The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fog Light Conversions for beginners

Pixelfill

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just as an extra I ended up buying a UK spec right hand side panel, buying an OEM fog light switch and connecting that up.

I was also able to connect a warning light to the right warning cluster which has spare bulbs in it and cut in a fog light indicator. Basically it looks much better than having one of those aftermarket switches hanging around.

You can just see in this picture the switch and the red marker cut into the warning cluster:

• 2 months later...

Failed my MOT yesterday due to one of the reasons being I didn't have a fog light, this thread was a great help, so thanks. :thumbs:

For a minute I thought I would have to make a hole in my newly fitted trial rear bumper to mount a fog light untill I came across this thread. :)

I have one slight question, I have got the fog light working with a switch within the car but now the fog light indicator light on the dash doesn't seem to go off and is constantly on, any ideas as to why? :search:

which "fog light light" won't go out ?

if it's the one on the right in this image

attachment.php?attachmentid=21786&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1131443264

then it's a problem with your resistors.

The symptom for the first light is that you turn your rear fog lights on, then if you press the brake - the first light turns on and won't go out until you turn the ignition off. It is indicating a failed bulb, i.e. a reduction in resistance of the braking circuit.

If it's another light - have you got your front fog lights switched on?

Mike

which "fog light light" won't go out ?

if it's the one on the right in this image

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=21786&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1131443264

then it's a problem with your resistors.

The symptom for the first light is that you turn your rear fog lights on, then if you press the brake - the first light turns on and won't go out until you turn the ignition off. It is indicating a failed bulb, i.e. a reduction in resistance of the braking circuit.

If it's another light - have you got your front fog lights switched on?

Mike

Yep its the one on the right of your image, what would you suggest would be the cure for this? The light comes on after I start the car up and then it doesn't go off. :rolleyes:

Again thanks for your help , much appreciated. :)

Yep its the one on the right of your image, what would you suggest would be the cure for this? The light comes on after I start the car up and then it doesn't go off. :rolleyes:

Again thanks for your help , much appreciated. :)

Does the light come on with the ignition and stay on, or only after you have done something (pressed the brakes)?

Make sure the fog lights are off, then 1st thing to check is that you haven't got a blown bulb :D If the light comes on when the fog light isn't switched on, that would be my guess.

If all 4 tail lights are on with the sidelights, try brake lights, then reverse lights, then indicators (get someone to check for you).

If all the bulbs are working, and the fog light is off, then it's either a fault with the fog relay wiring, or with the bulb fail ECU. but try the bulbs first and we'll take it from there.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Bit of a bump seeming as im about to tackle this today..

Ive noticed a couple of flaws, dont know if it will matter BUT in post 4 (the one with the lock) if you look on the 1st picture, on the top RIGHT HAND corner you can see the light clearly marked L which indicates the one without the lock and then in post 5, again the 1st picture, just below the circled part of the bulb (not the zoomed in bit) you can see the light clearly marked R which is the one with the lock. I dont know if was a mix up or if it matters which way you do it but im gonna stick with what i see.

Sorry for being so anal just thought id point it out :D

Bit of a bump seeming as im about to tackle this today..

Ive noticed a couple of flaws, dont know if it will matter BUT in post 4 (the one with the lock) if you look on the 1st picture, on the top RIGHT HAND corner you can see the light clearly marked L which indicates the one without the lock and then in post 5, again the 1st picture, just below the circled part of the bulb (not the zoomed in bit) you can see the light clearly marked R which is the one with the lock. I dont know if was a mix up or if it matters which way you do it but im gonna stick with what i see.

Sorry for being so anal just thought id point it out :D

I don't think it matters Martin :D

Mike

Ok I've hit a brick wall on this one.... All the wiring is done and the results are I've got 3 tail lights both drivers side, and 1 on the passenger (its not a blown bulb). All brake lights work but the one fog which works on the switch is the passenger side ONLY but its dim... I'm confused... HELP :D

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

This looks like an excellent guide. I've bought all the bits that I will need and have to get it done soon because my M.O.T is next month. Assuming that all goes well with the electrical side of things, could someone tell me how easy it is to remove the necessary bits of trim in order to hide the wiring that will run from the boot to the dash?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd like to make this mod but have a button question from people that have done it. I like the mod that puts the warning light up to say the fog lights are on so thats the one I will do.

However what are the options for button location? Is there a button available that can go below the stereo as i have a spare "space" on the left hand side, or do I need the UK version of the right hand panel?