The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RACELOGIC TC

Phil Wall

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ash are you there????

I presume you will be fitting the stock TC butterfly removal kit to Justins car.

What are your views on the impact of this modification to the auto box.

Particularly Richard's point about full engine power to the box at all times, particularly during shifts.

As I understand it, the removal kit is simply a plate that covers the hole left when you remove the pre-throttle actuator motor. Justin will be round in about an hour, so I assume he'll bring the kit with him. After which I'll be in a better position to give a more thorough rundown of what's what.

I was not aware of any impact on the gearbox in fitting this mod. As far as I know, the engine power is reduced during shifts by retarding the timing for an instant.

Yours,

J  

So, to summarise:

You can remove the butterfly which will stop it doing silly things with the air flow.

You can leave the rest of the electronics in situ, giving you the choice of smooth or jerky gear changes.

Does the TRAC do anything else with the Engine Management Unit when it kicks in?

(Edited by Paul Booth at 12:23 pm on Aug. 17, 2001)

The stock trac. removal kit contains two round ally plugs and a couple of "O" rings that seal the throttle body after taking out the pre-throttle butterfly. So the actuator and the sensor, either side of the butterfly valve, remain. The flap and the spindle are removed.  

It appears all the electronics side is left in place. So I guess the system will still detect wheelspin, and the dash light will still come on, but it will not be able to do anything about it, ultimately.

I don't know how it will work on the UK spec, though. Didn't I hear someone say the UK car also applies the brakes to a spinning wheel?

Yours,

J

Yes apparently UK-specs brake a wheel when the wheelspin gets over a certain level.    nobody has ever definitivley been able to prove it does this though.

i've got a UK-spec and once (before i pulled the trac fuse out) i had a bit of a traffic-light GRand Prix in the wet.  well the Traction control was switched on but i got MASSIVE wheelspin anyway.    whether or not the rear wheels were being braked anyway, i don't know but it sure didn't feel like it.

I'd be interested to know from anyone who has fitted (or will fit) this trac. removal kit, if it does seem to give more power due to removal of the butterfly etc.  

"It's in the post" although I'm not sure I'm going to be the best judge.

I think the best option will be if I get it dyno'd at Powerstation before I fit it, then again afterwards; in fact I might just fit it there and then.

I'll see when it arrives and what PS's costs for that are.

BTW: apparently HKS recommend cutting the wire to the bulb (spit!). Take the bulb out.

(Edited by Paul Booth at 3:45 pm on Aug. 17, 2001)

Hi...

If you have a look at the scanned MKIV manuals at WWW.MKIV.COM there is a TRAC/brake circuit diagram which to the untrained eye (me) looks like the two systems are linked. Going back to a post on the US list last week the TRAC system has a it's own pump and fluid integrated attached to the ABS sensors which there is now instructions on how to remove.

Quote: from Ash on 1:59 pm on Aug. 17, 2001[br]

Paul..............

Justin says for info, as JB seems not to be around, then please email [email protected] with any questions you may have.

Yes, it's the same account details.

Yours,

J

Just for additional info, if anybody has queries then please mail [email protected] which is copied to both Justin and myself, that way if I happen to go out for the afternoon you can still get a reply from Justin!!

JB

Quote: from GavinL on 10:00 pm on Aug. 17, 2001[br]Hi Flavio...

The UK and US spec cars are broadly the same but the Jap spec cars are different.

regards

Does that mean I am right or should I still remove the butterfly (I have a Euro spec MKIV).

Flavio

Tried the laptop with RL today.

Had one or two problems with connection.

Won't bore you with detail.

Monitored the car over a ten minute run and got some good traces that showed everything was working as it should.:biggrin:

Decided to play with settings

Big problem.

With the software loaded the and the link connected, when entering data every key stroke gave a double entry.

Knackered the cylinder setting for half an  hour, the car just would not go as the system registered 89352 cylinders.  WTF was going on. :o

The car ran like shit.:( :( :( :(

Fixed the cylinder setting back to 6 so the car runs OK.

Still have the doubled entry from every key stroke. If I unplug the RL connection it cures the problem.

But you can’t plug the unit back in to take the correct setting numbers as the system is automatically reset on reconnection.

Can anyone help!

I can't go any further with experiments until this problem is solved.:angry:

I have reloaded the software and checked all connections etc.

I was not aware of any impact on the gearbox in fitting this mod. As far as I know, the engine power is reduced during shifts by retarding the timing for an instant.

I'm pretty sure it's why the guys in the US take the TRAC fuse out when they go drag racing. But I haven't seen an tech documents on it. Maybe it's worth someone checking it out with a multimeter to see if a singal is sent during shifts. Also it may only be on US spec cars and not on UK or Jap?

Supragirl you are an angel.:cool:

The software works OK now.

I have another problem.

One laptop works fine with the software.

Another just won't recognise that the RS232 plug coming from the RL unit when it is plugged in.

Problem is this is  the machine I would prefer to use in the car.

The one that work belongs to my wife.:(

Any of you IT wizards out there have any ideas other than  swapping laptops which is not an option?

Playing with RL through the laptop has had to stop as my wife is writing on it.:sad:

Just noticed something before I pack up up

Minimum RPM for the system is set to 2000.

On of the checks at installation is to check that engine's cuts as rear wheels reach 14km/h.

With the auto box in D the wheels measured 60km/h

Did not have time to jack it up and reset to say 800 rpm and use first, to see if the 14km/h check works.:sad:

Some please help me with my last post so I can go and play.