6 speed clunky? Not any more!

CJ

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flat4_ire
How do you know, you had a Scooby! :p :D

ahh shut it, never cut corners on that either, and she ran like a dream for me! i must be one of the lucky ones

Is there any benefit from changing the transmission oil on an auto? How often should it be changed?

Andy

The auto need Toyota T-IV oil. If you have a search there are some threads on changing the oil...I think the main info is in the FAQ at the top of the Technical Section.

the Fuchs oil is a high grade ATF not a far thicker clear/yellow transmission or gearbox oil that causes the issues that are described in this thread ie difficult gear changes especially 1-2. I have no doubt that the straightliners have been using other fluids in their boxes for years. Toyota V160 may or may not be the best oil for the job. To say that a box will go pete tong just because its got a different oil type in it is just scare mongering. BTW the Fuchs stuff costs very similar price to the toyota stuff so its not exactly scrimping. I'll let you know how I get on with the fuchs stuff as my car currently has a thicker transmission oil in it and is a sod to drive from cold.

Auto boxes definitely benefit from an oil change. Both of mine displayed fantastic performance improvements simply from a drain and refill. I imagine a full flush through would have the box almost like new.

To say that a box will go pete tong just because its got a different oil type in it is just scare mongering.

I don't think so. When I was up at Phoenix getting my gearbox oil seals replaced - Mark told me - that my gearbox oil seals had been corroded because the wrong type of oil was being used.

Both Mark & Paul said that the V160 is the stuff to put in it.

I don't think so. When I was up at Phoenix getting my gearbox oil seals replaced - Mark told me - that my gearbox oil seals had been corroded because the wrong type of oil was being used.

Again though was it an ATF grade of oil or a transmission thicker grade? With a thicker grade of oil dynamic seals will get eroded quicker as from cold for sure the lubrication properties are gonna be lower. Cheap ATFs are also going to be wrong in the viscosity or should I say will not retain their viscosity properies for as long as more expensive grades. Quality grade ATFs should in theory if they have the same viscosity rating be OK to use. Oil technologies have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years and to carte blanche only consider using an oil designed 15 years ago is to discount that technology update out of hand. That is of course not to say I guess that V160 hasn't been improved over that time but I doubt that.

Again though was it an ATF grade of oil or a transmission thicker grade? With a thicker grade of oil dynamic seals will get eroded quicker as from cold for sure the lubrication properties are gonna be lower. Cheap ATFs are also going to be wrong in the viscosity or should I say will not retain their viscosity properies for as long as more expensive grades. Quality grade ATFs should in theory if they have the same viscosity rating be OK to use. Oil technologies have come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years and to carte blanche only consider using an oil designed 15 years ago is to discount that technology update out of hand. That is of course not to say I guess that V160 hasn't been improved over that time but I doubt that.

Well, go ahead and test it..it's your gearbox.

Quality grade ATFs should in theory if they have the same viscosity rating be OK to use.

I don't like those words "in theory" ;) Tbh - the guys at Phoenix know alot more about cars than I do.

I'd rather put my trust in the V160, recommended to me by a garage with an excellent rep on this forum - than something else.

Hehe :) Very true. Why do you think I've got myself a "Numpty" T-shirt ?

You can have one if you want Colin. :D

I already have several of those shirts in different variations. Numpty at mechanics, Numpty at computers etc etc :D

Oils may have improved with age...but the gearbox itself hasn't. It knows what it likes, and it has a very fussy diet. I had a situation where I had Toyota GB HQ faxing a dealer in order to insist that they used V160 fluid rather than the generic ATF fluid, and that was only a couple of years ago!

I bought mine from Steve Manley at Inchcape for about £11 per litre and you need 2 (ish). If you ring him I am sure he will send it out to you. Failing that, I know Envy also sell it.

11 quid is really cheap for V160 oil isnt it. thought they were a lot more than that.

Mark @ Phoenix told me the 6-spd on mine was the driest box he'd seen and tracing back the history it's only had V160 in it, so definitely seems the way to go, other oils may work but I wouldn't risk it and the box functions perfectly well with it. I've had the oil changed quite recently, it's a bit clunky in the cold but give it a couple of minutes to warm up and it's a dream.

I had v160 put in my getrag by phoenix a couple of months back an what came out was worrying considering it has a full service hist with mr t, not sure what oil was being used but it wernt the silky looking pink v160:limp: , still clunky at the moment even with the v160 in, just wondering if having your seals done improved it at all?

I had v160 put in my getrag by phoenix a couple of months back an what came out was worrying considering it has a full service hist with mr t, not sure what oil was being used but it wernt the silky looking pink v160:limp: , still clunky at the moment even with the v160 in, just wondering if having your seals done improved it at all?

Before, the seals were replaced - my gearbox was very clunky and the shifting gear wasn't smooth ... because of the leak. ;)

Now, with the seals replaced and the gearbox no longer leaking oil - gearshift selection & change is very smooth.