Some Interesting Products

Nic

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah... much better.

It was finished in the car which taste adjusts one bodily sensation strangely delightfully.

Orgasmic in fact! :sex:

Individual throttle bodies main advantage is increased throttle response, on both turbo and N/A engines.

Precisely. You don't have a big volume of air to move around between the throttle blade and the valves, and they stop you sucking exhaust gas back into the plenum on the overlap when you close the throttle.

But IIRC they will cock up any specific tuning for low-down torque. The NA has a two-mode plenum for ths reason.

1 big pipe has a larger cross section than 6 small ones.

I think that depends more on the size of the big and small pipes :)

Anyway, having six individual short stacks and no plenum will certainly be less restrictive that having six pipes breathing through a single throttle body. Having no plenum at all means that you are forced into having individual throttle bodies. But in this arrangementits the individual stacks that are giving the advantage. The individual throttle bodies are a necessary addition.

If you add a plenum then you are pretty much going back to being as restrictive as the stock setup as all the air flows through a single throttle body sized tube. However you do get the throttle response benefits that CW mentioned as the air in the plenum isn't acting like abig gas spring, and residual exhaust gas cannot be trapped in the intake when you close the throttle.

However, as I said above the plenum tuning is a part of whole rev range performance on the NA, and adding individual bodied with or without a plenum will almost certainly compromise that. If you want to shoot for a headline big power figure at high RPM then short runners and individual bodies is a good way to go.

Finally, individual bodies with a verical spindle will have an effect on swirl, but its not the same as, and won't be as controllable as the dedicated port deactivation systems such as the one Toyota used on its four pot MR2 engine.

Sorry mate that wasnt meant as a dig or anything ;)

Erm, I might come next June when my endowement matures..... :D

Looking at that picture (and I haven't seen the bigger version because I refuse to bother signing up to some spamfest at imageshack in order to do so) there does appear to be some control mechanism in the plumbing that means it's not a simple parallel setup. I always maintained that issue #1 would be the packaging of bigger sequential turbos, but it looks like someone has spent the time and the money to fit it all in, so speaking as one of the naysayers, I was wrong on this front and happy to be proven so :)

Issue #2 for me was balancing the spooling of turbo 1 and the prespool and cutover of turbo 2 to ensure more drivability than a simple single or parallel twin setup. If they have cracked that (and sadly we may never know) then it's truly an interesting solution. Interesting it seems to mention the E-Manage for controlling this, I can't really see how it would - the Ultimate might be able to with it's additional output maps though.

So Suprash, you ordered one yet? ;)

-Ian