive!! but due to arrival of new baby daughter, something had to go my soop or power boat? (so i know what your thinking, but your wrong ),the boat is going cant let my beloved soop go only just bloody got one!! the really sickening thing is that its only bloody being collected on sat so i miss out any way!! :search:

hopefully ill join you all next time.

Can't you leave the brand new little one (congrats BTW!) to sort out selling the boat? ;)

At least come out in your slippers with a mug of tea and say hi to us before we set off - I've seen your car twice a day for months, but still haven't met you, lol :)

oh yeah speaking of dogs can i bring my dog with me?

Fine with me mate, don't see any reason why not :)

Food - I've put in that we'll stop half way and enjoy a nice view by a burger van, we'll end at a pub (~teatime) plus there will be a petrol station stop for chocolate/crisps, that should see you through? :D

For breakfast, there is always a really good greasy spoon cafe/takeaway on your way into Malvern - they'll fry you a breakfast and throw it into a bagette - want directions? :)

damn you all to hell... i get my car on the 18th

lol, sorry :D

Would you really have come all the way over here to Malvern, and then on to 200miles of the Brecons though? Fair play if you would, I'd have been terrified of such a mental journey the day I got my car!

What am I saying, I drove mine from newcastle, to Sheffield (when I demo'd it to a few friends - at WOT of course, lol), on to Derby, then eventually all the way back down here. Thinking about it, I'm clearly mental. :blink:

Fine with me mate, don't see any reason why not :)

Food - I've put in that we'll stop half way and enjoy a nice view by a burger van, we'll end at a pub (~teatime) plus there will be a petrol station stop for chocolate/crisps, that should see you through? :D

For breakfast, there is always a really good greasy spoon cafe/takeaway on your way into Malvern - they'll fry you a breakfast and throw it into a bagette - want directions? :)

Steve I have got to start by saying your doing a VERY good job of making arrangements for everbody! Food breaks thing i was just joking mate ;)

May bring my dog along though if nobody is at home that day.

So we looking at a 200 mile round trip then? :blink: you crazy man! hehe

Thanks for the invite Steve.

While my car may be turbocharged and have ~ 200bhp/ton, it is also Swedish and FWD :)

Supras have always seemed like interesting cars, so it would be nice to come along and see some. Being a Saab driver, I will resist the temptation to take a caravan with me :rolleyes:

Forecast looks a little damp, but surely that adds to the fun?

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/9000-Aero-engine-photos/goodwood_backdrop_sized.jpg

Guest aeroandi

Hi Steve,

I am working on getting the boat sold on fri,(in aid of this worthy event)so ill do my best,otherwise sadly ill have to miss out totally as he's currently coming at 9am to the boat yard.

Hi Steve,

I am working on getting the boat sold on fri,(in aid of this worthy event)so ill do my best,otherwise sadly ill have to miss out totally as he's currently coming at 9am to the boat yard.

Good effort that man :)

Where's the boat yard, Upton?

Steve I have got to start by saying your doing a VERY good job of making arrangements for everbody! Food breaks thing i was just joking mate

May bring my dog along though if nobody is at home that day.

So we looking at a 200 mile round trip then? you crazy man! hehe

oops, lol. Thought you were serious about the food. I think we'll still stop at that burger van anyway - if nothing else the car park it's in makes it easier to turn round after the reserviour photostop. :)

Yep, it's a trip of just (and I mean just) under 200 miles :D Some of it is motorway though, so despite the back road bits, an average sped of 50+ (exclusing stops of course) is still do-able. :)

I will PM the route map to people who are down as coming/interested tonight. I would post it up for all to see, but won't... just in case... :sly:

1. SteveR (& Kate), Silver J-Spec TT6

2. Carl, Silver J-Spec TT

3. Mk47 & Mrs Mk47. Black Jspec TT

4. [John - motorbike]

5. [Gavin - SAAB 9000]

6. [Andy - Silver NA]

7. Max Headroom (meet only?)

8. Belly (Meet + first bit)

---- plus possibly...? ----

7. Pete

9. aeroandi

10. SupraNick?