The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Joint SXOC / MKIVSupra.net RR Day, Dastek, Dalgety Bay, Fife, Saturday 17th Feb 2007

Geo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't mean to take the piss or anything, it's just our events mod (or closest one) is Tom who lives in Newcastle so we're probably better off organising anything ourselves i think and then if he wanted to help then he can.

:thumbs:

Its cool mate, didnt think you were taking the piss anyway. Yea i might give them a buzz and see what they can do for us??

• 3 weeks later...

right fellas. looks like Geo's not been online for a couple of days but i'd quite like to get a meet sorted out and i'm sure some of you would like a dyno run so if you're interested, stick your name on a list below.

looks like a power run is basically £25 which would be paid up front and non-refundable looking at the mr2 site linked from the top.

once we've got a list of at least ten either myself or someone else can contact AVA and see when is suitable.

cheers

ian

right fellas. looks like Geo's not been online for a couple of days but i'd quite like to get a meet sorted out and i'm sure some of you would like a dyno run so if you're interested, stick your name on a list below.

looks like a power run is basically £25 which would be paid up front and non-refundable looking at the mr2 site linked from the top.

once we've got a list of at least ten either myself or someone else can contact AVA and see when is suitable.

cheers

ian

Right guys been busy last couple of days. I'll give AVA a phone 2mor, and see what deal they can give us. Just need numbers. So if you wana go stick name down on list ok.

GEO.

Right guys update:

Just off the phone to Colin at AVA Turbo's, he said the day can go ahead we need to sort a date out. what date suits??

DEPOSIT OF £60 IS NEEDED. I CAN PAY THIS JUST NEED MONEY BACK OFF YOU GUYS LATER.

1, Cost £30

2, Customer get to sit in car while it goes on road, Colin will then show you via a laptop, what he's doing.

3, They do Auto's.

4, Road goes up to 750bhp at the fly.

5, Colin will go through all the Rev range with you, from low boost to your max??

6, Fuel Mix gets looked at.

7, Huge fan for cooling.

8, You will get a torque and bhp graph if you want it??

9, Session last for about 20mins per car.

10, If you have any probs with car they Colin will point it out to you.

First car has to be on the road for 9am, all other cars must be there for the same time. NO MUCKING ABOUT!! 9AM START.

SO WHO IS UP FOR THIS?? NEED NUMBERS(ADD NAME TO LIST) AND A DATE THAT YOU GUYS LIKE??

Geo - would that have been Colin Gibson at AVA?

TBH I'm not a fan of AVA's method of RR'ing cars as it doesn't accurately reflect normal day to day boost level because of the way they really load the car up with the braking force of the rollers. This can show det but you would expect that when your J spec turbo's are doing 1.4bar boost (!!!), are well out of their efficiency range and in danger of exiting out the exhaust.

Getrag has personal experience of this.

There isn't any others that do auto's in Central Scotland though, as far as I know.

Geo - would that have been Colin Gibson at AVA?

TBH I'm not a fan of AVA's method of RR'ing cars as it doesn't accurately reflect normal day to day boost level because of the way they really load the car up with the braking force of the rollers. This can show det but you would expect that when your J spec turbo's are doing 1.4bar boost (!!!), are well out of their efficiency range and in danger of exiting out the exhaust.

Getrag has personal experience of this.

There isn't any others that do auto's in Central Scotland though, as far as I know.

not interested then :D

so is this one to steer clear of completely then or are you just not partial yourself?

I'm not sure guys. As I've got an auto I'd like to go but the above makes me nervous. I think for the majority of us j-spec owners with just restrictor rings limiting boost in normal conditions rather than effectively controlling it means there's an inherent danger with this kind of rolling road because we have no way of lowering boost on the day.

I know other clubs such as SXOC have enjoyed RR days at AVA but they have turbo's with efficient wastegates and proper boost control....... not the slag of all mods the restrictor ring!

Geo - was it Colin Gibson you spoke with or another Colin?

AVA arent the best....really we dont have anyone thats realy good at RR in scotland.

Could always use Dastek but there are issues here to.

1) They are up north

2) They have a worse reputation than AVA. the chips they produce are just tat.

AVA is probably the best we have but still not brilliant.

Cheers

G

not interested then :D

so is this one to steer clear of completely then or are you just not partial yourself?

I'm not sure guys. As I've got an auto I'd like to go but the above makes me nervous. I think for the majority of us j-spec owners with just restrictor rings limiting boost in normal conditions rather than effectively controlling it means there's an inherent danger with this kind of rolling road because we have no way of lowering boost on the day.

I know other clubs such as SXOC have enjoyed RR days at AVA but they have turbo's with efficient wastegates and proper boost control....... not the slag of all mods the restrictor ring!

Geo - was it Colin Gibson you spoke with or another Colin?

Never got his second name mate. Why dont you give them a bell and he can put your mind at rest as to what they will be doing. You can mention that your a little nervous about putting your car on it, and see what he says. You can post results and the let everyone know.

Never got his second name mate. Why dont you give them a bell and he can put your mind at rest as to what they will be doing. You can mention that your a little nervous about putting your car on it, and see what he says. You can post results and the let everyone know.

unfortunately i don't think he'll be able to put his mind at rest as he already knows the methods AVA use which is the source of the problem.

what was your experience with them Getrag?

They could never put my mind at rest as I don't use Garages and disagree with some of the established ones like AVA ;)

The reason I ask the name of the guy is Colin Gibson is like AVA's no.1 internet mouthpiece but claims not to work for them. Saying you spoke to Colin intrigued me! He'll probably pop up here at some point.

With that in mind please keep posts on this subject non inflammatory guys, for the sake of the forum.

Cheers,

Brian.

right guys. it's up to you whether you want to go with AVA or not (although i'm guessing it's going to be a 'no' now).

the only alternative would be to have a day at Dastek as although the chips they sell are indeed tat i've heard nothing bad said about the rolling road.

only problem is they only do manuals. i wasn't going to go on the RR anyway so i'm up for this.

what does everyone want then?

(a) RR day at AVA (autos and manuals can run)

(b) RR day at Dastek (manuals only)

© Meet somewhere for some grub then go for a drive