The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dual ball bearing turbo

Totally agree Ian. It pisses me off when people post up stuff saying "we've tried x y and z and done all sorts of experiments etc etc" and then totally fail to produce any evidence, usually for some lame reason about not revealing it to their competitors. When I make a decision about what to do with my car I want data to make that decision myself, not to simply do whatever a tuner tells me based on their "experience" and usually without sufficient scientitic or engineering data or reasoning behind it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, can I ask where you sourced this turbo?

Those results look great to me, and I don't care if it does wear faster. After all, OEM parts are designed to 200k miles + . I have not seen anything in any area of aftermarket parts designed/tested to those levels. For us lot it is just not needed/expected.

Finally, a big THANKS for posting this data, everyone says about how they spool 'quicker' but knowing what constitues as 'quicker' has, until now, been left to the mind.

Guest Terry S

Ian let people judge the performance gains by your hard earned unbias data rather than hearsay, and as for longevity, think mine has proved the point as have various HKS DBB turbos that have been around for years.

Agreed, real world feedback and data from someone with no interest in profit is always of interest.

Yep.

Ever since the BB turbos appeared, there has been controversy and some degree of dirt-shoving amongst the interested parties (commercially).

It's nice to have unbiased measurements.:)

Guest Terry S

I'll do the same for the 272in 264ex cam setup hopefully :)

-Ian

It will never work, stuff of nonsense etc etc :eow: :drama: :blah: :blah: ;)

be good to see the results, very interested in this

I'll do the same for the 272in 264ex cam setup hopefully :)

-Ian

Looks like you might beat me to this, I am still waiting for my cams plus need to order some cam gears :)

When you planning on doing this?

• 3 months later...

Pardon the animosity Jarrett, but I'm sure you can understand how annoying this is to me. I was going to link to the results on Supraforums but now I think it'll be more trouble than it's worth if people are just going to say "blah, who sells blah turbos, says it's bull therefore it is". What further evidence can I show ffs? It's better than just saying "there is no difference" or "it spools up faster" surely...?

-Ian

Ian, I was not trying to start any animosity between any US trader such as myself and ANYONE on this forum. I simply posed a question and was trying to make a point about OEM turbo makers and aftermarket ones. Never ONCE did I accuse you of lying or say that your data is "bullshit". Let me get some things straight here, since it seems a few folks have the wrong idea about my previous post.

I sell BOTH versions of our single turbo kits, DBB AND Standard Bearing. I sell the DBB version for $700 more on average. Some folks have insinuated that I was trying to push what I had in stock or on the shelf at the time. Unlike most run-of-the-mill UK and US tuner shops, we carry on average about $500,000 to $1 Million in inventory at a given time. I currently have DBB and Standard Bearing versions of our Stage 1 and 2+ turbos ON THE SHELF. I'll be happy to spend someone's $700 if they truly want me to. However, over here in the US, we dont drive our single turbo Supra's around the street at 2000 RPM, nor do we floor it at 2500 RPM unless we are racing a tortise.

I NEVER said that DBB turbos make NO difference. I've always said that the difference was almost un-noticeable for (KEY WORD HERE) *most* people. And thats EXACTLY what I tell people who call me to inquire on the DBB turbos. On your very own chart, which I studied with great interest, the most difference in RPM I was able to notice at a given PSI was about 250 RPM. At a given RPM point, the difference in boost was about 1 PSI. But thats in the 2500-3500 RPM range. When we are wanting to be on boost fast, I downshift to 4500 RPM and have boost instantly, without a DBB turbo. I do believe your results are wonderful, and I for one appreciate your doing the back to back testing. It just proves exactly what I've been saying all along, that for MOST people, the difference is almost NIL. You probably do feel the difference, having driven and tested both back to back. But most folks wont get that chance. Now do you see what I mean?

Is the DBB option worth the extra $700 cost? Thats up to the customer to decide, not me. I give them my honest opinion after hearing what they are trying to do, period. I've been installing standard bearing and DBB turbos on Supras only for 10 years now. I've driven both back to back on 100's of occassions. To me, I personally feel the differences dont warrant the extra cost for *MOST* customers. For some, it maybe perfect for them. Everyone is different and allowed to decide for themselves, I just give my opinions when someone asks. But most customers who call me up drive their Supra's around town and will never have a chance to put a DBB to the test at 2.2 BAR on racing fuel or dyno both DBB and Standard Bearing units back to back. If you talk to the engineers at Garrett aftermarket or ITS as I do, you'll understand that the entire reason DBB turbo's were created was to improve longevity at higher boost and thrust levels. Standard bearing turbos dont hold up nearly as well to high thrust loads created by high boost as do DBB units, you are very correct there. This is the reason that DBB versions of our GT74, 76, and 80mm turbos are standard in Stage 4 and 5 kits. These kits were designed for High HP and/or race car applications running high boost often.

To make claims that I have nothing to back up my statements is garbage. When we dyno test these units back to back, we do so on a $150,000 Superflow Eddie Current Dyno, which can *accurately* simulate real-world load conditions for a 3500# car. Doing back to back testing, we can replicate and hold 10% Throttle Position or 100% Throttle Position to get an idea of real-world driving conditions around town. We found similar results to yours in the speed vs time graph, although our results showed even less gains than yours did. However, we were testing identical versions of our PHR GT67 turbo, one with standard bearing one with DBB, otherwise exact turbos with same A/R and same exhaust trim (P trim). One thing I have also found is the increased heat load caused by a DBB turbo. Maybe you dont have to deal with heating issues in the UK, but here, none of our professional road-racers will consider a DBB turbo. Those were tried about 4 years ago when we introduced them in our kits as options. Now everyone runs standard bearing turbos and the water temps constantly stay 20-30 degrees cooler running around the track. No data to back my statement up? Are you joking?

And it seems a few folks missed the entire point of what I said about "comparing apples to oranges". DBB turbos are NOT manufactured by the same companies that make OEM turbos that do last 200,000 miles. Garrett Aftermarket and Innovative Turbo DO NOT supply ANY OEM manufacturer. These are private label DBB turbos folks, not made by Garrett or KKK for OEM car companies. The reliability of these has been questioned repeatedly for years since they were released and I am just continuing that process. Whenever a turbo comes back for repair or failure, 90% of the time its a DBB unit. In race applications this is to be expected, but for a street driven Supra, its a big headache.

Again, I sell both DBB and standard bearing versions of ALL our turbos. Maybe next time I'll keep my mouth shut and take $700 more of your hard earned monies, but thats not like me. Again, I NEVER said your data was "bullshit" anywhere in my post. I simply posed the question "is it worthwhile to pay $700 more for DBB" that was it. Funny how things get mis-interpreted over the forums.

Thanks,

Given the huge competiton in the single market, it is not suprising to me that traders do not post test data as with out spec the data is useless. Specs and maps will never be posted as the companies would go out of businees when we all bought ripped copies from ebay.

As I see it all companies have a right to protect their R&D info. This is nothing new, hybrid twins area case in point, fabricators of these are very protective of their data for obvious reasons. This has been the case in the UK as long as I can remember.

The issue of this big single is better than that, is purely accademic as each will have their own specs that they are working to. So comparisons will be very simplistic.

I think turbo life span on each side of the pond is a different issue. It seems that everyone has a local drag strip in the US, over here access is some what limited. There are few in the UK and most cars have to travel many miles to get to one. As a result they are crowded with daily shoppers and very few runs are possible so visiits are probably less frequent. I would therefore assume that most UK singles of either type do not get anywhere near the top end abuse that US guys dish out.

As has already been pointed out, metal to metal contact accellerates wear. Non DBB turbos have an advantage there, until the seals no longer hold full oil pressure.

It is good to have on the road data, especially when someone is prepared to make it as objective as is possible on the street.

I just noticed this got resurrected :)

You are welcome to post up your point of view and you have a lot of experience in these areas, I've no problem with that. There are a couple of things I must note though:

"the most difference in RPM I was able to notice at a given PSI was about 250 RPM."

Yup, the DBB never races away much like that, but it's a bit misleading as a performance comparison. The DBB gets on boost faster and the revs outstrip the non-DBB turbo for a bit and then, once both turbos are at the same pressure, the revs climb pretty much the same. However, the roadspeed of the DBB turbo car is higher by this point and still climbing, as shown by the Road Speed vs Time comparison chart. In 3rd gear, the DBB car gets from 30mph to 60mph in the time the non-dbb gets from 30mph to about 53, 54mph. So getting on boost has a noticeable difference.

"At a given RPM point, the difference in boost was about 1 PSI."

Have a look at the 4th gear comparison, and you'll see at 4000rpm the DBB was on 0.8bar (12psi) and the non-DBB was on 0.6bar (9psi) so it's a bit more than just 1psi. The higher up the gears, the bigger the difference becomes.

"But thats in the 2500-3500 RPM range. When we are wanting to be on boost fast, I downshift to 4500 RPM and have boost instantly, without a DBB turbo"

Yep, if I want to get on boost instantly, I change down to get above 4000rpm as well :) But my driving style isn't all or nothing. A lot of the time I just yomp away from roundabouts or junctions between 2500 and 3500rpm, part boost and about half throttle. That's what feels stronger now. I never said it'd give more overall power, or spin up noticeably faster above 4000rpm, but it definitely does improve the area below that. If you never see below 4000rpm, I truly wouldn't recommend a DBB! (maybe a 5 point harness and a speed camera detector though ;) )

With regards to the test data I really meant that you hadn't posted anything up, rather than that you didn't have any. But then if you want to post it up or not is your prerogative. I have no commercial reason not to.

And one last bit:

"Is the DBB option worth the extra $700 cost?" - As far as I'm aware the Boostlogic DBB option is more like $150, which is a small price to pay if you use the midrange a lot.

-Ian

I think we both have good, valid points to make about the DBB turbos. I also think we can debate this over and over again for years!

As to BL, I have no comment. All of the normal, large turbo companies have quite a price discrepancy between standard bearing and ball bearing turbos.

• 4 months later...

I'd just like to add that anyone with a high stall auto setup will gain a lot off the lights. With my old setup I never really saw any positve boost at around 3500 rpms. With the DBB setup I'm getting well into positive boost while using the brake stall.

With the right grip I hope to prove this by lowering my 60ft times a little more~!

• 4 years later...

Just read this after Ian's link from the recent "is DBB worth the cost" thread.. excellent work, mate! It's very hard for the average (yet informed) customer to decide between brands and types of turbo, so the more information at our disposal, the better. Thanks for the research!