The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best Supra ever made was . . ?

Darren-K

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I do know what you mean. I wasn't expecting any real "Seat of the pants Dyno" difference but having had both types I could easily tell a VVTi car from the first few seconds of driving it.

You probably wouldn't notice the difference from the passenger seat though. It's a nice extra bit of torque at low revs (under 3500 rpm) nothing amazing but a welcome improvement.

So mine is the most sought after...yet I can't sell it?? I'm confused (I have leather, big brakes, RSP, 6-speed, vvti....)

Bobbeh - The VVT has lighter pistons, makes more torque and is a lighter car than the UK spec...it WILL make a difference.

The UK spec is definately second best IMO.

But if you're into serious modding then the BEST Supra to modify is the 1996-1997 Facelift Pre VVT-i (as per Ian C's supra). This has most of the nice features the VVTi got without the switch to MAF based fueling.

what was the best standard supra ever made ?

In standard form the UKSpec was the dog's bollox. Bigger injectors (by 20%), bigger fuel pump, wilder cam, more radiators, full leather, massive brakes, 17" wheels and more. All standard.

Only problem is that they stopped making them in 1996, so it's harder to find a low-mileage example.

If you're looking for the newest possible car then a late VVTi is your best choice, ideally one that hasn't been driven in the salty UK roads.

Why do you presume Im comparing it against mine? Im just talking generally :) I couldnt give a monkeys in reality hehe I'd be happy with any MKIV Supra that has turbos that work :D

Interesting point about the pistons, but do the fact that their are lighter mean they cant hold the power of the normal pistons?

So mine is the most sought after...yet I can't sell it?? I'm confused (I have leather, big brakes, RSP, 6-speed, vvti....)

Unfortunately you done too much to it mate. If you hadn't singled it, or at least hadn't made it run funny (your own admission), then people would be champing at the bit for it, me included.

Seriously if you put the engine back close to stock, I for one would be very keen - if I can't rely on it to work _perfectly_ all day every day, then I can't trust it to get me to work, and it's not the one for me.

Unfortunately you done too much to it mate. If you hadn't singled it, or at least hadn't made it run funny (your own admission), then people would be champing at the bit for it, me included.

Seriously if you put the engine back close to stock, I for one would be very keen - if I can't rely on it to work _perfectly_ all day every day, then I can't trust it to get me to work, and it's not the one for me.

It doesn't run funny...FFS...its runs fine, infact my missus who hates the Supra (cause it's loud and brash and draws attention) commented on how smooth it was yesterday, it's only downfall is that it doesn't restart from being used first time everytime......however it NEVER EVER FAILS to start.

If you think all highly modded cars run absolutely without their little quirks you're mistaken.

And any admission on here wouldn't stop the people looking on Autotrader me thinks....so it's not as cut and dried as you make out it is.

It doesn't run funny...FFS...its runs fine, infact my missus who hates the Supra (cause it's loud and brash and draws attention) commented on how smooth it was yesterday, it's only downfall is that it doesn't restart from being used first time everytime......however it NEVER EVER FAILS to start.

If you think all highly modded cars run absolutely without their little quirks you're mistaken.

And any admission on here wouldn't stop the people looking on Autotrader me thinks....so it's not as cut and dried as you make out it is.

I don't doubt that it's smooth, powerful and generally nice, but when you tell people that it cuts out on you under certain circumstances, they're scared off. Seriously, if you could fix that, I'd bite your arm off for the car - it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Oh I fixed that last week afaik...well put it this way I was in the situation to cause it yesterday and it didn't.

Anti Stall setup tuning :)

Alex, the problem you are having selling your car is because it is TOO GOOD for the normal guy in the street to appreciate what it is, and consequently they don't see the value.

You are most likely to find a buyer here, but the problem there is that most people here already have a MkIV !

I would have bought your car if it had been up for sale when I bought my VVTi ... no questions, and would have paid you more than £14.5k ... so be patient - there are a few buyers out there, but they have something in common with rocking horse manure !

Blimey...didn't know the skirts would put people off...I think they really add something with the Whiffin nose.....I hate the rest of the Veilside stuff but the skirts, I thought, were hard to beat.

Learn something new every day :)

I see Terry is dissing mine to pimp his own! :mad:

;)

My only observation would be that it seems these cars havent been owned long enough in the state they are in, it kinda looks like they've been built just to sell on, not exactly a confidence selling point when thinking about buying no matter how much you praise them.

My only observation would be that it seems these cars havent been owned long enough in the state they are in, it kinda looks like they've been built just to sell on, not exactly a confidence selling point when thinking about buying no matter how much you praise them.

Well that's cause you're not in the market and haven't bothered to ask.

My car is going to fund a house....don't know if you've noticed this but house prices are going up and up and it's not exactly easy to have your cake and eat it if you're a first time buyer.

I WOULD NEVER SELL IF I HAD THE CHOICE!!! I STRUGGLE TO ACTUALLY SEEM CHEERFUL WHEN SOMEONE PHONES UP ABOUT IT CAUSE I HATE THE THOUGHT OF IT GOING.

LOL mate you had a bad day? Tongue in cheek!

That's what the wink was for.... :D

I know you're only messing about...

Bobbeh...you can understand my frustrations I'm sure...if this is what potential customers think then I wish they;d talk to me about instead of deciding from their arm chairs...infact if anyone has a question I'm happy to answer it, most people that have contacted me have had the truth warts and all.

Yup, I personally think its got nothing to do with the car, just the right buyer coming along. Bad time of year to be selling, especially with the price jump in fuel this year, I think it woke a lot of people up.

Yeah indeed - hence I'm going to give up for this year, and try again next.

Guest Terry S
Makes no real world difference imho.

I think there is a big difference in the torque delivery on the VVTi, especially when modified, and the way the VVTi pulls the inlet cam timing back lowdown aids fast spooling too.

I think there is a big difference in the torque delivery on the VVTi, especially when modified, and the way the VVTi pulls the inlet cam timing back lowdown aids fast spooling too.

Don't forget yours put 13ft/lbs more torque down with slightly less boost and a 'smaller' turbo than mine... Gotta be the VVTi action doing that. The midrange shove must be fantastic.

-Ian