The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Light Conversions for beginners

Pixelfill

I'd like to make this mod but have a button question from people that have done it. I like the mod that puts the warning light up to say the fog lights are on so thats the one I will do.

However what are the options for button location? Is there a button available that can go below the stereo as i have a spare "space" on the left hand side, or do I need the UK version of the right hand panel?

I think you can put the button pretty much where you like to be honest. All the ones I have seen have been on the right hand side panel though so there might be a requirement. You don't need to have the "bulb out" light on, the switch that you use to turn your fog lights on can have an LED. It is a requirement to have notification of some sort though.

Just use something like these:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/photo/e731.jpg http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/photo/734r.jpg

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/rocker.php

You can put it anywhere you like.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Guest kanekane

I don't understand why you would need to modify your tail lights to add rear fog lights, when all you have to do to be visible during fog or the night is to simply turn on your dash/sidemarkers wich already turn on both rear brake light on low intensity and license plate light, so you are really visible from the rear ! Maybe it have something to do with the law ? Also an hint with the Bosch relay, when I work with them I buy matching wiring harness, it's a 5 connector plug and you can stack them to mount them more easily. The harness make it easy to wire everything (also color coded) you can unclip the unused wires and it prevent loose connections when you use spade connectors on each of the relay tabs one by one... http://cgi.ebay.com/5-PACK-20-30-AMP-BOSCH-STYLE-S-RELAY-HARNESS-SPDT-12V-/250734006071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60e94f37

Edited by kanekane (see edit history)

I don't understand why you would need to modify your tail lights to add rear fog lights, when all you have to do to be visible during fog or the night is to simply turn on your dash/sidemarkers wich already turn on both rear brake light on low intensity and license plate light, so you are really visible from the rear ! Maybe it have something to do with the law ? Also an hint with the Bosch relay, when I work with them I buy matching wiring harness, it's a 5 connector plug and you can stack them to mount them more easily. The harness make it easy to wire everything (also color coded) you can unclip the unused wires and it prevent loose connections when you use spade connectors on each of the relay tabs one by one... http://cgi.ebay.com/5-PACK-20-30-AMP-BOSCH-STYLE-S-RELAY-HARNESS-SPDT-12V-/250734006071?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60e94f37

Yes, in the UK it is law to have a foglight :)

Yes, in the UK it is law to have a foglight :)

and not all supra's have side markers. i have Jspec lights and no rear side bumper lights. Ive Supra edged into the bumper using a laser cutter and the rear fogs in the bumper. I want a different rear bumper so this is definitely on my to do list!

and not all supra's have side markers. i have Jspec lights and no rear side bumper lights. Ive Supra edged into the bumper using a laser cutter and the rear fogs in the bumper. I want a different rear bumper so this is definitely on my to do list!

Very true. Also in the US (not sure if Canada is the same) the front corner indicators we have are used as side markers. They are on constantly with the sidelights/headlights rather than just when indicating.

• 4 weeks later...
I did this mod this weekend and it all works fine.

However I dont appear to have a "bulb blown" warning light on the dash, was this a facelift addition or some kind of option?

As far as I know all cars have it. Right most bulb on the left hand side cluster.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Fit the lights to the car, and pass the wires through the bulkheads, reconnect the multiplugs in the boot area.

5) Connect wire 3 to pin 87a of relay 2

Take the second light (with 2 wires):

6a) Connect the G wire to the extension on pin 87a of relay 2

6b) Connect the Gw wire to the piggyback connector on pin 87 of relay 2 as in picture 1

[/quote ]

I have been following this thread and when I connect these wires as stated, the passenger's side rear light works as it should but the drivers side doesn't I end up with two tail light and 2 break lights

I disconnected 1 of the wires and tried it and it worked as it should so I swapped them over and again it worked as it should

But this creates the issue with the light on the dash what could I have done wrong I have checked everything twice and all seems fine

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Never mind I sorted it out I disconnected every thing from the relays and then added them back on and all works as it should now probably shouldn't have done it after a 14 hour shift at work lol

Edited by pete.osborne69 (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
2 hours ago, mc92 said:

Sorry to ask a stupid question but can someone clever explain why the white/black earth wire on one inner light needs to be spliced and earthed? It's already earthed due to being an earth wire.

I'm guessing to introduce a ground for the relay operation. As it'll need a 12v supply to operate.

I might be wrong. It's been a long day and I've only scanned the thread 😁

19 minutes ago, Noz said:

I'm guessing to introduce a ground for the relay operation. As it'll need a 12v supply to operate.

I might be wrong. It's been a long day and I've only scanned the thread 😁

One pin of each relay is already grounded separately if I'm reading the diagram right, it doesn't seem to interact with the ground wire to the bulb at all. I read the instructions as having all three ground wires in the circuit terminating at the bolt in the middle of the boot. Maybe whoever made the diagram intended to use the bulb wire as the relay ground?

I'm not very good at electrical stuff so I like to try and understand how it works as I'm doing it but I don't get it this time 😄 .