TurboFit T70 conversion

grahamc

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are the specs of the T70 Sam? Are they are T61 equivalent?

Hi LeeT

Here is the info as promised:

Super T70 Turbo

"P" Trim 60.5mm

AR Ratio 0.70

Turbine Housing (Twin Port for Lag Reduction) A/R 0.84

Compressor Housing 0.70

T3 Flange

Sorry I can't tell you if it is like a T61 or not I shall leave that to those who know.

Hope this is what you were looking for....

Compressor Surge Map.jpg

Thanks Sam, I really can't see that turbo making 750bhp but i know you'll try your hardest to prove me wrong :D Its not quite a T61 size and i think they are only rated to 630hp iirc. I say only but 630 is a hell of a lot of horses. I'm downsizing myself as soon as that blithering idiot Mr Evans gets me a delivered price (hint hint Paul)

Thanks Sam, I really can't see that turbo making 750bhp but i know you'll try your hardest to prove me wrong :D Its not quite a T61 size and i think they are only rated to 630hp iirc. I say only but 630 is a hell of a lot of horses. I'm downsizing myself as soon as that blithering idiot Mr Evans gets me a delivered price (hint hint Paul)

Have you seen the size of sams nitros bottles:D

As I said I just want to push it to its limit and see what it will stand........They started to map at 1.8 bar and it was still holding up it was a couple of the other bits that went like the piston oil rings??? Once I know what it will achieve I will let you know it is an interesting experiment for me....as a trainee.;)

As I said I just want to push it to its limit and see what it will stand........They started to map at 1.8 bar and it was still holding up it was a couple of the other bits that went like the piston oil rings??? Once I know what it will achieve I will let you know it is an interesting experiment for me....as a trainee.;)

I actually read a thread on supraforums and this turbo did make 750bhp but we all know that the US dynos are a bit exaggerated:innocent:

According to that pressure map the turbo looks good at high boost levels, still bang on the efficiency island, but you may get surge problems if you run too high a boost too low down.

I think you'll need serious boost to push 750, near 2bar perhaps.

-Ian

I am hoping and say hoping to be looking at the 2 bar area all the other mods done will support that and a little in reserve...at least thats what I am told......as I said before an interesting experiment...:D

According to that pressure map the turbo looks good at high boost levels, still bang on the efficiency island, but you may get surge problems if you run too high a boost too low down.

I think you'll need serious boost to push 750, near 2bar perhaps.

-Ian

But there is a way of running anti surge isn't there? James (Terribleturner) has an anti surge set up on his car (althought he's not running an XSPower turbo).

Is that for the XS Power turbo Marty (Which I'm sure is what Turbofit have quoted for Graham)? I've been trying to find out more info about them but there seems to be very little around.

Basically there are 2 versions of the inexpensive t70 turbo's. One is made by XS-Power and the Other by Masterpower. The later company is believed to produce the more "higher quality" of the 2 Turbos. They are made in brazil, and the company produces turbo's commercially for the marine and heavy industrial Market. Xs-power turbos unfortunately are supplied to them from an unknown quanity, my guess being the chinese market.

Both turbo's are part of the breed of new Hybrid turbos that were designed mainly at the Honda/dsm market in the states. that was using a hybrid t3 hotside and combining it with a full t4 coldside. They can be found all over the place now and known as the t3/4. Ive run them on honda's, and celicas.

The VE charateristics of most of the 4 pot bangers required a t3 style housing to aid the spooling of the larger coldside on the turbo's.

When the above cars started pushing the 600hp boundaries using these, the market opened for AR hot and cold sided variants to be aimed at the 2.5l - 3.5l market. The 2 main turbos to evolve where know as the 'Super t61' and the 'Super t70'. The turbos got there names - not from the AR's and cold/hot sizes, but becuase the compressor maps matched either the Garret t61 or garret t70 compressor maps.

Both these turbos can now be found with 360deg thrust bearing as standard now, basically due to the flaws in the early designs. One of these flaws was blowing Oil seals - the reason being a the lack restrictor in the oil feed for crs pushing more than 70psi of oil pressure at full tilt.

They can be pushed hard - the t70 regularily see's 30psi on race fuel all over the world. It does difffer slightly to the t61 in that the compressor map island is slighty higher meaning it will push a little more air top end.

I actually had the map plotted for the 2JZGTE for both turbos and they were a very good match - hence the t61 being a good choice as the 1st step in the single upgrade journey. I think people tend to forget these are "hybrid" turbo's. they dont use "big shaft" to4 parts or anything fancy, so like any hybrid turbo, they need to be looked after and not abused. There is also a strict break in for the bearing/seals when the turbo is first installed, and also make sure that the feed/return caps are present when it was purchased - as they seal an amount of oil in the turbo during storage before it is sold to suppliers/customers. this helps the seals from drying out.

I dont know anything about Turbofit, there work, or any customers. I have however seen the scare stories, true stories, dyno sheets, videos, of cars and customers running these turbo's and they are there on the net for all to see - so at the end of the day, you pays the money so you decide.

Marty