Quick vs powerful

Guest lotus49

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice post tdaper, I'd say that's pretty fair and unbiased summary.

I can't comment on the differences between supras myself as I've only driven mine so far. It has uprated suspension tyres and wheels so it's probably not a totally fair comparison but I'd say the feedback (steering included) is very very good, steering is extremely accurate and precise. So the capability is definitely there when all is up together. Some cars are going to be let down by worn parts than that can't be helped, some of these cars will be 13 years old now, so bushes, suspension etc and the odd ropey speedo conversion won't help. Rest assured if you get one in good condition, or uprate the parts yourself, then the car has a _lot_ to offer.

It strongly agree that speeds in the car can be very deceiving indeed, you usually appreciate just how fast when you pass other cars or have to slow for the next bend! Also, because of the power and low down torque, you need to learn to feather the throttle, good throttle control is essential, more so than on cars with less power and more traction, but this is a good skill to aquire and can enable you to be very quick.

Also yes it's true that rltc only does what you should do with your right foot, but it's a good safety feature for that moment when you are making swift progress and the road conditions rapidly change...

I would say the j-spec ceramic turbos coupled with the manual box makes for a very dynamic driving experience, the turbos are virtually lag less and making useful positive boost from 1500rpm! With the 6 speeds too, coming from a more rally like car this would probably give you the driver involvement that you are looking for :D

I guess mostly everything has been covered, you need to drive a good one and decide if it suits you. If people on here are offering to take you for a spin or even a test drive then that's a perfect opertunatey to see what you think and make your own mind up.

Edit: I'd also agree, the GTR32 is another one to consider, it might be closer to what you are looking for, it's another big car though and so there will always by situations where are smaller lighter car would come out better, but these are the exception not the rule.

Guest dee_rz

From my point of view you have to look at it this way it's driver taste and how you want your car to feel i have now owned and driven lots of other cars before my current car choice (nk 4 supra tt manual) the list is as follow

honda nsx 3.0 (96) test driven

nissan 350z test driven

porchre boxter s (02) test driven

civic type r (326 bhp i owned)

bmw e46 330 ci

subaru imp sti (02)

many others i haven't listed too, all above i was impressed with in there own ways but all round i was blown away more with the mk4 supra i now own, but this means nothing it depends on the person, for want you want i think maybe go with something 4wd again maybe with a little more power as you say you want more but don't disgard the other cars you are thinking about, go drive one and give it a rag if you can.

i love my supra to bits it is amazing it grips like hell and all round is just damn good, you can't give it to many beans in the wet and that's my only negative thing to say but who wants to drive hard in the rain... there is just no point :)

i hope you find something you sound like a nice guy and you really want to make the right choice but you'll have to go test drive fella, sometimes people do think a few of us on here are supra snobs but some are misundstood we just love are cars and i think many feel like i do, we respect and like other cars just as you do i for one think that the scoob is a great car, i have a many friends with scoobs :cool:

Guest lotus49

Thanks for that Tom and Chilli. You (and others) have given me plenty of food for thought and you have both given considered and very useful responses to my question.

Thanks also for the offer of being taken for a spin. I'd take you up but I'm in Yorkshire, which isn't exactly handy for you.

I think my next move is to try to arrange a test drive.

As to Chilli's comment about sometimes appearing to be Supra snobs, I never thought that and I am trying my best to make sure you don't all think I've just joined so I can boast about my Scooby at the expense of Supras. I really wish I could afford both. I shall be buying a second car soon, but it's going to be for my wife once she's passed her test and somehow I don't think a 305BHP Impreza or a 600BHP Supra will really be that suitable.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Guest Terry S
Hey mate i was in the same boat! I used to have a Supercharged CTR pushing 300hp! Obviously was not so good off the line...but did beat Subaru's up 2 350hp and evo fq340's after 60!

I wanted (still want.... currently without a car) a fast car Supra or skyline with around this hp!

The answer to ur question is Yes....if u were to race a true 600hp supra (beat example terry s) It would leave you.....Maybe not quite hw u'd think double ur hp should....But u'll be left behind

Steve, if you remember the facts, my car was closing its throttle due to old fuel ( VVTi's do this as a safety feature), effectively the car didnt have anywhere near the power it should, probably from the feel of it, nearer 400bhp than 550/600 as it felt as flat as a pancake. Hope this clears the issue up for you?