The mkiv Supra Owners Club

what the hell is happening to the prices of our cars

gaz1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cars are continously getting older, what do you guys expect?

Their fuel consumption isn't getting much better in the meantime, and the target market (young people) find it prohibitively expensive to insure and run the cars - despite them appearing to be 'cheap' at first glance.

N/A supras aren't going to keep much value anyway, the supra was never meant to be so underpowered. This is a weird version targeted at the Japanese market for whatever tax/insurance purposes they have over there.

Outwardly the N/A and TT cars look the same on the whole and thats what the general public seems to think. It kind of irritates me that there is some guy who I have seen around Henley with a Supra, which is obviously N/A and yet mine which is more of a 'sleeper' type TT got 'dissed' for not rolling on 22" Gianelli rims! Thank god that this club of people knows the and appreciates the cars and that their prices can vary 6-fold from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Personally I didnt want to sell mine as I think its a very nice example, but you can wait a long time for someone to come along who appreciates it and will pay the price that you think it is worth.... SO you end up compromising, and then setting a precedent for lower prices, as lets fact it, no one really wants to sell their car in this club, they want to keep it ad-infinitum - its always some financial problem that sees people needing money in a hurry and then letting the car go cheap to get a quick sale.

my 2p worth

p.s. I hope jake gets skint soon and offers me his RSP PHR single for 15 grand ;)

LOL you guys all make me laugh. There's all this continuous discussion about the price of our cars being cheap but if you don't sell them for cheap money then they won't be bought for cheap money. Simple.

I don't see it necessarily being a function of age either. Look at how a 911 holds it's price.

N/A supras aren't going to keep much value anyway, the supra was never meant to be so underpowered. This is a weird version targeted at the Japanese market for whatever tax/insurance purposes they have over there.

With the MR2's we only got the weird version for our strange tax/insurance laws. Toyota made a chassis capable of taking the 220bhp and then supplied us with a version that was never meant to be so underpowered.:rolleyes:

Truely some muppets out there, pay 7K for a NA... PMSL

I think Toyota should issue a recall to them all, so they go back to the factory and fit the turbos they forgot first time round;)

PS

Ah, I've missed the friendly banter of days gone by.

UKSpec vs JSpec, n/a vs TT, single vs hybrid etc:eyebrows:

Kept us busy and entertained, didn't it:d

I think Toyota should issue a recall to them all, so they go back to the factory and fit the turbos they forgot first time round;)

PS

Ah, I've missed the friendly banter of days gone by.

UKSpec vs JSpec, n/a vs TT, single vs hybrid etc:eyebrows:

Kept us busy and entertained, didn't it:d

lol, the fun old days, i agree :D

don't forget:

is the Red Supra, really red or pink in disguise.

silver being the faster colour :D

well what turned out to be a NA-T in fact,

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&sort=5&currency=GBP&make=Toyota&model=Supra&min_pr=&max_pr=&county_list=1_2_8_9_17_27&x=36&y=7&id=200635181699671

this one wasn`t so far away so phoned tonight, it was already sold:rolleyes:

NA-T for £10.5k, giving me ideas :cool: :Pling: Just kidding :D

That looks similar to the first one turbofit did that came from ireland and I heard from them the owner had sold it. Maybe it was that one? Heres the link to the pics for that anyway: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=57848

Gaz

blar blar.....

If a 0-60 time in 6 and a bit seconds is under powered.... :rolleyes:

At least our cars are reliable....

And the American market. So it was only Europe that didn't get them in fact.

Fact is you can go out today and spend £20-25,000 on a new sports car that isn't noticably faster than an NA (and doesn't look half as good either).

At the end of the day ask yourself how many minutes during a typical year you spend accelerating faster or driving faster than an NA can? (going WOT thru the gears / 150mph+). Hmmm, not many I suspect?

:looney:

Also importing sheds. This isn't a Supra issue it is the same across all Jap car forums.

I like the NA but yes a tad underpowered - not in the wet though!

What i do think is interesting is that people still see the NA Supra as a fast car, which compared to many today it is. Performance now seems to be a 0-60 time of around 7.5/8 seconds.

Weirdly though the FTO GPX i had before had a similar 0 - 60 time as the NA Supra at 6.7 seconds, chavs call them the FT O so slow thanks to Max Power's "looks like a porsche goes like a mondeo" write up so the Supra is still held in high regard which has to be a good thing.

m.

The other thing is that if all the Chavs do buy them then there will end up being lots of spares in scrap yards at least so that could be a good thing for getting hold of parts.

Love the way you turn a negative into a postive..

well done. :D

My Honda was a brilliant machine, 2.2 Vtec NA engine rev'd upto 9K.....a corker of an engine- not to mention that it sounded amazing, handled well. - However, The Supra TT is in a different league, and a BPU is ULTRA COOL :D -

The NA lets the side down, doesn't carry of the supra badge :rlol:

Is that banter good enough for you John ;)

The price thing is shocking. I bought my Supra TT J-spec in black with 50,000 miles on a 2nd engine in July 2006, so about 5 weeks ago for £8k. I reckon it'll only be worth about £7k now and I've just paid £1k for a full service, all new brakes, disks and battery and another £600 to get the car mopped and polished all round making the paiuntwork pristine.

Then again, it's BPU with a load of other spec, road angel, full Toyota SatNav, new envy hyrid turbos, Bluetooth, TubTimer, BC etc.

Who knows, maybe I'll make my money back when I sell it in 50 odd years! ;)