The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Still having no luck with insurance!

Tom

Originally posted by NWS25

If I get that bored, I'll scan and post up my 5 pages of documentation for my traders policy.

I'll take your word for it.

Assuming what you say is correct, Tradex must be seriously underestimating the market value of cars. Have you ever had to make a claim with them yet?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that you'll find that most traders policies are 3rd party "road risks" only. Some better (dearer) ones maybe 3rd party F&T but a comprehensive policy would be great deal of money and with a large excess as well.

I know when I had one, it certainly would have been cheaper to insure my personal cars separately, rather than buy a comprehensive trade policy, but as I was actually a trader at the time and driving numerous customers cars as well as sales cars and a car transporter, "free insurance" for my own cars was a perk of the job :)

The Insurance co's usually ask you for a list of cars that you own or have in stock at the time of instatement of the policy.

If you say all you've got is mundane runabouts and "forget" the Supra, if you need to claim in the future and they can prove you deliberately didn't declare it, they "could" void the policy.

All they've got to do is check with the DVLA how long you've owned the car :(

You can ask for what you like Geoff, mines fully comp, and is certainly cheaper for me than to insure, my Alfa and modded supra seperately.

The traders policies are tailor made.

Mines still expensive really, but covers me for anything up to 26k, wether standard or hugely modded.

Originally posted by MfS

Have you contacted Keith Michaels?

I'm quite curieus what they said as I'm insured with them...

Yeah I did today, but they wouldnt quote because of my age but predicted it would be around the 3k mark if they could!

Originally posted by NWS25

You can ask for what you like Geoff, mines fully comp, and is certainly cheaper for me than to insure, my Alfa and modded supra seperately.

The traders policies are tailor made.

Mines still expensive really, but covers me for anything up to 26k, wether standard or hugely modded.

Hope this isn't rude but would you mind giving us an indication of the cost your traders policy as I'm thinking of looking into getting one.

Stealthhosts....

Is that on a UK Supra or a J-spec?

Cheapest Ive got is £1644 with 4500 restricted miles from Footman James.

If my car was a month older (i.e. a 1996 model) it would have been £1400 with 0 NCB with 18" Veilside Alloys decalred from Admiral. As soon as they found out it was a 1997 car it shot up to £3000!!! Nice.

Originally posted by SUPRACHRIS

Have you tried giving tesco the reg instead of just the model, mine was 750 for an SZ but when i came to do it it was 480, and all i needed was a cat 1/2 alarm. not bad as i was 23 with 4yrs NCB :)

Yep I gave a number plate and thats when they said "you have to be over 23 to insure this car"

Ok here's plan B,

Say I was to go under one of my parents names is this ok to do? or does this invalidate the insurance at all as I would be a named driver permantely driving the car???? also if it is above board to do say I had an accident would my mum/dad loose there no claims even if their protected??? would they also have to go under their current insurance company? or can I find another insurance company to go through?

TIA

Originally posted by TDRAPER

Cheers guys,

Scott yeah I could go back on the uk tt route just not sure, insurance on the uk tt is no problem at all, elephant quote me for £850! nice!, thats £200 less than my mini last year!! doesnt make any sense at all! its still just the potential running costs but I dunno!:looney:

im with elephant, im 22 with no ncb (my bug was on a classic policy, you cant collect ncb on a classic policy:( i didn't find that out til it came to renewal:twak: ) and im paying about £800 a year fully comp on my UK Spec:thumbs: from what i can tell the TT cars don't actually cost that much more to run than the N/A cars, i get 24 mpg out of mine on motorway runs at about 80 lph

oh i wouldn't insure my car under my parents name, it will cost nearly as much and you don't collect your own ncb! try putting your parents on your own policy when i did that it knocked £50 off my premium:thumbs:

Insurance is a joke as you have found out. I was on my mum's policy for my first few years of driving but when I started getting higher performance cars it hardly makes any difference. Its a pain that you don't get your own ncb either I'm really suffering now as I don't have much NCB that really puts the price up.

The best bet is to get a UK cars its totally pathetic that its cheaper to insurance a UK TT than a NA import but what can you do but curse the muppets?

Have you rang Adrian Flux BTW?

Is your postcode a high risk area that makes a huge difference too.

Yeah i've tried most of the ones in japanese performance, they still wont even quote, adrian flux cannot do better than 2K I think they would quote me around £2500 even though I've heard other members with much lower quotes thorugh them.

I dont have any points or convicitons I think im in a good postcode? "SS5" if anyone can find out what the risk is from that?

and I have 3 years ncb and passplus which should count for something. Also most of the insurers in jap mag asked what car I was currently driving as this seemed to make a difference; ie: maybe if I had been driving a supra for the last year they would quote.

The only place that has quoted me has been AA and rac both for 5K!! I tried again yesterday under my parents name and it wouldnt quote!

Originally posted by davemartin

i was browsing through an old fast car mag and happened upon this allen/allen hyperperformance group 0208 9390 3900 import car insurance they say they will treat you as if its a uk car/driver

Hyperformance wanted 3k for me, they said that was the best anyone could do and that I should take it!!!!

Originally posted by TDRAPER

I dont have any points or convicitons I think im in a good postcode? "SS5" if anyone can find out what the risk is from that?

It won't please you any to discover that SS5 is rated "A", i.e. lowest possible risk for insurance purposes.

I use to be with Hyperformance - paying around £850 for my NA. They originally quoted me around £6K online!

:looney:

• 3 weeks later...