The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is it so scary in the wet!??

Dash Rendar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You come off the roundabout and as the road straightens, you give just a tiny blip of throttle... Wheyhey!! Back end is out and you have a frantic couple of seconds restoring control, with the backend snaking all over the road.

Once you regain control, you look out the window and give the geezer in the next lane an arrogant nod that says, "Yeah, I mean't to do that."

;)

In the dry, the handling of my Supra is unbelievable.

I remember from yonks ago, when a friend of mine (who has quite of bit of race driving experience) was helping me master the Supra through practicing the lift-off oversteer around some 'private' roundabouts. We first practiced in his MX5, and it was so easy to get the back out with the lift off. But the Supra held to the road *much* tighter and just kept on gripping the road.

But in the wet, the Supra is just a complete nightmare. A tiny throttle blip causes the backend to fishtail around like a maniac. If I'm going around a roundabout at 'sensible' speeds, the car stills likes to slide and drift out.

Other cars I've driven don't seem so capricious. My old Rover handled reasonably okay in the dry and not much worse in the wet. My Scooby handles great in the dry and the wet.

Why is it that my Supra is virtually undriveable when the rain sets in?

Is it just me? Is it just my Supra? Could it be the tyres or the alignment? I'd like to know the answers to these questions because it seems a shame to have such a great car, but to be scared to death of it 50% of the year.

Its even harder if you have a belly full of beer, thats when mister i can do anything kicks in?????????:innocent:

You come off the roundabout and as the road straightens, you give just a tiny blip of throttle... Wheyhey!! Back end is out and you have a frantic couple of seconds restoring control, with the backend snaking all over the road.

Once you regain control, you look out the window and give the geezer in the next lane an arrogant nod that says, "Yeah, I mean't to do that."

;)

Man I hoofed it out of a junction this afternoon into a very tight gap in traffic. I half fed the gas (its an auto so I can't ride the clutch) to get round most of the 90 degree turn and then flattened it to the floor with a touch too much steering. The back overcooks, you steer into it and gently back off the juice til it comes straight. Then look in your rear view at the face of the guy you just pulled out in front of. Its especially satisfying when that face has a huge grin on it.

Man I hoofed it out of a junction this afternoon into a very tight gap in traffic. I half fed the gas (its an auto so I can't ride the clutch) to get round most of the 90 degree turn and then flattened it to the floor with a touch too much steering. The back overcooks, you steer into it and gently back off the juice til it comes straight. Then look in your rear view at the face of the guy you just pulled out in front of. Its especially satisfying when that face has a huge grin on it.

Damn, that sounds like fun. All I get is RL causing the exhaust to pop, pop, pop away as it works it's magic. I'd turn it off but I'm a big fraidy cat until pointing straight.:blink:

Damn, that sounds like fun. All I get is RL causing the exhaust to pop, pop, pop away as it works it's magic. I'd turn it off but I'm a big fraidy cat until pointing straight.:blink:

Yeah I was too but then my last mk4 had hoofers more power than the 3 has. That said the 3 has about 300 or more horses, but I think after 4 1/2 years of rear wheel driving and stupidly slippery conditions to keep the speed down its starting to get a bit easier.