The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick vs powerful

Guest lotus49

Speaking from experience.

My wife has a virtually bog standard UK spec Impreza with ~230 bhp. I have a very non-standard Supra ~550 bhp.

The Subaru can and will out gun me around town, purely because it has much shorter gearing, and 4wd. This equates to having traction virtually everywhere. Whereas my car struggles for traction in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. this means I have trouble accelerating hard from anything less than 60mph.

On a long road with reasonable bends, yes, the Supra may have the edge. On a straight road, like a dual carriageway, the Subaru wouldn't stand a chance after about 60.

Big horsepower doesn't necessarily make a quick point-to-point car. ;)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Flat4_ire
Flying on back roads these days when every arsehole owns a car and drives it is asking for big trouble.

The ring is still the best handling test IMO, and yes evo's scoobies, 911etc are a light lunch for a tuned and properly setup Supra in the dry at least.

And for you dreamers, Mk2 golfs stripped out and tuned dont even feature.

Buy what suits your driving style, if you have a fuild steering style go 2wd and if you thow the steering about like a kid in his first Corsa, and think that you ought to hold the throttle on the floor while cornering everytime, stick with 4wd for your own safety.

you've obviously never driven a type r scooby then, they are NOT the big safe "save your ass 4wd buzz" , they have DCCD which allows you to control the power ratio from 50-50 to 64-36 rear to front which is not an easy car to fly around in, takes a lot of skill to drive properly,ive been in a 400bhp one and it would take a serious supra to stay with anywhere, even a motorway!

Flying on back roads these days when every arsehole owns a car and drives it is asking for big trouble.

The ring is still the best handling test IMO, and yes evo's scoobies, 911etc are a light lunch for a tuned and properly setup Supra in the dry at least.

And for you dreamers, Mk2 golfs stripped out and tuned dont even feature.

Buy what suits your driving style, if you have a fuild steering style go 2wd and if you thow the steering about like a kid in his first Corsa, and think that you ought to hold the throttle on the floor while cornering everytime, stick with 4wd for your own safety.

:rlol: that is priceless, "like your first corsa" :rlol: chief lucky I'd just swallowed my drink or I'd have spat it out all over the laptop, must remember that, totally priceless :rlol:

you've obviously never driven a type r scooby then, they are NOT the big safe "save your ass 4wd buzz" , they have DCCD which allows you to control the power ratio from 50-50 to 64-36 rear to front which is not an easy car to fly around in, takes a lot of skill to drive properly,ive been in a 400bhp one and it would take a serious supra to stay with anywhere, even a motorway!

How about a challenge :D Supra Vs Scooby Type R at the 'Ring? :D Quickest time? Think a few would be up for it.

Guest Flat4_ire
what was your bhp at the wheels flat4, come on remind us, we all need a good reminder from time to time ;)

hmm something like 210 at the wheels i think, that sounds pathetic but its 4wd, its diff than 2wd! ask Supra Dupra on the forum here, i brought him for a spin in it and it fucking stuck him to the seat, and hes got a bpu supra, cant be that bad eh? ;) im defending scoobies cos they are great, just getting cheap now for some of them so all the little baseball cap wearing gimps are flying around in them!

Guest Flat4_ire
How about a challenge :D Supra Vs Scooby Type R at the 'Ring? :D Quickest time? Think a few would be up for it.

ok il give Andy a call ok? bring ANY supra u want, it wont stand a chance :tongue:

Guest Flat4_ire
Sounds like a good challange :D

eh trust me, u dont want anything going up against this subaru type r man, bit of an animal, quarter mile in 9.83sec and top speed of 215mph. and yes it has all the interior and seats and road tyres, drives to and from events ;) and its got under 600 horsepower

Guest Flat4_ire
I went from 300bhp 4wd to supra to bpu supra and there is no comparison, it might have 'felt' fast, tbh who cares, lots of cars 'feel' fast anyway.

they are getting cheap, and common too... that doesn't help

well i still love em :tongue:

Guest Flat4_ire

actually Chilli, bit of a good one here for ya, almost forgot..here i am driving to kilkenny about 30 miles south of where i live, nice road just doing 60mph..look in rear view mirror, what do i see only a 2005 Scooby STi, i think "right now lets see!!" he came up behind me not messing but i thought he wanted some, i dropped it one and just took off, he didnt even bother trying to follow which surprised me! anyway it really made me think how fast the supra is but u don realise it for some reason? in the scooby u really feel when ur doing 100mph! for flying around town i think i prefer my scooby, but anything else then i prefer the supra, the overtaking power is greeeat

actually Chilli, bit of a good one here for ya, almost forgot..here i am driving to kilkenny about 30 miles south of where i live, nice road just doing 60mph..look in rear view mirror, what do i see only a 2005 Scooby STi, i think "right now lets see!!" he came up behind me not messing but i thought he wanted some, i dropped it one and just took off, he didnt even bother trying to follow which surprised me! anyway it really made me think how fast the supra is but u don realise it for some reason? in the scooby u really feel when ur doing 100mph! for flying around town i think i prefer my scooby, but anything else then i prefer the supra, the overtaking power is greeeat

Don't get me wrong dude, i love Imprezas. The Supra doesn't feel like you're on the edge at 100mph because it's a GT car.

Guest Flat4_ire
Don't get me wrong dude, i love Imprezas. The Supra doesn't feel like you're on the edge at 100mph because it's a GT car.

man i think i might get another scooby! hehe, or maybe a mental skyline

lol flat4, no doubt you feel the speed in more in some cars, the supra takes it in it's stride which is both good and bad, good when the girlfriend is in the car and you want to make swift progress 'under the radar', bad when you realise you are doing silly speeds and would rather keep your license...

I just get anoyed when people think the supra will fall off the road on the first bend. You have to know how to drive it, it needs respect because it is powerful, it has excellent potential if you spend a bit on a good setup... personally I'd say they handle very well but the set up is more geared to high speed, below about 40 they havn't really got going, but then at low speeds all sorts of tiny litle lightweight cars also have an advantage, it levels the playing field, but only for a very shortlived moment...

My mate (who's on this forum actually) came out in the Supra last January, he was surprised it made it round the corners because it was slippy as it was wet and we were going rather quick :D Remarked it might of been quicker than his car through the corners as it was a local road

p.s. he had a Impreza at the time :D

Guest Flat4_ire
My mate (who's on this forum actually) came out in the Supra last January, he was surprised it made it round the corners because it was slippy as it was wet and we were going rather quick :D Remarked it might of been quicker than his car through the corners as it was a local road

p.s. he had a Impreza at the time :D

now fowler u chill out! dry is one thing, in the wet no supra going to match a light 4wd vehicle!! that guy was obviously smoking the boom boom