The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend a Wax that Halfords sell

carl0s

Resurrection maybe but good question. Found polishing Mertoc a right pain, i just can't seem to get enough heat into it to take the streaks away.

I've used AutoGlym, Williams FI and Turtlewax and all have taken me about an hour just to do the bonnet and get the streaks off. Used to be able to do a whole car in that time!

Am i going wrong somewhere?

m.

Resurrection maybe but good question. Found polishing Mertoc a right pain, i just can't seem to get enough heat into it to take the streaks away.

I've used AutoGlym, Williams FI and Turtlewax and all have taken me about an hour just to do the bonnet and get the streaks off. Used to be able to do a whole car in that time!

Am i going wrong somewhere?

m.

You talking about streaks from the polish?..or streaks from preparing the surface before polishing?

Try washing the bonnet in mildly warm Fairy Liquid/water mix which removes the previous layers of polish.

Or you can use a buffer with a watered T-Cut solution (Don't buff the edges where the bonnet meets the windscreen!!). Then wash the car with Fairy.

If you insist in using those cheap polishes then the trick on flat surfaces is to remove the polish before it has dried. Almost immediately after you have put it on....

If you do a search for "Ultra-Ion" (on this forum or Google) you will find one of the best polishes on the planet apart from Zaino. No "Autoglym white dust and no streaking) and it can be applied in direct sunlight..

You talking about streaks from the polish?..or streaks from preparing the surface before polishing?

Cheers, i'm talking streaks from the polish, you can see where it has been applied and then dried. Sounds like i need to polish quicker!

We had a big debate abot Fairy on FTO board. Quite a few saying not to use it because it has salt in??? Unsure about that now!

m.

Although, I'm a big Poorboy's fan... if you are going to get anything from halfrauds, I would recommend the meguairs stuff... especially the NXT wax.

I normally use the NXT wax, its very good, but am thinking of trying some poor boys, which one do you use?

Cheers, i'm talking streaks from the polish, you can see where it has been applied and then dried. Sounds like i need to polish quicker!

We had a big debate abot Fairy on FTO board. Quite a few saying not to use it because it has salt in??? Unsure about that now!

m.

If I am polishing on a hot day using normal polishes (which I don't use any more because they are a PITA), it could be a case of polish cloth in the right hand and buffer cloth in the left. Do an area on no more than 2ft square...Straight on, straight off.....it's that quick....

Fairy won't hurt if you use it now and again just to prepare the surface for polishing...you need a strong chemical to break down the wax buildup, as you don't achieve anything until it is removed.

For washing your car regularly use a proper car wash solution....

Fairy won't hurt if you use it now and again just to prepare the surface for polishing...you need a strong chemical to break down the wax buildup, as you don't achieve anything until it is removed.

Yeah, Zymol sell that HD-Cleanse stuff for removing crap and old polish/wax.

Try Zymol cleaning wax polish it cleans and waxes and as it has a relatively high carnuaba wax content (for a high street package that is). You can re-wet the wax as you use it for a higher shine so no need to worry about it drying so fast.

http://www.zdouk.com/detail.aspx?ID=69

Have a look here at the product and others in the range

I use a wide range of the poorboy's products....

I use Meguiars Cleaner wax (don't use fairy liquid).....poorboy's SSR2.5 as the polish (Remember a polish is abrasive), the use 1z wax polish soft (as the wax)...then 1z hard glanz (as the sealant), and then coat it off with Poorboy's Natty's blue or white (depending on paint as the glaze)...

Then Poorboy's bold and bright on the tyres to give them a nice shine..

I'll speak to my poorboy's guy, see if he would be up for doing a kit for the supra guys...

Malco Flash Wax from the states...... mega gloss and easy to use. If from here, Muc Off Miracle Shine new to Market......... just awesome.

For that Special date- Zymol Titanium Wax............ makes yer black just like the wicked witch's mirror!!!! Just watch she doesn't slide off!!!!:p :p

If I am polishing on a hot day using normal polishes (which I don't use any more because they are a PITA), it could be a case of polish cloth in the right hand and buffer cloth in the left. Do an area on no more than 2ft square...Straight on, straight off.....it's that quick....

thank you sir i shall give it a try!

m.

• 2 weeks later...
Polish. You can then use their gloss protection stuff afterwards.

I tried the Meguires NXT wax, that was ok, didnt overly impress me tho.

Just an update.. I've changed my mind about this NXT wax as I was using it incorrectly, ie applying directly after a wash.

After a wash and polish it does come into its own and keeps the shine looking great for days, whereas the car, with just a polished and left open to the elements, starts to dull quicker.

Its hard work tho working it in, after 3 hours of previous cleaning :D

Meguiars deep crystal 3 stage is good keeps a nice shine but does take a while and is well worth it. Even better if you can get it done when your on nites at work like i did, it took me about 5hrs to give it a good going over but 3 of us did it on my brothers car and had it all done in about an hour.