The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance mods for N/A

SuperSupra

but if you spend 5k on a na you can get better performance than what you would get with a standard tt, speaking for myself i want to go single so it would cost me say 5k extra for a good tt then another 3k making it a single for me to get not alot more than what i will get out of a na-t plus i have done a full respray and i have had all the interior done and plus i know all the cars history, and i know i am going on abit but would i find a full jap service history tt with one onwer and also one that has only done 62,000 miles the car has been looked after so much,

but that is why im going na-t

The full stop button not working then? :p

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still struggle with the economics here. Why spend 5k on top of a 5k (minimum) car to have something that isnt as good as you can currently buy for 7-8k? :conf:

either you:

buy a NA, then decide in hindsight maybe you should have bought a TT so look at a NA-T conversion.

Cost of car including turbo, fitting, set-up, additions and insurance approximately 10k which is about the same value of a great TT example.

or:

You have a NA and are familiar with history and condition.

You've spent approximately 6k (like me) modifying the car excluding general maintenance / repairs and are very happy with it.

You simply don't get money back on modifications after selling.

That 6k would be a loss. This is when a NA-T becomes a feasible consideration. But only just :) :(

PS. `Bromy` off this forum has had this conversion done by Thor, the BL kit i think....

maybe he could give us some impressions as to the difference????

Indeedy i did have this conversion, but through Vortex and Phoenix. The reason i deceided to have this conversion done were basically based on the fact that it is a facelift manual i what i consider the nicest colour and was bored with the lack of power after 3 years of ownership, i tend to get quite attached to cars and did not want to sell it. I was looking on supraforums in the n/a section and and this subject of charging the n/a was very popular with one kit being described as pricey but good quality (BoostLogic) so i got in touch with Terry Saunders and he imported me the kit with a few extras and Phoenix did a outstanding job of fitting it, now at present the car is producing low boost 6psi and it is a very grey area to the amount of boost you can run on a safely on a standard headgasket some say 8psi max whilst one guy is running 16psi, me i'm sticking with 6 psi and getting the gasket done early next year then i'll be able to run the boost levels that the T61 was designed for, overall i am very happy with the kit and fitment and most people would keep the boost levels as they are now but i have paid the initial money for kit and fitment so high bhp levels are only round the corner, if anyone is seriously considering the conversion i would highly recommend Terry and Mark, please dont pm me for a price contact Terry

Bromy, do you find the turbo means that you lose some of the NA responsiveness? Between driving my car and driving Keiths, mine is so much more responsive on the lower revs which I like and would hate to lose.

Faye, no that's why i said a lot of people would be happy keeping the boost level at 6psi (0.4 bar), with keeping the standard headgasket you keep the high compression (10.5:1 NA, 8.5:1 TT), so you keep that initial responsiveness then the turbo comes in and you are away again, the only drawback as i said with keeping the standard gasket is the amount of boost you can run but when i change my gasket i will lose the initial responsiveness but will be able to run higher boost, bit of a balancing act you give with one hand and you take away with the other

Faye, no that's why i said a lot of people would be happy keeping the boost level at 6psi (0.4 bar), with keeping the standard headgasket you keep the high compression (10.5:1 NA, 8.5:1 TT), so you keep that initial responsiveness then the turbo comes in and you are away again, the only drawback as i said with keeping the standard gasket is the amount of boost you can run but when i change my gasket i will lose the initial responsiveness but will be able to run higher boost, bit of a balancing act you give with one hand and you take away with the other

Thanks, like you I don't want to change my car, just considering new ways to take it up another level.