The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TurboFit T70 conversion

grahamc

And on the same note, speak to Rush and JamieP (Get both sides) and make up your own mind........

Exactly, only fair to hear good experiences as well as bad. We aint talking about small amounts of money here.

He's the guy that never paid his bill right?

No, thats not right. How about you pm me and I will set you straight on that.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have found that the xs branded (or equivalent) intercoolers and copy w/g parts are o.k but i have been warned big style to "stay away" from the turbo's! I am not trying to start contraversy but just repeating what i was told....(my a good mate btw who i trust implicitly!)...Just wanted to share my info.....

I have found that the xs branded (or equivalent) intercoolers and copy w/g parts are o.k but i have been warned big style to "stay away" from the turbo's! I am not trying to start contraversy but just repeating what i was told....(my a good mate btw who i trust implicitly!)...Just wanted to share my info.....

Did the mate give any reasons?

I believe there is nowt wrong with the turbos from XS power - there were a lot of ooold threads based around a kit that SS autochrome (I think) were selling for other specs of vehicle (not the Supe) - where the housing was coming away on some of the turbos and the manifolds they sold were cracking (old design and for 4 bangers not 6). I believe most people dabble with changing the standard supplied tubbie as they are generally quite laggy with a laaarge AR but twin port to reduce lag effect I believe (not just a hooooge hole but two). Had to do some mods on the turbo I picked up to make it a better fit on the down pipe, but that was it, the rest seems fine. I had a chappy check the manifold and the tubbie out due to all the shite slanging I saw about this kit *after* I picked it up on the cheap (lol - always the way) and he reckons the kit should be fine and is well worth the cash anyway - as long as it is fitted corectly. Quite a few threads on manifolds going were due to people inappropriately supporting the turbo - i.e. over bracing, and bracing against something other than the engine (not a good idea when the engine moves independantly of the item you just braced against ;)). I will let you know how my conversion goes ;) Hopefully sooooon.

Right against my better judgement im goign to post up here.

Firstly let me say this is not a company bashing post, but more information about the product. Turbofit, and I have always maintained this, do good spanner work.

I have had an XS power kit here for the last 14 days and on a car. I purposly drove it hard and within 7 days at 1bar the turbo seals went. The car was treated with respect, ie cooling down and warming up. The turbo has been taken apart and inspected and the internals are cheap.

The manifolds have now been revised to the point of being acceptable for everyday use and look like they will hold together under hard driving conditions.

My over all statement about XS Power kit is this.

"The kit is a good budget kit, but replace the turbo with a good quality make and you wont go far wrong. At the end of the day you get what you pay for"

Pull it now Doug cos i for one am gonna flip in a minute! I know what its like establishing a succesfull business. What chance have Sam and Greg got if these 'Toyotatom/Burt' comments keep coming out. That comment was aimed purely at putting a potential new turbofit customer off their services. It wasnt fair. For the 2 dissatisfied customers mentioned, there is also 50 or more satisfied customers. Rant over!

Your comments are out of line.

This is not a trader kissing site this is an OWNERS site. Graham has been advised rightly to talk to those with good AND bad experiences.

Take your head out of your arse and accept that people need to know all angles even if they are uncomfortable reading.

Do you have a piccy of the tubbie you had fitted mate, want to check it aint the same one I have - if it goes, it goes I guess I will have to lay out a bit more dosh - catastrophic failures are best nipped in the bud though ;).

If you have the turbo fitted and the seals go what are the symptoms? (Being a noob to turbos) i.e. is it glaringly obvious plumes of steam from under the bonnet, or is it more insidious and needs regular inspection. How much damage will that cause? (sounds painful). But I have the bit, want to destroy - err - drive it for myself first ;)

Firstly let me say this is not a company bashing post, but more information about the product. Turbofit, and I have always maintained this, do good spanner work.

I have had an XS power kit here for the last 14 days and on a car. I purposly drove it hard and within 7 days at 1bar the turbo seals went. The car was treated with respect, ie cooling down and warming up. The turbo has been taken apart and inspected and the internals are cheap.

The manifolds have now been revised to the point of being acceptable for everyday use and look like they will hold together under hard driving conditions.

"The kit is a good budget kit, but replace the turbo with a good quality make and you wont go far wrong. At the end of the day you get what you pay for"

I'd say that I've heard similar. Personally I'd probably think along these lines: A turbo gets upto 900degC and spins at upto and over 100,000rpm...that's a pretty harsh condition to be in, so I'd personally make sure the turbo was good quality and from a reputable manufacturer who has a good track record.

Do you have a piccy of the tubbie you had fitted mate, want to check it aint the same one I have - if it goes, it goes I guess I will have to lay out a bit more dosh - catastrophic failures are best nipped in the bud though ;).

If you have the turbo fitted and the seals go what are the symptoms? (Being a noob to turbos) i.e. is it glaringly obvious plumes of steam from under the bonnet, or is it more insidious and needs regular inspection. How much damage will that cause? (sounds painful). But I have the bit, want to destroy - err - drive it for myself first ;)

Seals gone = Oil (Blue) smoke.

At best it will just drip oil onto the manifold, at worst it will implode and end up in your engine.

The oil on mine is actually coming out of the housing.

Photos being done now.

I was told that the parts used in the turbo's were basically not very good, but i cannot confirm this from personal experience as i have never used or traded the turbo's, however i have traded a few of the intercoolers (the ones i had were made in china which is the same as XS yes??) and have had some very good feedback from a few members on this board! Cheers

It does seem for the most part this kit is a good way for someone to go single on the "cheap", as in the IC's I have also heard are very good quality for the dosh (definately looks the business to my untrained eye), and the manifolds these days are sturdy enough and a reasonable design - just not necessarily all that well finished by the looks of things (some ugly bits). The turbo is the only really worrying bit for me now - I am half tempted to just run it seeing as I have it and keep an eye on the beggar and put my fedback into this general forum about my experiences - take one on the chin so to speak. My desire to do something bigger and better (or smaller even) may well come before the end of this turbos life, but who knows.

I didnt think my attitude was aggressive? I have never used turbofit up until this week, so can hardy be accused of 'trader kissing'. I use my own judgement on who i go to. Furry muff, people have bad experiences, and people have good experiences. The only reason i got tetchy with that post was the way in which it was approached. :search:

I've been running this turbo / manifold for 18 months , this includes 3 track sessions, 2 at Silverstone and 1 at Brunters....

when the turbo gives up eventually ( as I believe all turbos will) it will be replaced by either the same or a different one depending on funds / best deal available.....

I've been running this turbo / manifold for 18 months , this includes 3 track sessions, 2 at Silverstone and 1 at Brunters....

when the turbo gives up eventually ( as I believe all turbos will) it will be replaced by either the same or a different one depending on funds / best deal available.....

Ah - at least some 'quantifiable' info...

As these turbos and the parts are almost 'disposable' makes sense to think that way...

Cheers m8

I take it this is the car you got of cj?

that kit has been on the car for well over a year and i was under the impresson it was poorley set up?

so you say the turbo has given up... still done better than a lot of threads ive read where turbos have given up in a couple of k.

didnt chris webleys boostlogic turbo only last 2k and i also read michel lane saying his pression t71 only lasting 1200 miles.

turbos are a consumable part imo.. you take your chances no matter what you buy.

Edit: one other thing graham, turbofit guarantee the kit for 12 months.

i have to say that i agree with this. I used the XSpower manifold and wastegate and have had no issues for 18 months or so. I had heard lots of horror stories about the turbos being masterpower rejects so i gave them a wide berth.

Sam is running 750bhp on a T70??? I dont think so some how. Aren't the T70's a Precision T61 equivalent?

I think all sides should be heard good and bad as that is what this forum is for

Sam is running 750bhp on a T70???

Hi all

Just to quantify Bobs statement I am hoping to run approx 750bhp as of this time I am still being mapped and modded, the last quantifiable figure I had was 500bhp at the rear at 1.2 bar, awaiting figures for 1.4 bar run 1.6 bar run and 1.8bar run and if everything holds together and the Turbo can stand it ( I want to see what it will hold as a maximum) I will be taking at far as I can, why? because I want to just for the sheer hell of it.

This statement is by me as a member not as a trader as I am the non techie around here with the brain power of a pea and I only understand as much as a worm. :D

Sam is running 750bhp on a T70???

Hi all

Just to quantify Bobs statement I am hoping to run approx 750bhp as of this time I am still being mapped and modded, the last quantifiable figure I had was 500bhp at the rear at 1.2 bar, awaiting figures for 1.4 bar run 1.6 bar run and 1.8bar run and if everything holds together and the Turbo can stand it ( I want to see what it will hold as a maximum) I will be taking at far as I can, why? because I want to just for the sheer hell of it.

This statement is by me as a member not as a trader as I am the non techie around here with the brain power of a pea and I only understand as much as a worm. :D

What are the specs of the T70 Sam? Are they are T61 equivalent?