The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What are the common faults on a Supra

Max Headroom

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairline crack on front jap brake calipers, around the bleed nipple ?

I've had this too so used it as time to upgrade to the bigger brake setup. Figured the caliper had been dropped onto the floor on it's bleed nipple before I got it, as it previosuly had KAD's before my ownership.

Just had a look, Johns garage had me :rlol:'n.

Nice and tidy, eh?:p

Actually when I took those pictures it was kinda tidy. Now it's much worse.

I need more space, dammit.:blink:

My resolution is that my next garage will have a lift. But at the moment I'm arranging to start a loft conversion, so I'm not moving and that massive garage dream ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Trivial:

Hatch back bump rubbers

Dash coatings

Rear gearbox oil seal leaks

Dash lights

More serious:

Turbo and their control problems

Valve stem selas perishing

Wheel bearings if kerbed or "silly" wheels fitted

Idling issues

VVti top speed de limitation on Tiptronic models

PAS pump bearing or innards problems

Could make a car scrap value:

Heater matrix leak

Ludicrous body kit problems

Rust

Serious engine oil degridation problems (sedimantation)

Auto box problems

PAS rack knackered on early cars

Trivial:

Hatch back bump rubbers

Dash coatings

Rear gearbox oil seal leaks

Dash lights

More serious:

Idling issues

VVti top speed de limitation on Tiptronic models

Could make a car scrap value:

Heater matrix leak

Ludicrous body kit problems

Rust

Auto box problems

Off topic, but did you buy the Eagle owls Chris?

I agree with you Chris on the Trivial and More Serious items (and a few of the previous posts could be added to trivial), but can't agree with the last 3 on the 'scrap value' items.

If you're talking about TT's I can't agree with the 3rd, 5th or 6th issues you mention. The only cars I've ever seen rust on are UK ones and that wasn't too serious. Autobox can be a problem but they can be swapped for bugger all. PAS rack can cost a few quid but hardly worth wrecking the car for!! I reckon you've been spending too much time buying scrap from the auctions :D :p

...More serious:

We're talking about common faults here, right?

What turbo car has zero turbo issues when it reaches this sort of age?;)

This design incorporates two turbos as well as a pressure tank, a ceramic valve and a swarm of control bits and hoses. Surely these are all expected to be extra things to go wrong, right?

What cars still have good seals at 120K miles? ( I suspect there might be some, but is this a 'fault'?)

This happens in all cars, doesn't it?

It's just that the supra attracts the most extreme of the crowd

Idling issues

Isn't this gunk in the ICV due to old age?

because nobody bothers to change the PAS fluid?

Heater matrix leak

If the coolant is changed every couple of years, would the matrix still fail?

Rust

where?:blink:

Ha ha, you should see vauxhalls of the same age:taped:

If the wrong oil is used and is then kept forever in the sump? How come this is the car's fault?

Auto box problems

What, with people never changing the fluid, or powerbraking until it stinks?

I remember that guy who complained that the autobox failed after spending an evening in a carpark doing doughnuts to impress his friends.

even when the fluid is changed before it ends up dark black?

Maybe we should call this thread 'common issues', that would be more fair.

In my view 'fault' is something that should not be happening with proper maintenance - perhaps a design fault.

Am I the only one to see all the above as the result of supras changing hands for pocket money?

How can they be 'common' if mine is one of the highest mileage cars here, yet has *none* of them?

And they are not exactly 'faults', more like 'issues'.

...semantics, yes, but the way I see it the supra was designed and built much better than the average car.

How can they be 'common' if mine is one of the highest mileage cars here, yet has *none* of them?

Ah right, so if your car doesn't suffer from any of them yet 6 billion trillion others did, they wouldn't be common problems?

Ok I may have exaggerated slightly. :innocent: ;)

Ah right, so if your car doesn't suffer from any of them yet 6 billion trillion others did, they wouldn't be common problems?

Ok I may have exaggerated slightly. :innocent: ;)

John's car is a superior UK spec car like mine and Canny's:p

As circa 600 cars were made i don't see where you get the 6 billion trillion figure from:read:

Am I the only one to see all the above as the result of supras changing hands for pocket money?

Yep, you hit the nail on the head there JohnA.

The cars are incredibly reliable (like most Japanese cars) however failure to carry out the manufacturers service instructions at the recommended intervals WILL eventually cause you a lot of money.

A cars reliability reputation can also be tarnished by people fiddling with stuff they know cock all about. :innocent:

The plastic endcaps are not ideal, however they are not a fault.

This is special plastic rated for these temperatures and pressures, and it's use is standard practice.

The problems start with people fiddling with fancy bling radcaps ('uprated' in the sense that they force the whole cooling system to operate at a pressure higher than it was designed for)

Crappy old coolant will also have diminished heat-transfer capabilities, forcing the whole system to work harder that it should have to.

And don't get me started on the electrolytic deposits all over the cooling channels (radiator included) due to acidic/conductive old coolant. Most of this damage is non-reversible by the way.

People are all too happy to spend £1K on fancy 19" wheels, but will skimp on changing all vital fluids.

Then they complain.

How long would anyone expect a radiator to live anyway?

Whenever I've suspected a rad and took it out to flush the crap, I've ended up changing it for a new one after seeing the horrors inside.

If the coolant has been flushed every year, yours should be like new inside. Only way to know this is if you had the car from new though - same as everything else.