The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Top Mods

Glosphil

Guest Nicholas
Awesomeeeeee! Bet you can't wait!

I went for the one that Paul makes, the other was a bit outa my price range :(

I keep reaching for the phone to ask Paul when I can pick her up :)

cool matey, your cars looking great now!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the FCD is fooling the ECU so it thinks the boost is under 1bar then does that stop the ECU from thinking there is overboosting?

The FCD is an electronic device that fools the ECU, basically it caps the signal to the ECU, so it thinks the turbos are boosting less than 1bar (ie. the point where it is programmed to cut fuel), some FCD's completely disable the fuel cut, others modify the signal to the ECU so as to raise the fuel cut level.

How is overboosting monitored?

What tells the turbos to stop spinning so fast? I'm really not sure :search:

The wastegate on the turbo controls the boost pressure by recirculating the gasses from the exhaust so they do not go through the turbo. On a stock J-spec TT the catalytic convertors also help limit the boost by causing a restriction in the exhaust. When you remove the cats, you remove this restriction and the small wastegate on the J-spec TT is then overwhelmed and cannot keep boost down to a safe level. This is why a restrictor ring is fitted, to restrict the gas flow in the exhaust and thus limit boost.

If you do remove the cats, it is vital that you have a boost gauge fitted so you can monitor the boost levels.

When my Supe was stock it used to waste the poor mans porsche s.

You are talking a totally different animal with a Supra trust me when I say I have seen so many newbs and those that have owned for sometime starting to post up threads on how they have managed to total there car from now till March each year. Be carefull and don't be another of those (killed my Supe threads)

Thanks for that little warning :) Not had a crash yet, driven dozens of sports cars, I should be ok. If not, your welcome to say I told u so :)

Thanks for that little warning :) Not had a crash yet, driven dozens of sports cars, I should be ok. If not, your welcome to say I told u so :)

The only thing is Fella, is that the surge from No 2 turbo is VERY harsh (well, it is when BPUd) and if you are going round a damp corner on JDM tyres, you will likely lose the back.

Is your name actually Phil? Feel odd calling you 'Fella'

If you need more advice, drop me a PM :)

The only thing is Fella, is that the surge from No 2 turbo is VERY harsh (well, it is when BPUd) and if you are going round a damp corner on JDM tyres, you will likely lose the back.

Is your name actually Phil? Feel odd calling you 'Fella'

If you need more advice, drop me a PM :)

Yeah its Phil.

Its got work vs 18" split rim allows and some nice wide tyres, so hopefully it will be ok. Besides, I like a bit of back slide :) I used to surf my Z3 3.0 round roundabouts sideways

Yeah its Phil.

Its got work vs 18" split rim allows and some nice wide tyres, so hopefully it will be ok. Besides, I like a bit of back slide :) I used to surf my Z3 3.0 round roundabouts sideways

I have 11" wide rears and it will still kick, and kick hard.

This isnt the same as an NA breaking away, at least they are progressive. guess it depends whether yours will be auto or manual, and thus if it has an LSD or not - the LSD creates the severe kick i have seen - it causes both wheels to slip sideways, not just maybe one :D

I have 11" wide rears and it will still kick, and kick hard.

This isnt the same as an NA breaking away, at least they are progressive. guess it depends whether yours will be auto or manual, and thus if it has an LSD or not - the LSD creates the severe kick i have seen - it causes both wheels to slip sideways, not just maybe one :D

Its a manual ?

The TT was last year, I've had 3 cars since then. I've got a Boxster S at the mo. Its faster than the TT, but still feels slow to me, I need something with some power. I test drove the Supra, and while it feels fast, there is not much in it between the porsche and supra. I want it faster, its what I want, its what im willing to pay for, so thats why :) lol

:) Aahh, a not so noo noobie. In that case ignore my rather bizarre bout of sensibilicity and single it till it stings.

Rob, not sure if one of us has our wires crossed here, but you do not need a boost controller on a decatted Jspec. It'll run over 1.6 bar without a restrictor (trust me, I tested it :D ), the restrictor just brings boost down to 1.2 ish.

That said it'd be nice to have a lareg restrictor and a boost controller play around with so you can compensate for loss of boost during the summer months.

Why do people quote BC in the original BPU gear then Darryl?

You mean from the Suprastore site that coined the phrase? Thats beacuse they had the US spec cars which had the larger wastegate (same as UK spec). US/UK cars need a boost controller to raise boost since the wastegate CAN handle loss of restriction from the exhuast.

The Jspecs have a smaller wastegate which gets overwhelmed easily, hence the need for a restrictor, but not a BC