The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standard 0-60 times

Guest DODS

I remember somewhere that some independant test listed the manual 6 speed as achieving a 4.6s 0-60 (of course driver and conditions permitting).

I wonder has anyone tried the manual with Launch control and sticky back tyres, I'd imagine an agressive launch could be very quick indeed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this can all very.

the bottom line is, there isnt a real difference in the supra between the auto and the manual. nothing that you would notice really on the road. i have a standard auto supra tt and its mentally quick. Because its an auto, its incredibly smooth too. For me, i prefer it to the manual now because its such a good auto box. The manual too is great, and i would have a manual every time in another car, as there arent many auto boxes as good as the soops.

:yawn:

Never come across a manual supra owner saying that they really wished they'd have gone for an Auto instead.

Fairly obvious why, dont you think :D

Is it 'cos so many manual Supra owners are full of it and kidding themselves that pressing a clutch pedal makes them a better driver than the equivilent auto Supra owner?

Pressing the clutch pedal and shifting at the right times is hardly difficult, is it? I know that some manual drivers like to put auto drivers down but it's just showing their ignorance really.

I own all three models of TT Supra (Manual, Auto, Tiptronic) but would be quite happy with just an Auto.

Is it 'cos so many manual Supra owners are full of it and kidding themselves that pressing a clutch pedal makes them a better driver than the equivilent auto Supra owner?

Pressing the clutch pedal and shifting at the right times is hardly difficult, is it? I know that some manual drivers like to put auto drivers down but it's just showing their ignorance really.

I own all three models of TT Supra (Manual, Auto, Tiptronic) but would be quite happy with just an Auto.

I was thinking that myself.

Never come across a manual supra owner saying that they really wished they'd have gone for an Auto instead.

Fairly obvious why, dont you think :D

that's so true actually, I've never come across it either so it must be rare, but I've seen many threads asking about auto to manual conversion etc.

Sure auto supras are much more common thus us minority manual drivers are generally totally out numbered when it comes to arguing the case

but at the end of the day, yes it is a big deal to change gear, it's part of the overall driving experience and another skill to aquire - for ME, if it doesn't bother YOU then good for you :)

I personally derive less pleasure from only having to steer and brake, and I wouldn't trade 6 gears for the best 4 speed auto in the world.

but each to their own, the most important thing is that the auto drivers / fans don't get so over defensive / protective about it.

if you like auto then enjoy it, but don't get all upset if some of us prefer a manual and wouldn't go near an auto with a barge pole. I'm just glad they made both types otherwise I probably wouldn't own one (sorry to say), although I might consider a tiptronic if there were no other options

Sure auto supras are much more common thus us minority manual drivers are generally totally out numbered when it comes to arguing the case

Chilli, there is no case to argue, they are the deluded ones.

Who cares about how fast one can get from 0-60sec.......its a sports car for Gods sakes, youve got to be involved in driving it.

I'm also one who just couldn't live with an auto. Everyone has their own opinion on this, and everyone should respect each person's choices. But for me, the Supra is a car to be in full control over and you just simply can not do that if you are not in full control of your gears.

If the Supra was only available in auto version I wouldn't own one for sure. But then everyone has their ways of driving, some like to cruise, some like to drag and others like to race or track their cars etc. The different boxes have their advantages and disadvantages, although for me the advantages of the 6-speed way exceed the advantages of the Auto.

To me it seems the 6spd contingent are getting over-defensive :p

Having been in Soop Dogg's hybrided-up auto, and experienced his powerbrake launches, I'm envious of it's capabilities. He's also in full control of it because he uses the stick to limit the 'box gear choice when in roundabouts and corners etc.

All this talk of "but I like to *drive* the car" is so old fashioned, I thought it stopped in 2001 :shrug: I suppose it's a valid argument if you go 10/10ths everywhere on the public road all the time, and an auto would simply hold you back from getting to Tescos within your 9m49.345s benchmark. May as well take out the ABS and heavens, don't mention traction control, you may as well wear a skirt.

I don't like autos due to the lag I perceive between doing something with the throttle and the car actually moving. But that's my personal preference rather than a macho issue :)

-Ian

To me it seems the 6spd contingent are getting over-defensive :p

Having been in Soop Dogg's hybrided-up auto, and experienced his powerbrake launches, I'm envious of it's capabilities. He's also in full control of it because he uses the stick to limit the 'box gear choice when in roundabouts and corners etc.

All this talk of "but I like to *drive* the car" is so old fashioned, I thought it stopped in 2001 :shrug: I suppose it's a valid argument if you go 10/10ths everywhere on the public road all the time, and an auto would simply hold you back from getting to Tescos within your 9m49.345s benchmark. May as well take out the ABS and heavens, don't mention traction control, you may as well wear a skirt.

I don't like autos due to the lag I perceive between doing something with the throttle and the car actually moving. But that's my personal preference rather than a macho issue :)

-Ian

Well its seems like you have a genuine arguement as youve at least driven one and for more than five mins (or a test drive when buying).

I'm happy with my auto, after only owning it for 4 months or so, but don't get me wrong I'd happily swap for a manual...........or would I?

There's a number of different benefits to each model. Yes, with a manual you get the full driving experience, the roar of the engine when you want it, and it's easier to control the power delivery for sure.

However, with an Auto, you get very smooth gear changes every time, better motorway driving or slow moving traffic driving!, and I like the ease of use when turning as it's a simple turn and brake application. I like to believe I had good clutch control too, but hill stops etc are so much easier in an auto.

That all said, nobody should be moaning about either or wishing they had the other. In all sense, they should of chosen their preference when they bought it.

For me, I'm just happy owning a beautiful, quick and *reliable* car.;)

Greg

hehe well it was early when I typed that but I stand by what I said even if it was a bit strong.

each to their own. Having a manual does make you a better driver (at driving a manual of course) - it must do because the auto guys always tell us how auto is much better because in a manual the driver always messes up - well 'practice makes perfect' and that is a skill worth having imho.

I agree with IanC though, it is the detatched kinda laggy feel of being conected through a torque converter that I don't like. I don't like the way they handle because of it and I don't like the lack of engine braking, I also like having more gears and an imensly strong gearbox (yes I actually love it's clunkyness too!).

That is just my opinion though. I guess I am a bit oldschool when I think a super car should be at least be a little exclusive to be able to run and drive, even if not to own these days. Therefore a clunky manual box and having to learn how to get the best out of it is a challenge right up my street. After all we don't want any tom dick and harry and old granies poping to the shops in them do we?

but this thread was not another about auto vs. manual (sorry if I turned it into one) :) so back to the original thread purpose and sorry for any hijacking

lol I agree it could seem like that but don't confuse defensiveness with passion for something

I initially reacted badly to what Jake wrote but on reading it again it seems less offensive that it did (although he shouldn't generalise about what all manual drivers 'think').

anyway I'll shut up now :)

However, with an Auto, you get very smooth gear changes every time, better motorway driving or slow moving traffic driving!, and I like the ease of use when turning as it's a simple turn and brake application. I like to believe I had good clutch control too, but hill stops etc are so much easier in an auto.

The only reason I'd go for an Auto Supra is if the Auto's came with a Supra badged pair of slippers :D

But even then they wouldnt be exclusive enough cause the ratio of Auto / Manual is 30/1

How did we get onto an auto/manual debate?

(BTW the manual is better).

I've always said 0-60 is something to be ignored in the Supra, it gives completely the wrong impression of the performance of the car (ie: suggests it's 'only' a 5 second 0-60).

I will say it again forget 0-60, its about 50-70 we should be talking about

I had to laugh when a security guard at work took one look at my Supra and confidently stated that he "couldn't live with an auto" because he "liked to feel like he was driving the car" When questioned it turns out that the sportiest car he's ever driven was his 1.6 VW Golf :rolleyes: I was very tempted to ask him if he was gutted at missing out on another F1 title before retiring.

And back on topic :D I accurately measured my 0-60 at 5.2 with a stopwatch and an uncalibrated speedo. :p