The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High revs but no speed increase on auto kickdown!

RedM

funny because before I took my soop off the road to sell my other car I have the same problem and was wondering what it was. I can be sitting there driving along at 60ish mash my foot to the floor and it will drop a gear or two and the engine will rev its tits off at about 5.5-6k ish and slowly kreep to 7k without much power. It then changes gear and BOOM both tubbies come online and mash me to my seat. I thought its a bit dodgy if going to overtake and theres no power. I have a 93 tt GZ auto with only 47 thousand miles so I dont think its my box slipping or at least I hope not as it hasnt done many miles. Anyway I hope you find the answer as I also need to know whats going on

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed it does. This is what makes me think it isn't the box. It's absolutely fine EXCEPT when flooring it from the 60-70 mph mark.

Of course, what I think is fine may not actually be fine. I could be suffering all sorts with it but know no different!

Unfortunatly thats usually valve bodies. Happens with that box, reverese is fine.

funny because before I took my soop off the road to sell my other car I have the same problem and was wondering what it was. I can be sitting there driving along at 60ish mash my foot to the floor and it will drop a gear or two and the engine will rev its tits off at about 5.5-6k ish and slowly kreep to 7k without much power. It then changes gear and BOOM both tubbies come online and mash me to my seat. I thought its a bit dodgy if going to overtake and theres no power. I have a 93 tt GZ auto with only 47 thousand miles so I dont think its my box slipping or at least I hope not as it hasnt done many miles. Anyway I hope you find the answer as I also need to know whats going on

I've noticed the same tbh. Sometimes you plant the foot, it changes gears and it doesn't really do anything until it changes into 3rd.

I just thought it was the autobox being a bit stupid... lol

.............. How are you measuring the fluid level, step by step???

I did not find your answer to Chris's question. Incorrect measurement procedure can give reading that are way off and give an apparent level that is much higher than the actual level. This results in the box operating short fluid and causing a variety of strange box behaviours.

This does sound a bit no-second-turbo. It could be a gammy pressure tank, it could be a bad connection in the footwell (I know of at least one of these and a pin refurb fixed it).

-Ian

second turbo works normally when driving in other situations. Just like a few others have said, not when kickdown drops all the time.

I did not find your answer to Chris's question. Incorrect measurement procedure can give reading that are way off and give an apparent level that is much higher than the actual level. This results in the box operating short fluid and causing a variety of strange box behaviours.

Yeh, you should have engine on and run the shifter through all gears a few times to make sure fluid has completely filled box.

This does sound a bit no-second-turbo. It could be a gammy pressure tank, it could be a bad connection in the footwell (I know of at least one of these and a pin refurb fixed it).

-Ian

Apart from issues at these speeds the 2nd tubbie does seem to work okay. From a standstill I get a nice boost at 4k.

I'm having her checked for boost leaks and damaged pipes, VSV stuff.

Apart from issues at these speeds the 2nd tubbie does seem to work okay. From a standstill I get a nice boost at 4k.

I'm having her checked for boost leaks and damaged pipes, VSV stuff later this week.

I promise you mate, if you've got oil mist around some of the hosing, then you've got a boost leak of some kind. Either that or the oil fairy is coming around at night and is trying to lead you off the scent of a gammy box....

second turbo works normally when driving in other situations. Just like a few others have said, not when kickdown drops all the time.

thats just like mine, I put it down to lag but it takes ages for it to gain revs and change gear. then I get loads of power after gear change. the car works fine from a stand still aswell. nail it from stop and i get both tubbies doing there business just fine. Maybe its just an anomily with the auto box :shrug:

:haha: - sorry bud, I know you're doing a degree car mechanics - but you need to brush up on somethings ! ;)

He said that the car revs high but doenst go any faster? So I thought maby the clutch could be slipping because that is what happened to me...Car was reving high but not going anywhere fast...got a new clutch fitted and now its ok....I wasnt sure if the clutch slipping symtoms are different...I guess I misunderstood....

Sorry Clarkey Im not and expert in differences between auto boxes and manuals like you...and i dont have a plank of wood shoved up my ass like you do either...

I've had this thought put to me.

Somewhere a hose is split but not badly. Under normal condition the forces passing through it aren't enough to open it enough to make a noticeable difference.

However, with the huge surge created dropping down two gears at 60+ and the 2nd turbo demanding it be fed the poor pipe is forced open and the turbo can't spool up until things settle down a bit.

Any thoughts?

I've had this thought put to me.

Somewhere a hose is split but not badly. Under normal condition the forces passing through it aren't enough to open it enough to make a noticeable difference.

I was checking my pipes for the exact same thing today - i just dont always have boost when i want it, but most of the time its there. In convinced i must have a split pipe thats acting in this manner - bummed if I can find it though.

Hope its this simple.

Sorry Clarkey Im not and expert in differences between auto boxes and manuals like you...and i dont have a plank of wood shoved up my ass like you do either...

Doesn't take a genius to know that auto's don't have a clutch (well they have clutch-packs but not the same thing :D)

He said that the car revs high but doenst go any faster? So I thought maby the clutch could be slipping because that is what happened to me...Car was reving high but not going anywhere fast...got a new clutch fitted and now its ok....I wasnt sure if the clutch slipping symtoms are different...I guess I misunderstood....

He also said in the thread title

"High revs but no speed increase on auto kickdown"

Keep reading your ABC's you mincer! ;)

http://kde.me.uk/missing-icons/cr16-action-music_32ndnote.png

The big bolt is connected to the - little bolt

The little bolt is connected to the - big metal thingy

The big metal thingy is connected to the - big bolt

http://kde.me.uk/missing-icons/cr16-action-music_32ndnote.png

• 1 month later...