Quick vs powerful

Guest lotus49

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eh trust me, u dont want anything going up against this subaru type r man, bit of an animal, quarter mile in 9.83sec and top speed of 215mph. and yes it has all the interior and seats and road tyres, drives to and from events ;) and its got under 600 horsepower

:lol: and you think that's gonna last the 14 miles of the Nurburgring in that state. Up to now, no Scooby has been quicker around there than a Supra. Case closed.

Guest dee_rz

yep i recall the blitz supra 700ishbhp holding the road legal ring record for 2 years before being beaten by a track car radical sr4 turbo it weighs about 700kg with a hyabusa turbo engine in there whereas the supra weighs it's road going 1500 or so kg, agreed with some others comments to, scoob feels quick low down i.e my sisters boyfriend used to have a 263bhp wrx scoob and to me it felt quicker than my 400+bhp supra certainly 1st and second gears but from 0 to a half mile marker i'd beat him by about 20 cars lengths :eyebrows: yes this has nothing to do with the handling but i'd say a mildly tuned supra would surprise a mildly tuned scooby in the corners but i'd say the scoob would have the slight edge but not as much as people seem to think, like someone else said you'd really need to drive one, point to point if you include some good straights i'd favour the supra and looks in my opinion it's not close supra is gorgeous but then some people don't worry but thats cool :)

Guest lotus49
you need to get a ride in one and make your own mind up! is it going to be your everyday car?

i only drive mine in the dry so traction is not a problem, and i still think rltc is a waste of time unless you drive in the rain

i have a trd lsd in mine and i have no problems with traction

You are right of course, but I would like to gather some info before I try one out. There is also the issue that one hour in someone else's car that you really don't want to spank is not quite the same as driving your own car.

My wife is learning to drive and I will have to buy her something sensible (high mileage E class Merc is the current favourite) so I won't need to use my car every day, but I probably will.

I am interested that you say traction isn't an issue in the dry. Can a car putting 600+ BHP through the rear wheels do that in the first three gears without just lighting up the tyres?

They'll most likely spin a bit, won't go nuts and have you bouncing off the rev limiter. In the "in car vid of the Envy Supra" that i posted, the road was bone dry and Kevin wasn't wheel spinning at all. He doesn't have any TC, does have 315s on the rear though

I am interested that you say traction isn't an issue in the dry. Can a car putting 600+ BHP through the rear wheels do that in the first three gears without just lighting up the tyres?

even I have trouble at just bpu levels in 3rd when it's cold through 275/35/18s, but I'm getting rltc deal with that. At more crazy bhp figues I'd have thought it would just be worse. Mine has the stock torsen diff I think, is yours that much better Jamie?

Guest lotus49
this subject has been covered to death on here and elsewhere, here are some pointers:

4wd is not a silver bullet, better traction does not equal better lateral g levels, braking etc so it's just a part of the overall picture, don't get obsessed by it as if it makes up for everything else.

I completely agree, but I wasn't suggesting that the Impreza handled the way it does purely because of the 4WD. It does have fantastic grip and very good brakes as standard and it is also fairly forgiving. I cannot help but notice that more people here seem to have pranged their cars (or nearly done so) than on the IWOC (Impreza Web Owners Club) forum that I also read. I doubt that the Impreza owners are any better drivers (I am sure I'm not) so I would be inclined to assume that the relatively tail-happy nature of the Supra makes it less forgiving (but probably more fun and rewarding).

When you drive a subaru or any 2l turbo car you know full well there are any number of similar cars that will come along and give you a good run for the money, you don't really need feel like that in the supra. Furthermore you need to thrash the 2l cars to within an inch of their life to extract every drop of performance out of them (and reliability suffers), the supra can perform with ease, it rarely needs to be stressed, certainly not thrashed.

I have to say that this hasn't been my experience. The only cars that I have come across that can keep up across my favourite B roads are Evos and 911s. I have also easily kept up with an F355, but I suspect that, like most Ferrari owners, the guy was a poser who couldn't drive. I should point out that I have never diced with a Supra.

I know that I am comparing two very fast cars that can outrun 99.9% of the other cars out there and I am not asking which is better - they are both great cars. Since most of my fast driving is done on B roads with no Police or cameras, I want a car that will be enjoyable to drive in these conditions and since I rarely go over 120 (which is clearly already much too fast on a B road) top speed is not of much concern.

even I have trouble at just bpu levels in 3rd when it's cold through 275/35/18s, but I'm getting rltc deal with that. At more crazy bhp figues I'd have thought it would just be worse. Mine has the stock torsen diff I think, is yours that much better Jamie?

a few lads of the forum have been in mine now and im sure they will vouch for the speed and traction, i can only put it down to the trd lsd, traction really aint an issue for me once in second gear

They'll most likely spin a bit, won't go nuts and have you bouncing off the rev limiter. In the "in car vid of the Envy Supra" that i posted, the road was bone dry and Kevin wasn't wheel spinning at all. He doesn't have any TC, does have 315s on the rear though

ive not seen that vid, do you have a link?:)

Guest lotus49
so basically what flat4 (our resident subaru die hard fan club) is saying is in all other circumstances appart from his back roads, it's bye bye subaru, that's probably about the size of it. So, if you spend your whole life baiting faster cars to a stretch of coutry lane you've got sussed, then don't buy a supra (I'd also question the subaru and evo too though, there are other ways to get around the twisties quickly)...

The thing is, that is about the size of it. I already seem to get stopped every other time I go on a motorway so I don't need to go any faster there ;) so the only place I can really go fast is on B roads. They aren't necessarily roads I know but it's the only place I can have any fun without the attention of the boys in blue.

Can I emphasize that I am NOT trying to start a flame war and I am NOT saying my car is better than yours - I just want people's opinions because I respect that accumulated knowledge of this group.

The thing is, that is about the size of it. I already seem to get stopped every other time I go on a motorway so I don't need to go any faster there ;) so the only place I can really go fast is on B roads. They aren't necessarily roads I know but it's the only place I can have any fun without the attention of the boys in blue.

well in my honest opnion you got the 2 options below;

I want B road driving with a bit of wild drive when driving hard and not nessacarily being fastest car - The supra is for you

I want B road driving as fast as possible being able to pull away from alot of cars on the road and being in control relatively easily - Supra is not for you :)

if you just want to stay on b roads and think you are already the king of it, why are we having this discussion lol, stick with what you know and be happy.

probably are more prangs in the supra, it's less forgiving than 4wd, but that doesn't = slower. Generally most TTs run a lot of power, sub 400 bhp is probably considered slow on here, the danger it goes with the territory to some extent doesn't it?

There are a number of remidies though, good suspension, good tyres, rltc, lsd, getting rid of the sequential turbo power delivery....

Guest dee_rz

i have no monster power'd supra at the moment (400ishbhp) but i for one have no rltc but just good tyres and tein coilovers and it handles like a dream would kill my modded civic type r round any type of track or road, grip levels are huge (not in the wet but not that bad either once you learn the car)

reading your posts fella you seem pretty happy with the scoob and why not.. stick with what you have or maybe try an evo or go for a lairer but nice set up scoob again :)

Iv'e got a single turbo supra and a 200 sx. A couple of days ago I decided to try out my my supra on some good 'B' roads aroubd west Kent. I'd alraady done these roads a few times in the 200 and thought it only right to do the same in my supra!

The result? Supra much quicker all round.,.. but any car coming the other way and any pot holes, big bumps meant I had to drive like an old granny!

All in all I enjoyed driving the the 200 around these narrow roads the most. It was smaller slower and I wasnt so worried about scratching the paintwork on the verges!. Ive also driven a standard 2005 imprezza sti around some 'B 'roads and Thoroughly enjoyed myself. It rolled its way arounds the bends with ease. The thing about the scooby is the visibility and driving position, they are great!. To get the same buzz from the supra requires scary speeds!

The soop goes around corners with ease stops well and 100 leptons is just criusing. But it it's not to be pushed at all in the wet!

If you want to go around the bends tucked into the corners on iffy 'B' road surfaces then stick to compact 4x4 maybe a gt4!

In answer to the original question, I dive and own alot of different types of Supra. I can wipe the floor with pretty much any car in any condition with a 450BHP Small single. I also have nearly 700BHP in another and its not a quick due to lag, getting the power down and actually having to think alot more.

500bhp rules.