The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet Scoop

paconnors

whenever the manufacturer's own figures don't suit us, it is a 'conspiracy', a 'gentlemens agreement', an unsavoury understanding, alien abduction, whatever....

The fact is that they saw fit to equip their own-market version with 20% smaller injectors, smaller brakes, less radiators, smaller fuel pump and milder timing:boxing: If that signals equal horsepower to you (wink wink nudge nudge) then it's fine by us mate:respekt:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chiefvinso

Maybe you need these extra bits as the uk spec has problems with overheating, warping of disks (due to extreme weight!), piss for fuel so larger injectors??? :sos: Come on j spec's I cant take 2, unless they were semi attractive females :respekt:

Guest chiefvinso
If it helps cool 5/6 cyl, then it is functional :)

At what point does it become functional? As you drive a PROPER sort of car (manual) lol do you have a diff cooler standard?

..the uk spec has problems with overheating, warping of disks (due to extreme weight!), piss for fuel so larger injectors??? ...

Chief, your desperation :drown: and lack of persuasive arguments speak for themselves.

I'll leave you to ponder on the 'too heavy brakes' idea, as well as mocking of the larger injectors:badidea: . After all one of the first 'mods' for JSpecs is to fit larger injectors and "UKSpec" brakes :ecstatic: (i.e. try to bring them up to the 326bhp level)

Admit defeat man:giveup: give it a rest, conserve energy so you can fight another battle.

One you may stand a chance to win perhaps.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel, it just isn't cricket:zen:

Guest chiefvinso

I didnt realise we were fighting, just merely pondering over something that has probably been covered many times before my intro to this forum.

I have lots of energy, so speaking without any backup here even if the jspecs are 280 then power to weight makes them equal. :boxing:

does anyone care about how fast it goes...oooo mine is faster because its got bigger injectors, better barakes, mines faster because the ceramic turbos spool quicker etc etc, we could go on all night!! let not eh!

its a supra through and through at the end of the day both uk and jap specs have similar features, positives and negatives whatever way you look at it

I didnt realise we were fighting

We're not.

It is not a fight, just laying down the *official* manufacturer's facts. Somewhere between the n/a and the UKSpec is the JSpec.:rtfm:

... just merely pondering over something that has probably been covered many times before my intro to this forum.

too many.

But it doesn't hurt to bring it up every now and then. It's all good, clean fun.:)

It depends a lot on the peripherals.

Everything else being equal it can hold boost with less drama at levels where the JSpecs would crap out. The stock fuelling is absolutely massive (AFR 10.5:1 at 22psi lol) and there is no risk of the turbines popping off because there is no glue involved.

At what point does it become functional? As you drive a PROPER sort of car (manual) lol do you have a diff cooler standard?

Thinkof the engine temps if you were to cruise through Europe at 155 for more than 20 secs! Its desinged (over-engineered), like a lot of things on the Supra to help reliability.

You see in the US where you're legally not allowed to go over 70 and in Japan where the cars are limited to 112mph its not as important. But to Germans and euros alike who've just shelled out on a M3 rival/beater they dont want something to compromise.

If it was a purely NON functional device, there would be no funnel to channel the air past the engine.

Yes I have a diff cooler as standard, LSD and all the other gubbins. The UK/Euro specs were the true 'fully loaded' original versions. Obviously since 96 there hasnt been a similar model to compare with.

"In my experience the J-Spec turbos are far more reliable at 1.2 bar than the UK ones. More than 1.2 bar and both types are miles outside their efficiency range and doing more harm than good" - Chris Wilson

"the J-Spec turbos seem to last longer than the UK ones, if not abused, and certainly seem less inclined to become smokey. 1.2 bar MAX!" - Chris Wilson

"Steel internals have a lot more lag, and when overboosting they seem to fail earlier" - Chris Wilson

"In my experience the J-Spec turbos are far more reliable at 1.2 bar than the UK ones. More than 1.2 bar and both types are miles outside their efficiency range and doing more harm than good" - Chris Wilson

"the J-Spec turbos seem to last longer than the UK ones, if not abused, and certainly seem less inclined to become smokey. 1.2 bar MAX!" - Chris Wilson

"Steel internals have a lot more lag, and when overboosting they seem to fail earlier" - Chris Wilson

im pretty sure Chris favours the Jap supra all round jake....could be wrong though

Guest Terry S
Hmm any other resources for your comment than one person Jake? Why not ask the hundreds of US owners their opinions on which turbos they'd rather own.

Jeez guys give it a rest. And how would the US owners know about the JDM ceramics?

Its been done to death so many times. Both have merits.

I don't agree on all of the above, especially the first statement - sorry.

There are *thousands* of 'UKSpec' type turbos in the States and they rag their tits really hard over there, especially with the ease of access to race gas.

The 1.2bar limit is very real for both versions, yes. In my view over 1 bar it's like signing a contract that you're taking their lives into your own hands (you do so as you bypass the fuel cut)