The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo conversion check list?

RKBA

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Do you have a w58 5spd transmission or something else?
The w58's are barely any good for 300bhp.

Also, so you already have an LSD diff?

It’s a 1994 so I think it’s a w58, I’ve not actually bought it yet but I’m going this weekend so I’m kinda preparing, I don’t think it has lsd no 

I reckon you'll struggle to hit a genuine 500hp without addressing the engine itself as well, you'll either need a TT headgasket to drop the compression ratio a little or some pistons if you want to do the job "properly". A damn good service and compression test would help as well. No point spending all the time and money on a tired engine that needs some attention first.

You'll probably need different spark plugs too as well as some sensors like Swampy mentioned and almost definitely an oil cooler at that level of boost etc. Oil pressure and temps would be something to keep an eye on with sensors. Even if it's just wired to the ECU, don't need gauges.

As someone who's been there and done it...whatever you think this is going to cost you before you start, be prepared to double it for a realistic idea of where you'll be financially by the end. Not trying to put you off or anything, just like to see people enjoy the process and not get disheartened/lose the love when things start to spiral.

I would personally just buy an already turbo'd car, I had a manual na and I was going to turbo it but then with all the faff of getting it all set up I just couldn't be bothered.

Unless the na manual you're going to look at is an absolute bargain it's just not worth it imo.

The lad who bought my na spent alot of money turboing it and only got it to 360bhp iirc

On 11/10/2023 at 6:43 PM, raddys said:

I would personally just buy an already turbo'd car, I had a manual na and I was going to turbo it but then with all the faff of getting it all set up I just couldn't be bothered.

Unless the na manual you're going to look at is an absolute bargain it's just not worth it imo.

The lad who bought my na spent alot of money turboing it and only got it to 360bhp iirc

Its up for 13k that’s why I’m going to look at it haha 

If your after 500bhp i would def recommend the whifbitz kit as its good piece of kit and with right mods can achieve 500bhp without opening engine, i have his kit on mine and is good quality, also everyone says the W58 box cant take more than 300bhp which is rubbish its not bhp that kills the box is the torque, i running 600bhp and 400ft lb torque throuugh my W58 and its fine just tell the mappers to keep torque as close to 400 as possible as normally when the box gets to 430+ torque that's when really asking for trouble. I also run heavy shot gear oil in my box and do drive my car and give her plenty of abuse and so far had no issues with box at all.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 6:08 AM, Suprakeith said:

If your after 500bhp i would def recommend the whifbitz kit as its good piece of kit and with right mods can achieve 500bhp without opening engine, i have his kit on mine and is good quality, also everyone says the W58 box cant take more than 300bhp which is rubbish its not bhp that kills the box is the torque, i running 600bhp and 400ft lb torque throuugh my W58 and its fine just tell the mappers to keep torque as close to 400 as possible as normally when the box gets to 430+ torque that's when really asking for trouble. I also run heavy shot gear oil in my box and do drive my car and give her plenty of abuse and so far had no issues with box at all.

Man speaks the truth!

• Like 1