The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Turbo Manual or Auto??

max55uk

I usually drive with overdrive off on country lanes and find that I have a bit more control.I also thought I would not get used to an auto,but you've just got to get to know your car [the autobox] over time and always drive it with respect.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Def with time, you learn when the changes are going to be. think im just para because i didnt have much summer in mine and really want it to see plenty more. o/d turns it into a 3 speed instead of 4.... much easier then. unless u start to hit over 130 obviously ;)

Still great fun but IMHO if your looking for chucking a car round country roads auto is not for you. Great for straight line but i take is very carfully round corners incase it changes down when im not expecting it to

You need to use the car in MANU mode more often, this eliminates the above that you are concerned about:trust:

Your car will handle the same as a manual, you can come steaming into a bend on a country road (o/d off & Manu selected) in 3rd, then knock it in to

2nd just going into the bend.....and stick the power back on; on the way out:trophy:

Using the manu mode will ensure you stay in the same gear until YOU decide to change, give it a whirl:stickpoke

Yeah, manual mode is a godsend. Been using it a load in the wet the last few days. It really allows you to concentrate on how the car feels on the road and you can kinda back on and off the loud pedal safe in the knowledge there will be no sudden jerks.

Saying that though, I floored it in manual D from 30 tonight and managed to spin the wheels. Luckily I was going in a straight line.

i suppose its Personal preference.

Hit the nail in one. :)

My only worry is the twin turbo clashing with the Auto box....:badidea:

The last thing i want is cruising down the motorway at 60 & fancy a gearchange, drop my right foot & loose the back end!!??

I've seen a Auto TT which i'm hoping to purchase.....

Any advice apreciated, cheers

Learn how to drive...... :nyah:

Manual all the way, 6 gears says it all :) it's lovely, but you get out of it what you put in, if your not prepared to work with a manual then don't get one. If your buying an auto but it's going to be in manual mode all the time, my advice would be get the manual version in the first place!

Thing is, the supe is so torquey that unlike smaller 4 pot engines, you can go nearly everywhere without changing gear much anyway - it pulls well in 5th and 6th anyway when you want to just cruise...

Guest chiefvinso
Manual all the way, 6 gears says it all :) it's lovely, but you get out of it what you put in, if your not prepared to work with a manual then don't get one. If your buying an auto but it's going to be in manual mode all the time, my advice would be get the manual version in the first place!

Thing is, the supe is so torquey that unlike smaller 4 pot engines, you can go nearly everywhere without changing gear much anyway - it pulls well in 5th and 6th anyway when you want to just cruise...

:yeahthat: Autos are ok, manual is much more fun

lol well glad you’re of the same opinion chief :) I've always preferred manuals anyway but as good as the supe auto box may be, and performance figures aside, the manual is a really rewarding, engaging drive that for me is another part of the overall "driver experience" that I enjoy so much from the supe...

The problem is that there is no "definitive" when it comes down to personal preference.

The only definitive (objective) thing you could base a decision on are the facts.

manual = lower transmission power loss, more gear ratios, quicker official standard 1/4mile and 0-60mph times - everything else blurs into subjectivity if you're not careful...

Guest chiefvinso
The problem is that there is no "definitive" when it comes down to personal preference.

The only definitive (objective) thing you could base a decision on are the facts.

manual = lower transmission power loss, more gear ratios, quicker official standard 1/4mile and 0-60mph times - everything else blurs into subjectivity if you're not careful...

I concurr, but I still love the supe and they are a good car in all forms.

lol good point, but I guess 'drivability' only makes sense if you have a point of reference, like the manual version of the same car for example...

Would that be the same manual version that he has already said he owned previously? :rolleyes: Seems to me he already had a very good point of reference eh? :shrug: