The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Joint SXOC / MKIVSupra.net RR Day, Dastek, Dalgety Bay, Fife, Saturday 17th Feb 2007

Geo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=31789&highlight=ava

I had generally poor experience with AVA. Im currently full BPU with RR to limit to about 1.1bar. On real road conditions I only ever reach about 1.1bar MAX.

As described above, they put great load on the rollers, effectively slowing down your tyres to very slow speeds while the gas is on the floor. As a result, lots of pounds of boost is built up and huge strains through the drivetrain. I think mine got up to 21psi before being shut off straight away with detonation sound reported.

As Brian describes, most folk at our level dont have the electronics to limit how high the boost creeps. The load put on the cars is far greater than the car will ever see on the road. ie 5 passengers, going up a vertical road. They also dont measure AFR or torque.

On the other hand, i did have pleasant experience with dastek. They use a more real-life model on the their rollers and I peaked at only 1 bar, running slightly rich and got 378 lb/ft. They were also much more generally helpful and keen to explain every aspect. Whereas, when I went to AVA, on my own, I didnt feel all that comfortable with them.

Dastek UK Ltd

Dastek House

16 Ridgeway

Hillend Business Park

Dalgety Bay

Fife

KY11 9JN

Tel: 0845 345 4045

Fax: 0845 345 4035

Hi Dek,

What you doing over on this forum then? Thinking about a Supra again huh? :D

All well with the car (and you!) since the accident?

Auto owners - I think we can all run OK if you fit a lock up switch. It's pretty easy to do, you just need to find pin 21 (from memory) on the ecu and it's corresponding wire on the loom, then run wire from this to a switch to send it to ground when you press the switch. You can also use a relay but that makes it more complicated to wire up. There are a number of posts on this subject if you do a search on here. What this means is you're locking the torque convertor at a 1:1 rate with the engine and drivetrain and the car now cannot jump down a gear until you turn the switch off again.

Oh and more on dastek at http://www.dastek.co.uk/

Cheers,

Brian.

Deffo out if it is Dastek anyway since they don't do autos but still turn up for the viewing.

Someone i know at work had issues with Dastek and an MR2 Turbo though, weeks of delays with the thing and poor running but i guess every place has a bad story to tell. Rolling road shouldn't cause issues though!

m.

Someone i know at work had issues with Dastek and an MR2 Turbo though, weeks of delays with the thing and poor running but i guess every place has a bad story to tell. Rolling road shouldn't cause issues though!

m.

yeah, i don't think we'll see any poor running or delays coming from a rr power run lol :D

as you say, there's stories come from everywhere. i've never heard a bad thing said about the rolling road at Dastek though.

power runs seem to come in at £40 + VAT, will maybe give them a ring later and see what they can do ;)

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a white MR2 T (Im sure youll know it Dek) that gained the highest ever power from a unichip. Thing was like a rocket ship on the motorway.

precisely. i think the methods used by Dastek are certainly more sympathetic to the cars and give more of an accurate indication.

i'll start the list again below:

01. Supra-Man (just watching i'm afraid)

02. Geo.

03. AlanM (depending on date)

04. martin_a (no preference on date as would just be observer)

05. tdR (power run if possible)

i've removed jamesmark as i doubt he'd make the journey just for a meet, although he may prove me wrong and turn up anyway.

feel free to add yourself if you're okay with Dastek, Getrag.

Yeah, i'll probably pop along and watch. Had a power run with them not long ago and with no mods done there is no point. Be good to watch though.

Have we decided on a date?

looks like it's going to be the 2nd Dec mate (if Dastek can do it then). i put a poll up in Supra Chat but it looks like only about half a dozen have voted on it with the 2nd being the most popular.

Problem is they'll (and most RR places) want around 20 confirmed runners for the day to go ahead. We could get members from other clubs along too - SXOC are always a good bet :)

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian was spot on with this remark. Spoke to Paul, the sales manager at Dastek today who said he'd be more than happy to host a rolling road day for us but we'd need 20 cars running, minimum.

He also said that we'd have to wait until next year to do it, one person collect the cash and pay in full a week before.

Runs would be £30 for two runs back to back.

We interested in this then?

ps

Brian, he's very interested in being able to run Auto Supras on his rollers as until now he's not been able to. He's suggested possibly trying someones car on his rollers to see if it works or not and if it does then to copy the method of locking the gears onto other autos that want to have a go. Reckon the sxoc would be up for it then?

Hi Dek,

What you doing over on this forum then? Thinking about a Supra again huh? :D

All well with the car (and you!) since the accident?

You've found me out then :D yeah im thinkin about going for a supra again, been driving my mate gav's a few times and really liking it, about 60/40 going for one or just keep with the 200 and take it to the next stage :rolleyes:

Yeah everythings fine with me after the accident, been to the doc's a few times about my back/neck, but the cars still at the bodyshop! been in there for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks now :eyebrows:

Brian was spot on with this remark. Spoke to Paul, the sales manager at Dastek today who said he'd be more than happy to host a rolling road day for us but we'd need 20 cars running, minimum.

He also said that we'd have to wait until next year to do it, one person collect the cash and pay in full a week before.

Runs would be £30 for two runs back to back.

We interested in this then?

ps

Brian, he's very interested in being able to run Auto Supras on his rollers as until now he's not been able to. He's suggested possibly trying someones car on his rollers to see if it works or not and if it does then to copy the method of locking the gears onto other autos that want to have a go. Reckon the sxoc would be up for it then?

I'm definitely interested but think paying up front is a load of rubbish. This has never been the case before when I've attended RR days at Dastek - always gather the money and pay on the day. Gerry is the owner so perhaps worth speaking to him directly and mention it's the mkiv Supra owners club also with sx owners club in attendance (who've had a few RR days there). We will more than likely manage 20 people but will only pay on the day.

I've got no probs with them trying my auto with lock up switch.

Dek - you gonna run at this RR day? What about Gav?

Cheers,

Brian.

I'm definitely interested but think paying up front is a load of rubbish. This has never been the case before when I've attended RR days at Dastek - always gather the money and pay on the day. Gerry is the owner so perhaps worth speaking to him directly and mention it's the mkiv Supra owners club also with sx owners club in attendance (who've had a few RR days there). We will more than likely manage 20 people but will only pay on the day.

I've got no probs with them trying my auto with lock up switch.

Dek - you gonna run at this RR day? What about Gav?

Cheers,

Brian.

apparently the 'pay up front' a week before is basically due to them having numbers of 25 or so and then the day comes and half a dozen turn up.

he made out like it was for our benefit so we'd have a better day and the people committed to it would turn up.

i'm calling BS and reckon it could well be worth speaking to Gerry.

said i'd put the feelers out and see what interest there was in it and get back to him.

so...list of those interested guys?

you want to contact them directly Brian? i think he was keen to get you down there beforehand to see how the auto runs on the rollers with the lockup switch.

Historically sxoc have been very good in terms of attendance numbers, and a few of our members have been to those days. I think there should be an element of trust between Dastek and clubs like these.

I'll drop Gerry an email about trying my auto on the rollers as soon as my car is back on the road from its latest modifications ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

Historically sxoc have been very good in terms of attendance numbers, and a few of our members have been to those days. I think there should be an element of trust between Dastek and clubs like these.

I'll drop Gerry an email about trying my auto on the rollers as soon as my car is back on the road from its latest modifications ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

nice one mate, will look forward to the result. keep us posted :)

can someone post a proposal on the sxoc forum as well? Brian / Dek?