The mkiv Supra Owners Club

-*-New Member Alert-*-

Guest Vanster

The Seat Leon i mentioned is the "hot version" trust me you have a go at one in your TT and you'l be embarrased... yes you'll kill him eventually but over a short distance or down a dual carriage way and you think again what you've just wrote...

I remember coming up behind one of these in my old stock TT aerotop and it was indeed a very fast car down a twisty A road and was a match for the sup in these conditions and until we hit the dual carriageway and approached triple figures.......

i wouldn't say it was embarrasing though.....more suprising how lively the thing was.............

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not every NA owner wants to go for the TT, there is a friendly banter from the TT guys saying "its only an NA", but its a Supe. I enjoy my NA and I will do mods to eek out a few extra bhp, and thats it a few extra bhp. I don't want to spend silly money on trying to go all out. but I am after a useable daily driver, with the NA the power delivery is smooth and with the TT it is up to the first Turbo and BANG then up to the second turbo and BANG, its not something I want. There have been many tales of woe from TT drivers who have lost it and ended up with huge repair bills.

With 0-60 times between the TT and NA, what is 0.5 of a second in real life, about 30ft. I can live with that :)

I'm afraid the debate will always be there,

And i'm always the black sheep when it comes to this,

Seroiusly though it may appear i winge, but its not meant to come across that way.

I own a Manual NA and when peple say there are slow ... i'm totally confused because mine isn't .. I have drove a few Autos and yes have found some to be a little sluggish but that could be down to many factors,

oK TO MY KNOWLEDGE. My NA came over here and on its original spec sheet it had a sheet with a quoted 250bhp

My mods are as follows unless anything has be done internally that i am unaware of,

HKS Induction kit

Trail 5in System

I have since fitted a Turbofit Intake pipe which has "transformed the pick up " and would wholly recommend fitting one of theseif you have a NA and i have fitted a cold Air feed,

The 0-60 is 6 secs dead, pick up its very quick especially in 2nd - 3rd and from 80 - 130mph, the Car feels quick and its quicker than my bosses Audi A6 2.7TT,

I'm not wingeing guys or having a huge debate but from driving my car everyday i cannot see where this point of view comes,from??

perhaps i'm lucky and something has been done that i'm unaware of or there are alot of badly out of tune NA s with seized on back brakes out there...

I've said many a time a Supe is a Supe if you like the NA you get the looks and the club spirit, yet reliability , MPG etc if its your everyday car,

If you want something a little more hardcore get the TT, Choice is yours i could buy a TT tomorrow but chose the NA as its my everyday driver and offered me a more sensible lower cost option,

Alot of people are going the NA-T route which isn't a bad choice and in some cases is cheaper than trying to buy a good standard TT which are getting more and more hard to find and with prices rising out in JAPAN.

As i said not winging just trying to explain why i defend my corner when it comes to discussions

I remember coming up behind one of these in my old stock TT aerotop and it was indeed a very fast car down a twisty A road and was a match for the sup in these conditions and until we hit the dual carriageway and approached triple figures.......

i wouldn't say it was embarrasing though.....more suprising how lively the thing was.............

Exactly my point, you will kill them over a larger distance but even some of the newer big bhp deseil cars are nowdays very rapid ,

My point was you get these big BHP jap cars and you get some little crappy french or whatever hot hatch and even with Skylines etc you can get embarrased on the roads even into 3 figs, I suppose power to weight ratios etc come into it too

I too will defend the NA corner, I am not looking for a "mine's bigger than your's" debate. As far as I am concerned, I am driving a Supra, there is no inferior or superior. At the end of the day they are exactly the same on the outside. As I have said before this is the Supra Car Club, not the Supra TT or Supra NA club.

My point as always was i don't understand the don't buy "its slow" when mine isn't thats all

I think i should perhaps do some more investigation into my car and find out if anthing special has been done, perhaps its had port work who knows??? as i have driven a few Autos that were not responsive, but they had just come over so perhaps needed ECU resets if they had spent their life poodling around the cities at 30mph out there

Have a few bits to do on the house first part of the year, May upgrade to a TT later in the year, or even get a Skyline ... lets see what 2007 brings

Planning loads of track days then? Or do you find the worse fuel economy together with the higher repair bills simply irreristible :)

Planning loads of track days then? Or do you find the worse fuel economy together with the higher repair bills simply irreristible :)

mmm. good points

The Skyline was more of a practical view e.g boot and space, and "comfort", the GTS modded by my friends garage to 350bhp will be suffient and still as good on fuel as my Supe,

Just ideas at the moment, but i like the looks of the Supe and it has more road presence that the Skyline ,

My worry with the TT though would be high repair bills and fuel bills.

we'll see........ house projects first though

I went from an Auto NA to a Manual TT Bpu and although I was happy to start with the NA, I was always envious of the TT owners and the Whistle of the Tubbies.

saying that, I didnt find the NA a slouch at all, the pickup was very good but I was killed many a time by Impreza's on dual carriageways.

Now its payback time and although I dont 'race' other cars as a rule.....the power of the TT is always there on tap if I need it.

I am glad I started with an Na as it was my first RWD car and it prepared me better for the TT.

Loving the whistling tubbies!! ;)

Max, I drove a 96 manual this week and it was painfully slow. No pick up in 2nd and 3rd at all. I got back in my 2 litre diesel Mondeo and felt that was faster.

Eh? As someone else says, something very wrong. I've got a V6 Mondy which feels painfully slow compared to my NA!

Anyways, as I've said before, the NA is a great car (had mine 4 years now and wouldn't swap it for a TT or single), but the TT is mind blowing when it comes to acceleration (even in stock form).

If that's your bag don't go for anything else, if you can't afford what you want, save up - the prices are still dropping and you may well find a bargain. If out right speed isn't your thing give all the varieties a go, you might find an NA a good laugh to drive.

Finally, the NA isn't a cheap option to run, I've spent as much on mine in maintenance and presents as my other half has with his TT. What with the increased insurance costs the NA will bring go for the car you'll keep, not one which'll see you good for 6 months until you get itchy feet.

Interesting that a few have mentioned the NA is more to insure than a TT ??? is this true ??

or is it just more to insure than a UK TT, I know the J Spec TT is more to insure than a UK TT,

I never understand insurance, i thought grp 20 was the max yet i'm told my NA is a 26 and the Skyline i was interested in was a 35 (apparantley all Skylines are the same grp so if you can afford the GTR get one)

My NA was £150 less to insure than my FTO, The wifes RX8 is only a 16 yet is more expensive to put right than the Supra

I think insurance companies just put their finger in the air and think of a figure...

But at £297.00 ayear fully comp + protection for my NA it is still cheaper beleive it or not for me than a 1.8 Mondeo cira 1993 (did a random on line quotes) A mondeo they wanted £395.00 for me:wtf:

Pointless if you dont plan a lot of track days though..... :)

Why pointless, ??

The Skyline is a nice everyday car too, and comfortable and practical

Neither of these cars were intended for track use just good performance road cars,

My mate drives a Skyline with 500+ at the wheels as a everydayer with 70k of mods on it, only occasionally does he do track days and when he does thats usually only with the GTROC.

You could say only buy a 911 if you only plan to do track days, most don't, :)

I swapped from an n/a to a tt Aristo and landed myself in big trouble with repair costs, wish i had kept the n/a, Aristo is quick but on boost all the time you piss fuel and grip, the n/a certainly felt more reliable and solid and was still shite on fuel but certainly no slouch.Only thing is it is poor mpg to get 0-60 in 6.5 when more modern cars can go as quick and do 30mpg, but supra is a head turner!!

got me worried now i have an n/a and it feels slow, sold my evo iv because i could not control the spending on upgrades always wanted an extra few bhp and thats the reason for getting the n/a. the evo was running 370bhp/365lbft is that why it feels slow if not what could be wrong

got me worried now i have an n/a and it feels slow, sold my evo iv because i could not control the spending on upgrades always wanted an extra few bhp and thats the reason for getting the n/a. the evo was running 370bhp/365lbft is that why it feels slow if not what could be wrong

After a EVO i'd imagine most things seem slow, ;)

What is suprising with them is the 0-60 in i think is it the Evo 1 or 2?? Somerthing silly like 4.3 secs.... who needs a Porsche or a Ferrari when for £2500 YOU'D BEAT THEM HANDS DOWN ;) in what lloks like a Proton. not knocking them I rate all EVOS ,

Is your NA Man or Auto ??

I'd do the basic upgrades first filter /exhaust , DO A ECU rest and check everything is set up properly Timing etc,

Mine is 6 secs to sixty and from 80 it flys, I find with the NA because it has no Turbo you just need to gets it moving once in 2 or 3rd and it livens up, its just that first pull away which other cars can have you on, must be the weight of it, But saying that my Boss had a Audi A6 2.7TT and my NA was quicker ... much to his horror..

Bottom Line is:

N/A : fast car

TT : Very fast car

BPU TT : very very fast car

After that: nuts fast

Seat Leon Cupra R?!?! are you nuts, its small and nippy yes but a match to a 3.0 TT car?, around corners its all about the skill of a driver, a pro driver could probaly beat a normal everyday supra driver around a twisty track in a Seat because he knows how to drive it.

The supra handles great, its only in the wet when things go tits up, otherwise you probably wont find many rear wheel drive cars as heavy as the supra that can handle as good

After a EVO i'd imagine most things seem slow, ;)

What is suprising with them is the 0-60 in i think is it the Evo 1 or 2?? Somerthing silly like 4.3 secs.... who needs a Porsche or a Ferrari when for £2500 YOU'D BEAT THEM HANDS DOWN ;) in what lloks like a Proton. not knocking them I rate all EVOS ,

Is your NA Man or Auto ??

I'd do the basic upgrades first filter /exhaust , DO A ECU rest and check everything is set up properly Timing etc,

Mine is 6 secs to sixty and from 80 it flys, I find with the NA because it has no Turbo you just need to gets it moving once in 2 or 3rd and it livens up, its just that first pull away which other cars can have you on, must be the weight of it, But saying that my Boss had a Audi A6 2.7TT and my NA was quicker ... much to his horror..

I think your a bit cuckoo. I raced a scooby (V reg 2.0 Turbo) the other day (in the wet too) and he had the lead on me for the first 2/3m from the lights, then i struggled to see his headlights in the rear.

I think your a bit cuckoo. I raced a scooby (V reg 2.0 Turbo) the other day (in the wet too) and he had the lead on me for the first 2/3m from the lights, then i struggled to see his headlights in the rear.

410bhp i think you would certainly have killed mr Scooby,

I drove a Rally version Saturday 340bhp quick but hits the rev limiter very quickly, on the twisty stuff another ball game,

If the Scoob was "just the 2.0Turbo version" i'm not suprised you killed it,

Now if it had been a ST1 , Jap Typre R or a P1 different ball game again, you'd have killed it eventually but it would have put up a damn good fight ;)

What amazed me more with the Scoob was the grip...awesome even though it suffers a little oversteer

Reference to slow off the start then getting a move on was aimed at the NA you just need to get it moving..