The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel smell

Dash Rendar

Because I can't get hold of him. I took it back twice because of the fuel smell. The first time he told me it was because it was decatted. The second time I took it back he said he'd resolved it. The third time I complained he said he'd come out and fix it, but then didn't show at the agreed time. Then he didn't answer the phone or respond to emails. And now he's gone on holiday.

Is this serious? Dare we even ask who this expert is? I bet they didn't hang about when taking your cash. Did you feel the "Improved responsiveness" feature they hawked at you? Did they mention the "pissing raw fuel in your engine bay" feature?

When are people going to stop buying these crocks of shit FPRs that do absolutely nothing good for the car? Your car is off the road now, and it could have burnt up with you in it ffs.

Stop buying FSEs. Power Boost Valves don't, can't, and won't boost power, and fail in a nasty way a damn sight more than they should. You know the stock one costs over ninety quid new? And you don't have it? Don't tell me, let me guess, it's still with the person who fitted the FSE valve.

Gah. I'm angry.

-Ian

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that sounds crap.you trust experts with your car and they fuck it up or bodge it. seems to be happning a lot round here.there is only a few people i would trust to do work on car.chris wilson,eyefi,and ian c.

its such a shame u cant trust people nowadays.you would not trust toyota with your car.

hope you get it sorted.

awww, club spirit cheers me up sometimes. 2 offers of a stock FPR inside an hour

Yeah, you guys are great. I really appreciate everyone's advice and the offers of the FPRs.

Anyway, it's all sorted now. I took it to a local garage who said the crimp ring thingie was too large for the hose and was causing the hose to get pulled on one side. That's what was allowing the fuel through. They cut the hose and reattached with a new clip and now it seems to be okay! I'll be keeping my eye on it though.

I'm relieved that it's not the FSE at fault (although it would have been in warranty anyway).

So, thanks again everyone! :)

I think you are blaming the product rather than the fitter Ian (and no need to mention names I think)

Both actually. I can't think of an aftermarket bit of kit that's had more failure reports. In addition it doesn't actually bloody do anything, makes it all the more ironic.

I think I sadly understand by what you mean with "no need to mention names"...

-Ian

Good to hear it's sorted Dash :)

The same 'fitter' installed my aeromotive fpr incorrectly, he set it to 68psi which ended up killing my new iridium plugs. I won't begin to go in to the other problems this 'fitter' caused... you know my feelings on the subject.

68psi! :eek:

I bet your car was slow and ran like a dog :)

-Ian

It didn't seem too much worse, but I was getting 10mpg. On boost it was spitting flames out the exhuast every time I took my foot off the throttle. You wouldn't beleive the amount of black smoke it was putting out!

Dude sorted it all out in the end though :)

36psi static is the accepted value. Mine measured that with a stock FPR on. I once tweaked mine around a bit and the differences were suprisingly large. At 40psi I saw 10:1 afrs, at 34psi that changed to 12:1's... That's with 720cc injectors so I assume that magnifies the effect, but even so, 68psi...

It's important that if you must have one of these devices, it's actually set up. If the same berk fitted yours as Homer's, I'd get it checked out. The fuel pressure adjuster screw is probably set to, mmmmmmmm whatever it came out of the box at.

-Ian

This worries me. I'm currently getting appalling mileage, but then again, it was p1ssing fuel out the FSE!!

Is there anyway to tell if the FSE is set up correctly? It seems to idle okay.

Give me a shout later Dude - will get you a small fuel pressure gauge that can be fitted to this so you can check all the time

Those little gauges should come with the damn valve in my opinion. It drops a hint to the less cranially endowed fitters (I like that word, "tuners" implies they know what they are doing :D ) that it matters what pressure it's at. Although it does give the FSE valve another bit to leak out of :p

-Ian

Those little gauges should come with the damn valve in my opinion. It drops a hint to the less cranially endowed fitters (I like that word, "tuners" implies they know what they are doing :D ) that it matters what pressure it's at. Although it does give the FSE valve another bit to leak out of :p

-Ian

Eeee...he's on form again today - having a good couple of days Ian...? :)

An email from someone who obviously went through a similar experience.................

The best is yet to come....

I drove the car the same day I picked it up to Southampton and had a

strong smell of petrol coming through the air vents. On closer inspection

at Millway they found that my fuel line had been upset during the EGR

being removed and petrol was being sprayed onto the top of the engine.

THE CAR WAS DANGEROUS TO DRIVE FOR CHRIST SAKE! What with petrol leaking onto the hot engine and my brakes leaking.....

......I would and will pass on the details of my experience to other supra owners I meet - heaven forbid other supra owners go through what I have gone through.....

Nuff said :(

Should be m8...although I will get him one delivered to his garage direct if he doesn't take you up on it...

Cheers Paul, good news. I've arranged to pop over to Darren's tomorrow to check the fuel pressure. Hopefully thats all it is!