The mkiv Supra Owners Club

19's on standard suspension

rovervi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS Chris says it COULD be made to work. Consider the amount of grip you will have achieved. The chassis bushes will have maybe 40% more stress applied as the tyres dont let go forever and a day. TRD bushes would be a good help.

The Geometry must be changed to get the best of them. You will see a setup for 18" on a Supra from JOT.ie in tech from a week or so ago, maybe he can get settings for 19"?.

Your tyres are an important shock absorber. Put on elastic bands and your rims will bend. Alloys varying as they do I suggest you either buy top grade stuff or nothing. Buckled 19's are no pleasure. Personally i think a fit set of 18's work as well as you could want and look the bizz too. Consider Blitz 03, Racing Hart, Antera and the like which are all good stuff.

I had a mate used to run a big alloys and tyres place. We used to sit and laugh at the people who came in, bought 19" or the like and put on the cheapest set of boots they could get (sureslide specials).

I would be happier on 17" with the best tyres, than 19" wrapped in budget crap. Even if i fit 18" I change the geometry.

Think it well over before you move.

Dont be rediculous, there not likely to cut corners with cost are they

It's quite obvious you don't understand my point.

They won't cut corners but the Supra was never built as a no expense spared car either, cost and availability are always a factor.

The point I'm making is that there are other things to consider when making a choice for 17" wheels, not just handling.

That's why if a MKV Supra is ever built it's likely to have at least 19" wheels and I'm sure it'll handle superbly too.

how come you can choose the alloys size you want on some cars when they are new and i dont think they will be messing putting different suspension on etc to accomodate

It will drive certainally, but not so magic as it could. Many people who buy new cars are just into looking cool with the biggest wheels possible. 98% IMO of dealers cant do a decent geometry reset anyway!.

It will drive certainally, but not so magic as it could. Many people who buy new cars are just into looking cool with the biggest wheels possible. 98% IMO of dealers cant do a decent geometry reset anyway!.

Yeh very true, i mean like the Mini 15's or 17' and the bmw 3 series range from 16's to 19's although noone probably buys the 19's cuz they are probably about 6k :D

how come you can choose the alloys size you want on some cars when they are new and i dont think they will be messing putting different suspension on etc to accomodate

Generally you can go up a size without any real adverse effects, Toyota already did this going up from 16 to 17".

Generally you can go up a size without any real adverse effects, Toyota already did this going up from 16 to 17".

but the facelift standard size is 17 so goin up a size would be 18.

I just found this to calculate total diameter of a wheel with tyre (it may be a load of crap and i may have got it wrong but it is interesting)

Standard 17's (17 x 25.4 ) + ( 255 * 0.40) x 2 = 635.8mm

19's of same width with lower profile tyres (19 x 25.4) + (255 *0.30) x2 = 635.5999999999999

So the diameter of the wheel is actually now less?? cant be right can it.

Going from 17 to 18, its OK, but if you want it to handle (I use that term for how the car behaves on the limit and beyond) you will need a geometry reset, you could try the much approved settings by JOT.ie posted recently. Personally i think NO Supra should have any toe in on the front. But thats my taste maybe not yours.

you could try the much approved settings by JOT.ie posted recently.

Much approved by who? I'm still trying to decide on what geo settings for mine... and from what I can gather JOT just went with what the guy at the garage told him. I'm after info from someone who understands how each one of the settings would affect things and handling experience on a track. Not someone who just thinks their own settings are the best.

The Lance alignment settings seem widely acknowledged... but JOT's are very different.

This is well complicated stuff, would a garage not know or be able to tell what the best settings for road use with no tyre wear would be (what i will be after)

I suspect not your average back street garage type place no. They'll be more used to making sure all four of your mondeo's wheels are pointing in the right direction.

I suspect not your average back street garage type place no. They'll be more used to making sure all four of your mondeo's wheels are pointing in the right direction.

ha ha, yeh very true, anyone know of anywhere in the Stoke on Trent area that would do a decent job of this

i just put these 19 AVS model 5 wheels on my car which has stock suspension, 19 x 9 front, 19x 10 rear. light for most 19's.

in response to the initial thread poster, my car is a 96 SZ-R NA with 6 speed on stock suspension which came with the bilsteins. id say it handles rather well, coz i have new tyres and have just fitted them. i think in time as it is a Daily Driver it will wear out components more, and the only thing at a disadvantage at the moment is the slight extra body roll around corners. going straight over bumps, potholes etc, the car feels better than my stock 17's(but the tyres wernt great either)

i think it looks '"decent" on stock suspension setup, but im thinking of lowering it 1 inch all around.

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/584/p1010007editedgu5.jpg

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3403/p1010001editedal5.jpg

looking very good, my 19's are on in my garage if anyone wants a scan, it is a bit bumpier but i have no problems with handling rubbing etc, and agree that parts will probably wear quicker but then i will just replace them he he :D and i am mega pleased with how they look (and sorry the pics are a bit crap not had chance to take any better ones yet ;) )