The mkiv Supra Owners Club

6 speed clunky? Not any more!

CJ

I'm glad you like the 6-speed now - bet it paniced/confused you at first! When I got my VVT-i it was a nightmare to shift when cold, and the oil that came out was the wrong colour.

I was truly pissed off Alex as I had really enjoyed the auto box and could quite easily have stuck with that (and therefore saved money) but decided to try the 6 speed. At first it was a mare - but, as I say, I am now a really happy bunny and can see why people enjoy the manual so much.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ, one bit of advice I would give is to not fit a short shift kit. I've driven a lot of manuals in the last couple of years and those with short shifts are far to clunky. They do provide a slightly shorter throw through 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6 but I honestly think its faster with the smoother shift of the standard linkage.

CJ, one bit of advice I would give is to not fit a short shift kit. I've driven a lot of manuals in the last couple of years and those with short shifts are far to clunky. They do provide a slightly shorter throw through 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6 but I honestly think its faster with the smoother shift of the standard linkage.

TBH, I am now very happy with it in its standard form ;)

TBH, I am now very happy with it in its standard form ;)

Don't bother with a B&M short shift CJ, makes the gear change slightly tighter but I don't think it's a justifiable mod especially mucking about with what already is a superb gearbox.

I think that whats happening is no-one really knows what to put in that box so they put standard manual box fluid in it. After speaking to Oilman about it its not doing any damage its just making your initial gear changes a bit more difficult. Most garages of a non toyota nature really wont wont imagine that an ATF will be in a high performance cars gearbox.

Eh?

a) I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed from various sources that the wrong fluid does damage the seals.

b) ATF in manual boxes is as common as you like.

Eh?

a) I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed from various sources that the wrong fluid does damage the seals.

It's been confirmed by Getrag themselves. There's a tech note from them on the subject on mkiv.com somewhere. You should never use anything but V160 oil.

Short shifters move the pivot point higher, which means the effort required increases. Simple leverage really. Matter of taste whether you prefer a longer easier throw or a shorter notchier one really. I quite like mine.

Eh?

b) ATF in manual boxes is as common as you like.

Hey don't shoot the messenger I am only saying what I have been told by someone that knows oil a lot better than I do. Bear in mind I know a lot about oil as I used to work in oil analysis and modern seals are relatively unnaffected by oils and most fuels. Different grades of transmission oils are generally only different in basic stuff like viscosity. Even mineral and non mineral oils don't adversly affect seals these days. Its not til you get into differing hydraulic oils of which ATF is one that you start to get into iffy territories and even then you have to get into nasty oils like skydrol before you start to perish non specific oil type seals.

ATF being common in manual boxes is a new one on me but thats not saying alot as I know aircraft transmissions not vehicle ones lol.

No they sell some good stuff that fuchs do. If you consider the age of these cars and how many of them have toyota history ie virtually none of them chances are high that quite a lot of them are running non V160 oils in them. You don't hear about gearboxs going bang every week now do ya? Seen a few diffs give up lately though so its worth considering changing that.

No they sell some good stuff that fuchs do. If you consider the age of these cars and how many of them have toyota history ie virtually none of them chances are high that quite a lot of them are running non V160 oils in them. You don't hear about gearboxs going bang every week now do ya? Seen a few diffs give up lately though so its worth considering changing that.

I don't know if you noticed but CJ, me and countless other people have had TROUBLE with their gearboxes when using something other than V160....so I cannot for the life of me work out your logic for wanting to use something else?? It's a 4k box and you want to scrimp on the oil??

Go with what Getrag recommend or have a lesser experience/reliability issues.

I honestly can't see the logic in trying anything else.

Getrag recommend "Esso ATF Dexron D21065" and obviously Toyota's equivient is V160 oil. If you can find the Esso oil then use that, BUT don't use anything else.

I don't know if you noticed but CJ, me and countless other people have had TROUBLE with their gearboxes when using something other than V160....so I cannot for the life of me work out your logic for wanting to use something else?? It's a 4k box and you want to scrimp on the oil??

Go with what Getrag recommend or have a lesser experience/reliability issues.

I honestly can't see the logic in trying anything else.

Getrag recommend "Esso ATF Dexron D21065" and obviously Toyota's equivient is V160 oil. If you can find the Esso oil then use that, BUT don't use anything else.

After what I have just experienced, I would have to agree with Alex. And at just £11(ish) per litre it is not exactly expensive.

After what I have just experienced, I would have to agree with Alex. And at just £11(ish) per litre it is not exactly expensive.

Can't believe how cheap it is nowadays!! It's great, there's no excuses!! :D

Protect your Getrag!!

V160 Oil - available from all Toyota Stockists!! (and that Steve Manley bloke :) )