The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Change, Priming ?

Probby

Hi folks, 

Curious but when you guys change your oil do you pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the key until the oil pressure light goes out to ensure you have oil pressure before running the engine?

If I wanted to do that, is it enough to pull the 30AMP EFI fuse to achieve this or are there better options ?

Thanks

Oil films are retained on metal surfaces for up to a month. There are additives common in engine oils that attract/bind the oil to a metal surface for the sole purpose of film retention on standing. Castrol pioneered a lot of this work in the 90's and they were so proud of the new oils they marketed them under the Magnatec brand with illustrations of oil bonding to metal.

The seeping away of the oil film is logarithmic with time, not linear. So you could drain your oil on a Monday and refill on a Friday and the oil film will still be 30% there from the retained old oil.

If you return to a car that has sat overnight and start it up only 45% of the oil film will have been retained at that start up. So there isn't much difference overnight to several days standing, because of the logarithmic time bleed on film thickness.

Edited by rider (see edit history)
  • Like 2

More important is to prime the oil filter by filling it with oil before fitting. I've tested back to back with and without this, and looking at oil pressure logs there is a small delay without priming the filter where engine spins without oil pressure. We are only talking about 1-2 seconds, so not likely to be that big of a deal given riders point above, but if you wanna be anal then i'd prioritize that over priming the system by spinning it over without starting

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike2JZ said:

More important is to prime the oil filter by filling it with oil before fitting. I've tested back to back with and without this, and looking at oil pressure logs there is a small delay without priming the filter where engine spins without oil pressure. We are only talking about 1-2 seconds, so not likely to be that big of a deal given riders point above, but if you wanna be anal then i'd prioritize that over priming the system by spinning it over without starting

I do this too ... amazing how much the filter takes on its own.  Cheers for all your responses