The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol costs too much - what can be done? (not a spam e-mail repost)

splurge

Originally posted by Barry

I've never actaully heard 'why' the government feel it necessary to tax petrol at 80% or what ever it is? Have they ever given the reason behind such a high rate of tax?

Because car drivers are the scum of the earth and the cause of all the worlds polution and global warming, and we have such an environmentally friendly government - obviously. :mad:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, this is what I think is happening so far - please correct me if I've got it completely wrong...

1. We are collecting a petition about the amount of tax on fuel. To be more specific, we want to see it reduced!

2. Syed has kindly volunteered to coordinate it. Three cheers for Syed!

3. The idea is that we agree on a form, which everyone can then print out, distribute around their mates, families, and offices to get everyone else to sign, and then post to Syed before the agreed closing date.

4. After the agreed closing date, Syed and the gang will arrange delivery of the petition.

5. Because so many people will have signed it, the government will be compelled to reduce the tax. Well, that's the idea anyway.

IF this is the plan, then these are some of the things that will have to happen, not necessarily in order, which all probably need lots of volunteers :) :

A. Agree on the wording and the look of the form. This sounds tedious but it's critical because only certain types of petition are acceptable. This can be checked by a civil servant beforehand. I'm happy to volunteer to help put one together and get it checked.

B. Host the form somewhere where anyone can download it.

C. Get a (real) mailbox set up (one of those PO Box 12345 things), since I don't imagine Syed will want thousands of envelopes coming to his house!

D. Agree on a closing date. We need something far enough away that we can get lots of people involved, but not so far that it loses its urgency.

E. Publicity - guerilla. When the time is right, everyone will need to tell their mates, and get their mates to tell their mates.

F. Publicity - traditional media. Once we've built up some momentum, we'll want to bring in the big guns - does anyone have experience of dealing with the press etc?

G. Alliances - does anyone have good contacts at the ABD or other reduce-fuel-tax organisations?

The only problem is that this government will just laugh at it and happily watch petrol rise and rise throughout the year.

A petition is no guarentee that it will cause the government to do anything BUT I do agree it is a start and that it shows the displeasure that this government is causing to the general public.

The main reason why there is so much tax on fuel is simply that it causes sooo much revenue for the government. So that they can then go and waste it on stupid schemes across the country like allowing illigal imigrants to stay in the country and claim legal aid and benefits etc.

And also to fund the stupid pointless american oil security war in Iraq.

And also to pay for the Jaguar cars that ferry the bloody politicians from lunch meal to lunch meal etc.

etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on but you get the point.

Well that's my gripe out of the way for today.

:angry:

How about a shedload of cars rolling up in London, filling as many roads as possible, and then switching off the engine.

"Sorry guv, but I've run out of fuel and I can't afford any more" to anyone who asks/tells you to move. Plus some nice posters in the car windows explaining simply and clearly that we are normal people that are really pissed off with the massive liberties the government is taking. Organised from 12 until 8pm or so, and then when we leave, drive at under 5mph. Slow is safe, allegedly :) It's also a huge pain in the arse :)

You'd have to figure out a way of allowing emergency vehicles through though, but jamming up the city is *the* way of getting in the news. Oh, yeah, and everyone bring a video camera if you can so that no-one can get abusive, i.e. police trying to tow you away. Let's see them abuse the law with fourteen cameras pointing at them :)

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

You'd have to figure out a way of allowing emergency vehicles through though, but jamming up the city is *the* way of getting in the news

This is the big problem: You need to cause as much disruption as possible to commerce but still allow essential functions to carry on.

I seem to remember that towards the end of the last fuel protest the media / govermnent started playing dirty and spinning out news stories about how blood transfusions / organs / ambulances could not get through because of the evil fuel protesters.

Splurge, that all sounds good to me! :thumbs: I'll get reading through all that legal stuff tonight so I know how to organise it.

The whole point is that a petition is a starting point, to start off a proper campaign to stop the 'Lets rip-off the British public 'cos they won't do s**t' mentality that the Government and everyone else seems to have. A start to blockades and whatever else it takes for us to get a better deal.

:flame Dev

whatever petition is sent out (I still feel paper & signatures caries more weight than an 'e' petition) should be accompanied by a well written (plain English) explanation of the situation, e.g. the amount of tax, the actual cost motorists pay per year.

I feel the hardest hit are small businesses or sole contractors who travel a lot e.g. IT support / consultants (I hate that word ;) ) who spend perhaps £3,000 - £6,000 p/a on motoring costs *before* accounting for the actual cost of the vehicle and insurance.

Originally posted by tbourner

So, it's decided (by the vote of 2!!!!!), but who's gonna design the flyer to print off and sign?

And who's gonna host the site for downloading it?

And who's gonna set up the PO BOX for sending them to?

Any volunteers?

how about a form like a sponser jobby for example

Name address signature

..................... .................. .................

.................... .................. .................

.................... ..................... ..................

could get 50 people on one page.

Then we could ask local garages if they would help us by asking there customers to sign it and collect them from them after a week ot two. The same principle could be used for family and you workplace the only work would be handing out and collecting forms.

How are we going to collate them all well isn't this just an excellent excuse for a Supra meet ....... we could all meet up in a central location someone could collect all the forms and forward them to Tony "robing Bstrd Blair"

Originally posted by tbourner

So, it's decided (by the vote of 2!!!!!), but who's gonna design the flyer to print off and sign?

And who's gonna host the site for downloading it?

And who's gonna set up the PO BOX for sending them to?

Any volunteers?

I'm looking at the address part today.

Though I'll leave flyer design to someone with more artistic ability :p

Maybe something similar to the ABD design? (although not exactly the same!!)

As a British subject, tax-payer and voter, I pledge that I will withhold my vote from any politician or party both national and local who expresses support for the current unjustified and punitive tax on motor fuel. Furthermore, I call upon the Government to guarantee the following points:-

To refrain from raising punitive taxes against any section of the population

To recognise the right of individuals to choose their preferred mode of transport without fear of coercion.

To implement a programme of steady and significant reductions to the current unacceptable level of fuel duty.

In the interest of the consumer and to ensure transparency in the future, I also call upon retailers to permanently display the price of fuel and duty separately at the filling station forecourt.

Name ...........................................................................

Address ..................................................................................................

................................................................................................................

Signature .................................................