The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I am sick of this!

Pig

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look guys, it IS wastegate flutter. This occurs when the pressure that is in the inlet system is almost equal to the Wastegate spring / reload - thus opening and closing the wastegate quickly (air out, turbos still spinning and air back in... and so on). You can get this noise with a BOV but to my knowledge its only a 3 way type such as the HKS SSQV, and then you would need a recirc kit to keep the air balance right. You can do it without but you just need to get it right, and its difficult.

It is NOT compressor stall, although running without a BOV at the boost pressures you guys are talking about is dangerous and can cause a compressor shaft to shatter / sheer.

Hope this helps

No its the noise in the bov video. Not the fluttery noise!

A Question to all that now know the noise i am talking about. How should i describe it?

Could it be that my t61 wont be pushing enough boost to sort it??

Bring on the vid JB

Cheers martin :)

If you mean the noise from CJ's car at the end of the vid I posted, thats not the dump valve, thats the noise from the external wastegate.

Sort of yes, but also teh INduction kit will play a large part in you being able to hear this.

All turbo cars can make this sound, but you can't hear it due to a closed air box system.

Okay, just played this back in slow tempo and amplified the sounds. There seem to be two distinct sounds on lift off.

A very quick 'csh cssh cssssh csssssh' sound (wastegate)

and a louder, longer single 'Tssssssh' sound (dump valve?)

Sort of yes, but also teh INduction kit will play a large part in you being able to hear this.

All turbo cars can make this sound, but you can't hear it due to a closed air box system.

agreed that the induction kit makes it more pronounced

I'm going for turbo stall too, often amplified by the induction kit, but typically caused by not dumping enough pressure quickly enough, when lifting off (closing the throttle) from full / high boost.

if it were wastegate related, surely it would make that noise as you pass the pressure that opens the wastgate, i.e. not just on lift off but on boost and boost rise too.

conversly, the well known tsssshhh is the bov operating normally...

that's my two cents but if someone has the difinitive answer then I'd like to know, it's a cool noise so long as you can be sure it's not harmfull. Like I said my old car ran for years with that noise on tap, I don't think I was just lucky.