The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is it so scary in the wet!??

Dash Rendar

I have RLTC and to be honest, it's like Doug (Class One) says, "be smooth". I can drive quickly and smoothly and never have RL rear it's head or I can drive aggressively and it's cutting in all the time. Just adjust your driving style and remember that winter doesn't last forever.

....and get some decent rubber.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 problems, Kingstar Radials (Jeez, even the name sounds iffy....) ad the WEIGHT of the thing. Not easy to address the latter, but a decent set of tyres, the narrowest recommended for your rim width, should help a lot. Other usually causes are bad alignment, lowered car, too stiff a spring or anti roll bar set up. Final common problem is people coming from FWD or 4WD to a powerful and heavy RWD car and just not knowing how to treat them (carefully....:))

As people have said do not drive like a twat(not suggesting that you have been), i had my sz lose traction but only when accelerating too much, expensive tyres may help but i can guarantee that if you drive like a twat even with them on you wil lose traction.Proper tyre pressures good tyre tread and not using remoulds is most important, but nothing more so than using the in built traction control on the end of your right leg.I have been driving a 1.2 punto for the last 3 months and if i try to take a roundabout too fast in the wet it understeers. I drove the sz all tyhrough the winter through snow ice, blizzards and rain with new nankangs on it and it was fine as long as i was relatively careful, in the dry was brilliant, and was brilliant in a straight line wet or dry.Could accelerate hard in the wet in a straight line and no probs, just bends and tight corners(and petrol station forecourts) that were a prob if putting too much coal on. Good luck:)

Tyres tyres tyres. Its what sticks you to the road after all. Buy any car and change from a budget tyre to a very good make and you will see a remarkable difference in cornering ability. I'm gonna be rude here but most folks haven't even gotten close to the limits of a supras handling ability in the dry!!! I personally found this out when I pulled an almost automan 90 degree turn when I subconsciously realised I had all but missed my exit from a roundabout in the wrong lane, and non mind controlled turned in anyway. A second later I was stunned to find I had gone through a gap between two cars shorter than the length of my car at 90 degrees with no fishtailing or anything and without hitting anything. Your piss poor tyres really will only show up their lack of quality either on a track or in the wet to b honest. Bridgestone potenzas aren't bad tyres but are more suited to the dry than wet. Myself for the money I'd go with the eagle F'1s every time.

I've done that 90 degree cornering thing myself. I still can't get over it and wish I'd had it on video. It's not something I'd try every day but it's nice to know the car realises I can be a twit at times and occasionally lets me off while reminding me who is boss.

Just remember to drive like a granny in the rain!!

I had a 300bhp mr2 turbo and I spun it twice in the wet. One time alot of damage, and the other... luckily not that much.

Like others have said, you have to treat rwd cars and wet roads with respect. Worst time is when it hasn't rained for a while, then does. The roads are greasy!!

The Supra is alot more forgiving compared with the mr2 though (I'm glad!!).

I usually drive very carefully in the wet all the same.

even the SZ can be a bit of a bugger at times, is the TT really that bad tho guys as maybe December isnt the best time for me to buy!

why not, I'd go for it at any time of the year :) just treat it with a lot of respect!

You could pretty much drive any car in any weather so long as you drive appropriately (i.e. using brain)

with the supra in the wet that means carefully and smoothly as has been said

can't imagine driving the supra in the ice and snow would be fun though, probably very easy to get stuck... Mine will be staying at home in those conditions

even when I had the 4wd integrale before hand, and especially now with the supra I tend to only really go for it in the dry. So much can go wrong in the wet, especially at this time of year - unexpected mud on road, leaves, greasy roads, other people going to fast and crashing... even if you have the traction, you still have to be able to stop!

dash render - have you stiffened and lowered your Supra ?

one thing to bear in mind with wet weather handling is that the stiffer a car is then it looses the ability to put as much weight onto the loaded tyres during cornering. And its the weight acting on the tyre that gives it the grip, along with the other factors in the equation of course, but when the suspension has been stiffened and lowered then this is the main cause.

My Supra on stock UK suspension handles really well in the wet and its a real good laugh when driving on wet roads.

As others have pointed out the other main factor will be the tyres and how effectively they can disperse the water from the road.

I've had RLTC for a week and it has given me at least 500% more traction in the wet.

No you don't, you have the same, it just controls how much power you put down, something your right foot can do to a lesser extent. The one easy way to improve traction is to improve your tyres, after all they are the only part of your car in contact with the road surface (hopefully!) Good tyres are the best performance mod for any car - I can't believe people spend £1000s on mods to make their car go faster and then drive around on shitty cheap tyres.

As others have said most tyres these days will give you good performance in the dry, probably with grip levels that you're never gonna tax, so you really want a tyre that grips and copes well in the wet. Eagle F1 GS-D3s are a great choice in this respect, and not particularly expensive either.

:looney:

I must admit that although RLTC does not give you more traction (impossible) it as good as does.

Although technically you can do it all with your right foot ;) in a turbo car because power in made with such positive feedback it is almost impossible to get just the right level of power with out backing off too much or getting boost to creep up.

You can do it a bit, but RLTC can cut individual cylinders from firing within a single revolution of the engine.

there is no way you can get that level of control.

I'd be a lot quicker in the wet with RLTC on and maximising the grip at every moment vs. trying to do the same thing with the slow arse - brain - foot loop and the constant risk of over cooking it.

There is no substitute for being able to drive, but RLTC as good as increases traction in the wet because it does the impossible, something the best driver in the world still couldn't do because it is a physical impossibility.

but agreed, if you are spending money, before anything else, get good tyres!

When I first got my car, any wet conditions, I was shit scared. It fish tailed everywhere. I lived in lincoln, where it hardly rains. Not im in lancaster at the moment, and it rains literally every day!! It has made me get some much used to driving the car fast in the wet and ive learnt a lot on when she will let go and a when she will get grip again. Ive tried the odd bit of drifting but im still shite at it

Thanks for the tips all.

If I had the money, I'd invest in some Eagle F1s right now and store the other tyres until the dry season (since they have loads of tread). Unfortunately, I neither have the money, nor the space to accomplish this, so I'll just wait until my tyres need replacing and drive extra smooth in the wet.

Agreed... It's a powerful car and with a turbo, it's hard to put the power down as smoothly as one would like. I'm not a total idiot (at least, I don't think I am!) and right from the day I bought the car, I knew it needed a lot of respect. Doubly-so in the wet.

I just wanted to get a measure from you guys about how pervasive this problem is. I didn't know if my particular car was set up badly and thus slipping more than other Supras. I realise now it is probably just the tyres, so I know what to do in the future.

Agreed... It's a powerful car and with a turbo, it's hard to put the power down as smoothly as one would like. I'm not a total idiot (at least, I don't think I am!) and right from the day I bought the car, I knew it needed a lot of respect. Doubly-so in the wet.

Feed the in throttle progressively. And be mindful of the 4k transition point when turbo #2 comes online.

Or you could go single and then wouldn't have a 4k transistion point :)

When I first bought my supra in july I had toyo tyres on the front and bridgestones on the rear (standard alloys). the weather was good for a week and I drove the car pretty hard all the time (hard not to when youve just got it :D ) and the grip was amazing. On the first day it rained (about a week into my soop driving) I took my fiance to work, driving carefully dropped her off, on the way home turned left at a roundabout (90 degree bend) gentle on the throttle the back end bit my head off ended up doing a 180 facing a bin lorry, went sideways up a kirb and smashed my rage front bumper :( what an embarresment not to mention the deposit I left in my fresh clean boxers. Anyway the next week I bought a set of 18's and put goodyear eagle F1 tyres front and back with the GS-D3 tread pattern and what a transformation, handles perfect in the dry and I tryed my best putting my foot down around bends in the soking wet and although yes the back end creeped out it was completely controllable, foot off the throttle and it corrects itself bonus :D

You may want to change tyres before you learn the hard way like me lol. Sorry for the long thread guys just thought I would share my experience with poor tyres and the difference a set of good tyres can make.

Just to add to this "Its the tyres that make the most difference thread" I'd like to warn members to the atrocious handling in the wet with Nankang NS1 tyres.

Just DON'T USE THEM, not unless you like looking where you're going through the rear quarter light as your passenger(s) scream!!